Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple TV

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do like Gary Oldman, so may go for the free trial to watch this. Thanks for posting.

Aside from Ted Lasso (which I haven't seen, but would probably like), is there anything else on AppleTV+ that people would recommend?

I quick search suggests there's not an awful lot - the Morning Show seems to be the biggest hit, but I'm no fan of Jenifer Aniston

Obvious one, given last night, but I enjoyed CODA more than any of the other nominations (though it isn't flawless). It's also where you can find the fellow nominee The Tragedy of Macbeth a Joel Coen take on shakespeare starring Denzel Washington.

There's a live recording a performance of Come From Away - a broadway show about the town that hosted lots of planes and their passengers when the planes were not allowed to land in America due to 9/11.

I've not seen it, so this is passing on reviews rather than a personal endorsement, but Severence is supposed to be really good - from Ben Stiller it's a series about a company when workers can have a procedure that causes them to forget their homelife while at work (and I think vice versa). Not related to the British Danny Dyer-starring horror movie from a few years ago

Last edited:

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I do like Gary Oldman, so may go for the free trial to watch this. Thanks for posting.

Aside from Ted Lasso (which I haven't seen, but would probably like), is there anything else on AppleTV+ that people would recommend?

I quick search suggests there's not an awful lot - the Morning Show seems to be the biggest hit, but I'm no fan of Jenifer Aniston

I very much enjoyed "Tehran" - a spy thriller about an Iranian born jew working for Mossad.

Second season coming in May, and as I got a 3 month trial with my new work phone I shall be utilising it to watch that and anything else that piques my interest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it there's another thread somewhere that states how great Ted Lasso is?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Looks promising:

The adaptation of the award-winning novel from Mick Herron, Slow Horses follows a team of British intelligence agents who serve in a dumping ground department of MI5 due to their career-ending mistakes. Led by their brilliant but irascible leader, the notorious Jackson Lamb.

Starts on Friday.

With Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas.

I have read all the books, very very good.

The spies at Slough House are the antithesis of James Bond, all screw ups with a variety of addictions and personality disorders.

I’m hoping this is as good as the books, if it is, it will be spoken about as a television high for years.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I very much enjoyed "Tehran" - a spy thriller about an Iranian born jew working for Mossad.

Second season coming in May, and as I got a 3 month trial with my new work phone I shall be utilising it to watch that and anything else that piques my interest.

Just watched the first episode ... very good ... cheers for recommendation :thumbsup:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
We use a Roku stick to access Apple TV. It's close to our router and we have very very fast and reliable broadband.

But ... every now and again the picture sort of stops/stutters. I Googled it a while ago and it seems to be a 'thing' - possibly a software glitch.

Netflix, Disney+ etc etc all run perfectly.

I wondered if Apple TV boxes have the same issue??

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’ve got Apple TV box but not a subscription. I mainly use VLC on it to playback movies I’ve downloaded (which you can transfer to the internal storage).

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Obvious one, given last night, but I enjoyed CODA more than any of the other nominations (though it isn't flawless). It's also where you can find the fellow nominee The Tragedy of Macbeth a Joel Coen take on shakespeare starring Denzel Washington.

There's a live recording a performance of Come From Away - a broadway show about the town that hosted lots of planes and their passengers when the planes were not allowed to land in America due to 9/11.

I've not seen it, so this is passing on reviews rather than a personal endorsement, but Severence is supposed to be really good - from Ben Stiller it's a series about a company when workers can have a procedure that causes them to forget their homelife while at work (and I think vice versa). Not related to the British Danny Dyer-starring horror movie from a few years ago

"Enjoying" Severance: it's pretty damn creepy. Some really good acting performances.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looks promising:

The adaptation of the award-winning novel from Mick Herron, Slow Horses follows a team of British intelligence agents who serve in a dumping ground department of MI5 due to their career-ending mistakes. Led by their brilliant but irascible leader, the notorious Jackson Lamb.

Starts on Friday.

4 episodes in, really enjoying it. Nice humour.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looks promising:

Starts on Friday.

Just finished the final (6th) episode.

Enjoyable series, Oldman was great.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Looks promising:

Starts on Friday.

Two episodes in and very good. :thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
More good news on Slow Horses.....

According to the Hollywood Reporter, it has renewed the show for four series, two more than previously thought.

The final episode of Slow Horses showed a teaser trailer for series two, which was shot back-to-back. The site says: “Season two is based on Dead Lions, the second novel in Herron’s Slough House series and follows Jackson Lamb (Oldman) and his team as they seek to prove a Cold War-era colleague of Lamb’s was murdered.

“Seasons three and four will be based on the corresponding books in Herron’s series, Real Tigers and Spook Street.”

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jimmy Keene is sentenced to 10 years in a minimum security prison but he cuts a deal with the FBI to befriend a suspected serial killer. Keene has to elicit a confession from Larry Hall to find the bodies of as many as eighteen women.

Some great reviews, out Friday. Including the late Ray Liotta.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jimmy Keene is sentenced to 10 years in a minimum security prison but he cuts a deal with the FBI to befriend a suspected serial killer. Keene has to elicit a confession from Larry Hall to find the bodies of as many as eighteen women.

Some great reviews, out Friday. Including the late Ray Liotta.

Looking good for tomorrow, showing well on RT.

Black Bird.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Series two of Slow Horses, based on the book Dead Lions, will be broadcast later this year, but Apple+ TV has started production on series three and four, which will be filmed back-to-back. We’re awaiting which of Herron’s novels will the series will be based on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looks promising:

Starts on Friday.

Series 2 appears in December!

Good news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here