Are Albion fans too nice?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't think it helps the team shouting at the manager during the game however I would give him until the start of January and see if he buys or brings in a couple of good players! I still think we are better than our league position. Come on the Albion:albion2:

Likewise although its not popular to say so...but who cares about that

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There's not been any real show against Hyypia at all yet.

Would there be many other clubs, with the expectation levels we have, who would be so quiet at games in relation to their thoughts about the manager?

Supporting the team at games is, of course, absolutely the right thing to do, but by now I would have expected more dissent towards Hyypia to have been put into the mix. It raises the stakes considerably because it's difficult for an owner/board to ignore or gloss over, particularly when it becomes a focal point for match reports in the media, which it generally does.

Are we too nice? Maybe we're just very patient.

At what point would significant vocal opposition to Hyypia's tenure become to be a feature at games?

It would seem that we are nice on the surface, but I think things are simmering slowly. I do recall an away match at Fulham many years ago, when a certain Barry Lloyd was barracked by several thousand Albion fans, much to the amusement of the locals, so when we have had enough, we are probably no different to other fans. You are quite right in so much as, as yet there has been no really vociferous noise, just the odd bit of booing at the end. Might I respectfully suggest two reasons for this muted response so far? Firstly, the team has managed to scrape draws, and away from home there have been some respectable performances, so it is not total doom and gloom, but bad enough, granted. Secondly, there may still be that subconscious gratitude for where we now find ourselves, as opposed to the wilderness years, and this may play a part in one's reluctance to boo.
As an aside, and I realise how controversial this is, I was rather hoping after going three down so early, that Derby would get a hatful, which is a real shame, particularly for the 600-odd hardy souls who made the trip. My logic for this is simply that this would have hastened the inevitable, as it feels that with every scraped draw we are just delaying the inevitable, like a lingering death. Another poor performance on Friday, and who would bet against it, and this will really get the crowd going, particularly after Millwall's result on Saturday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
People like myself just wont renew.

its called voting with feet and thats what will happen.

If our ambition is league one then they should just say so then people like me can choose not to renew and go to half a dozen games a season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It would seem that we are nice on the surface, but I think things are simmering slowly. I do recall an away match at Fulham many years ago, when a certain Barry Lloyd was barracked by several thousand Albion fans, much to the amusement of the locals, so when we have had enough, we are probably no different to other fans. You are quite right in so much as, as yet there has been no really vociferous noise, just the odd bit of booing at the end. Might I respectfully suggest two reasons for this muted response so far? Firstly, the team has managed to scrape draws, and away from home there have been some respectable performances, so it is not total doom and gloom, but bad enough, granted. Secondly, there may still be that subconscious gratitude for where we now find ourselves, as opposed to the wilderness years, and this may play a part in one's reluctance to boo.
As an aside, and I realise how controversial this is, I was rather hoping after going three down so early, that Derby would get a hatful, which is a real shame, particularly for the 600-odd hardy souls who made the trip. My logic for this is simply that this would have hastened the inevitable, as it feels that with every scraped draw we are just delaying the inevitable, like a lingering death. Another poor performance on Friday, and who would bet against it, and this will really get the crowd going, particularly after Millwall's result on Saturday.

That was my last trip to fulham. If he finn hasnt been sacked i cam see it happening again!!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Barry LLoyd played a few seasons for Fulham so I suspect not all of the Fulham fans were amused with the Brighton fans booing him.

Feb 14, 2010
Barry LLoyd played a few seasons for Fulham so I suspect not all of the Fulham fans were amused with the Brighton fans booing him.

Booing him? I think this is the same game I was referring too in an earlier post. It was an evening game midweek. Brighton fans were making fires on the terrace and a few police helmets were being thrown around after the MET tried to put a stop to it and there was a bit of commotion. The Brighton fans were singing "London's burning" and doing a bit more than booing the manager. I remember Brighton fans going over the fences and the players looking very sheepish as they were scuttling off into the cottage to merciless abuse and worse. Brighton fans too nice? I could describe Brighton's following as many things but nice wouldnt be something that would automatically spring to mind.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Booing him? I think this is the same game I was referring too in an earlier post. It was an evening game midweek. Brighton fans were making fires on the terrace and a few police helmets were being thrown around after the MET tried to put a stop to it and there was a bit of commotion. The Brighton fans were singing "London's burning" and doing a bit more than booing the manager. I remember Brighton fans going over the fences and the players looking very sheepish as they were scuttling off into the cottage to merciless abuse and worse. Brighton fans too nice? I could describe Brighton's following as many things but nice wouldnt be something that would automatically spring to mind.

Problem is WCP, most of the undesirables don't attend matches now, they just sit behind computer screens, having flashbacks of when they had a "tasty firm "

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No, I only started coming along when Brighton moved to the American Express Community Stadium. Do York have a soccer team?

So what happened to the other Bozza who traveled from the West Country :hilton: to home and away games before 2011 ???

Feb 14, 2010
Problem is WCP, most of the undesirables don't attend matches now, they just sit behind computer screens, having flashbacks of when they had a "tasty firm "

Its never gone away at Brighton as games against Leeds and others have shown. I doubt palace is any different.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its never gone away at Brighton as games against Leeds and others have shown. I doubt palace is any different.

Faces from the old days turn up at certain away games and you know some "pre-planning" and "networking" has been going on :lol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Have a day off FFS
Don't get all stroppy. You're a Palace fan posting in an Albion only thread and the only reason is to bait WCP who you Palace fans are obsessed about on the BBS.

So how about you take a day off and go discuss your team with your fans?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be starting the Sami out chants on Friday, enough is enough, time to let the board know how we feel.

Don't think it helps the team shouting at the manager during the game however I would give him until the start of January and see if he buys or brings in a couple of good players! I still think we are better than our league position. Come on the Albion:albion2:

More of this please

Likewise although its not popular to say so...but who cares about that

A question rather than a definitive point. Newcastle fans went NUTSO at the start of the season to get Pardew out. Banners, websites, chants the lot. He stayed but there was a remarkable turn in fortune ending with them beating Chelsea. Would that have happened without the protests? For me no. He was on an 8 year contract and knew he could coast it until the fans turned.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you asked me to protest against modern day football, price increases, overpaid players, too many foreigners in the game or Sky TV then if be there.

But an underperforming manager doesn't get me that bothered anymore. I suspect it's because after everything the club has been through this doesn't really touch me to be honest. I also think that ultimately any protests against Hyypia are anti Bloom and frankly he is beyond reproach for me because he has spunked serious money on the club and frankly we are extremely lucky to have him. That said his choice of staff could be improved in several areas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we too nice? Maybe we're just very patient.
No. Given that our owner is continuing to throw money at our club, and clearly wants the best for the club, I'm sure the best thing for fans to do is support the team and allow TB (and his team) to make whatever decisions are needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports