Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are the club thin skinned and unable to take criticism?

Whilst I eagerly await the WAB article this week on their likely disagreement with the ending of RDZ's reign, (see their article about RDZ leaving and the impending critique of the decision, highlighting the clubs handling of criticism).

I feel that recent events have made me question the clubs seeming inability to handle any criticism.

So, is the club thin skinned and unable to tale any criticism? Or are we just reading too much into things over the past couple of years?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Half and half, the club have definitely made a few mistakes in the last few years, but on the whole good ones. At the end of the day they aren’t going to make a big song and dance about being wrong. I think internally they know they made mistakes on some aspects and would silently admit that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What mistakes have they made here ?

What is the criticism ?

The criticism I have is that this thread gives no context or detail.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I eagerly await the WAB article this week on their likely disagreement with the ending of RDZ's reign, (see their article about RDZ leaving and the impending critique of the decision, highlighting the clubs handling of criticism).

I feel that recent events have made me question the clubs seeming inability to handle any criticism.

So, is the club thin skinned and unable to tale any criticism? Or are we just reading too much into things over the past couple of years?
I suspect you have read too much into nothing :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What mistakes have they made here ?

What is the criticism ?

The criticism I have is that this thread gives no context or detail.

PB said this on Sunday:
“It’s not perfect, we are not perfect, so the system itself is still being refined season after season”.

Alluding to not the best recent transfer windows? Which they aim to fix.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
PB said this on Sunday:
“It’s not perfect, we are not perfect, so the system itself is still being refined season after season”.

Alluding to not the best recent transfer windows? Which they aim to fix.
Yeah, that's fair enough. There have definitely been some clangers. I guess there always will be. So the original post seems a bit odd.

As regards We are Brighton, he's not going to know anymore than anyone else. Just another opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, that's fair enough. There have definitely been some clangers. I guess there always will be. So the original post seems a bit odd.

As regards We are Brighton, he's not going to know anymore than anyone else. Just another opinion.

Annoyingly, CP suddenly have at least 6 great players and a briliiant manager.

Things so quickly. Hopefully Starlizard and Bloom have a transfer window that genuinely solves our obvious weaknesses.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Things so quickly. Hopefully Starlizard and Bloom have a transfer window that genuinely solves our obvious weaknesses..

It does need a good summer window. I'm not really concerned about Palace though. Maybe it's their time. But good luck breaching that top seven to any team. It's going to get harder.

I'm slouching off for cricket now though. Then remembering it's the Euros.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The vast majority of criticism is ill-founded and based on daft opinions without knowing the facts, that’s why. I don’t ever eagerly await anything from WAB

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I’m not sure what they’ve said/done that marks them as unable to take any criticism? Most things I’ve read they seem happy enough to admit that some things have been done wrong or they’ve made mistakes, that’s the complete opposite of being unable to take criticism.

Barber regularly when talking to talk sport in his various interviews throughout the season, admits the club does make mistakes and gets things wrong(recently a few weeks ago when interviewed about the profit figures). He generally says that it's a learning process and they will continue to make mistakes as we are not perfect but we do get a lot of things right. As for the parting of ways with Roberto, we'll have to wait and see.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We always look at these things through a social media lens.
i.e. someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong.
There is no nuance.

It has been fairly clearly articulated that both parties wanted it to work, but each sides red lines created an impasse.
i.e.
Roberto wants to build a squad capable of competing for champions league.
Tony needs to keep a sustainable wage structure in place.

For Roberto to get what he wants - Tony has to break the model.
For Tony to get what he wants - Roberto has to rebuild the squad each season.

No blame on either party.
De Zerbi arrived at the club too soon. That's all.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014

Things so quickly. Hopefully Starlizard and Bloom have a transfer window that genuinely solves our obvious weaknesses.
I wouldn't worry. They'll become victims of the cherry pickers like we were/are. Any team that mounts any sort of challenge towards the top 7 has a bigger task trying to maintain it. Constant speculation for players and the manager can change things very quickly as we have found out this season.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't think anything has changed here. The club definitely doesn't handle criticism well, that's not new. They need to be perceived as a 'Well run club' in all aspects.

But the issue here does seem to be that RDZ wants to push for Europe by making first team ready signings in multiple positions and the club don't. So it's not going to work. While I'd have liked to see more compromise, better to end it now than argue for another 6 months.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I wouldn't worry. They'll become victims of the cherry pickers like we were/are. Any team that mounts any sort of challenge towards the top 7 has a bigger task trying to maintain it. Constant speculation for players and the manager can change things very quickly as we have found out this season.
I wouldn't be so sure.
Beaky has proven before that he will overpay to keep the band together.
Both Eze and Olise have shown they are open to signing new contracts and staying put (as long as they keep a buyout option).

If he can't deliver on the stadium build (again) - I can see him try to deflect attention, by "backing the new manager" and going for a tilt at Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here