Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Barcelona the greatest team to have ever played football?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. Next question.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
They really did take the piss out of the champions of England. Just the look on Fergies face said it all, he simply had no answers or idea how to combat them. Loved the way they had god knows how many corners and not one of them was taken in the conventional way. Who needs a big target man up front?..That really is football at its purest and they really are a joy to watch. Just makes you realise how far we are away in this country from ever winning a world cup or a euros. Best team ive ever seen and their best years are still ahead of them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The whole target man thing is rubbish what are we a military operation now,you know the whole team has to come up before we can attack?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Best I've seen. Hate the way that that Biscuits bloke play acts though. Roy Keane would have shown him what a real tackle felt like. Messi is the best.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They play just like Brighton............................

....only (unfortunately) with much better players!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think I've ever seen football like it.

The beauty is that everything they do looks so simple.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
No this Barcelona team are not the best team ever. If the Dutch team containing Cruyff, Rep & co had the same manner of protection you are afforded in modern football this wouldn't even be a question.

Personally I'm bored to death of people eulogising Barcelona the way that they do. They have about 4/5 genuine world class players and at least three of the most overrated ones on the planet. If anybody is convinced that Valdez, Abidal and Pique deserve being heralded in such a manner, then they obviously haven't watched the same games that I have.

A more pertinent question would be: Are they the best of their generation - yes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the Dutch team containing Cruyff, Rep & co had the same manner of protection you are afforded in modern football this wouldn't even be a question.
This is why it's so hard to compare, the game has changed. Which is basically why Jamie Redknapp didn't say Messi was the best ever, pointing out what Maradona (for example) had to deal with every game.

I've only seen a couple of games with the 1970 Brazil side, so I can't compare them, and I've never seen a whole game from 1950's Real Madrid. I've watched a lot of Barcelona though and I'm pretty sure they're better than AC Milan's 1990 side.

I don't think I've ever seen football like it.

The beauty is that everything they do looks so simple.
They make it look beautiful, but it doesn't look easy. When a decent Team like Man U is pressuring them they have to pass so quickly it's easy to lose the ball, it takes a special team to be able to do what they do.

That really is football at its purest and they really are a joy to watch. Just makes you realise how far we are away in this country from ever winning a world cup or a euros.
It doesn't say anything about us winning Euros or World cup. Barcelona are a special side (as this thread discusses), the world cup and euros will be won by sides no where near that quality (in fact, it's possible that every world cup and euro has been won by a side worse than Barcelona). When England do poorly on the world stage everyone complains that we can't hold the ball and pass it like latin sides, but that hasn't stopped Germany winning a hatfull of trophies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can only beat your opposition, and lets face it, there isn't much of that about.

The question is:-
Is that because Barca are so much better than everyone else?
or
Is everyone else a little bit sh*te?

I think the current Utd team is weak by comparision to most of their former teams.
But I don't really see any of them doing a number on Barca last night, either.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ajax are worthy of consideration in this conversation. The team of Cruyff, Krol, Neeskens and Keizer played a revolutionary kind of football that has shaped the modern game, in terms of their movement, fluidity and their pressing. You can even see the impact that their team had on the dominant West German team of the 1970s, at around the point when English international football began to be left behind again. I think in particular, the 1972 Final against Inter is a joy to watch, as Ajax breached supposedly the world's meanest defence time and time again. Ajax won three successive European Cup finals, completely dominating each of the three finals. Over to you, Barca.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think they are the best team I've ever seen. I can't think of any that could have beaten them last night.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Rooney is actually an American solider.

When they went 3-1 down last night, he reverts to type.
Gives the impression that everyone else he plays with is cack, and tries to do it all himself.

Strangely enough they (or we when he does this for England) still lost, and in fact looked even less like winning, from that point on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that if you put Messi in any of the top teams it would make them probably the best team around but conversly take him out of Barcelona and what have you left a reasonable side but certainly not world beaters. The world beater is Messi if given space and room like Man Utd allowed him 2nd half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here