Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] April games moved (Man City A) - Spurs A - Southampton H

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
The EPL offer up ‘lots’ of games. So they they decide to offer up 180 games a season or whatever. Sure they could reduce, but how many chairman are going to agree to the risk of decline in revenue (actually the last rights deal stayed the same)

I can’t see 14/20 clubs agreeing to reduce amount games on tv and reduction in tv money - especially when even our own club is losing £67M In our last set of accounts

And actually for tv money it benefits the smaller clubs - because they have smaller stadiums, less opportunity for big sponsorship deals. So take that out and the gap gets even bigger
The more competitive the league is more chances on being on TV also a lot more Thursday games than ever before

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The more competitive the league is more chances on being on TV also a lot more Thursday games than ever before

They're not slots though. It is because of the covid postponements and combinations of FA cup games, Champions League, Europa League etc

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
They're not slots though. It is because of the covid postponements and combinations of FA cup games, Champions League, Europa League etc
They were 2 separate observations.agree with you on all the other things maybe eventually things might settle down a bit.more European competitions like that European conference wouldn't help

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly.

But i have never understood the answer you get from our club (and others) that the schedule is dictated by the tv companies. It is, but I can't understand why the clubs and the EPL allow it to be like that.

Every time the rights come up there is a bidding war. Everybody wants the rights to the EPL. When you have such competition for the rights it becomes a sellers market. The EPL can then set the terms for granting the rights and could, if it wished, include a clause restricting the number of changes to the schedule that can be made once the season has started.

It is the EPL clubs not the tv companies that have the power. They should use it.

But the changes to the schedule are due to the slots and games the EPL decided to sell to maximise their revenue in the first place. They want Sky to have a choice month by month in what games to put on TV. Cos they get more ££s and TV gets the games they want (Ie: fewer mid table bore fests) Monday nights, Sunday evenings, Saturday lunchtimes etc
They could be stricter about if/when games are actually announced - although they are better now than a few seasons ago - and they definitely could do more (transport, ticket flexibility) for fans affected but the different times for matches (it’s not all TV / Europe / cup / postponements all don’t help either) is the point. TV want multiple games that don’t clash with each other to maximise viewers and advertisers. And It’s what the EPL have sold to BT/Sky etc . And it’s what the clubs want - although Albion do kick back about schedules some times - as it’s their main source of ££.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here