Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple ditches the headphone socket

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A friend of mine who is one of your fellow Android types shared an article with me from a site called something like AndroidNation that very carefully took apart the iPhone 7 and listed an Android device that had done each feature first.

It was brilliant, quite brilliant.

I determined that I would need to buy 15 different Android devices to cover all the features that the iPhone 7 has. I reckon I'll just stick to buying the one though.

Additionally, I watched the keynote very carefully last night and I'm not sure I once heard Apple say they were doing anything first or before anyone else. Maybe I just missed it.

:thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Have some respect and think of those unfortunate types who are forced to reevaluate their life work balance within a proprietary eco system.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
A friend of mine who is one of your fellow Android types shared an article with me from a site called something like AndroidNation that very carefully took apart the iPhone 7 and listed an Android device that had done each feature first.

I determined that I would need to buy 15 different Android devices to cover all the features that the iPhone 7 has. I reckon I'll just stick to buying the one though.

But still cheaper to buy the other 15 phones though, yeah? :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You could probably buy 15 android phones for the price of one iphone though.
The biggest reason to not buy an iphone is that the price increase does not reflect the difference in quality or ability of the device, if any.

It's pretty much on a par with other flagship phones, at least with the Samsung models I checked yesterday when this conversation was happening on another thread.

The key difference will be that the iPhone will have a far higher resale value in the future making it, effectively, cheaper to own than those similar Samsung phones.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe some top end ones. But you can get a huge range of android phones. Personally, the top end androids and iphones are not worth the extra cash.

That's fine, of course. As you say, there's now a wide range of phones, all largely decent, from cheap to expensive.

I'm not sure why there has to be so much bitching at those who are merely making a decision to spend their money differently.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
This pursuit of the latest devices is a thing to which I cannot relate.
I've had it with you and your new fangled gadgets.

sent from my iPhone 8

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
must admit I was given am ipod for christmas and find it not that great... i still prefer my MP4 player. I do realise the ipod has a camera and internet .. but I have a nice digital camera dn a smart phone that cover these .. i use it so as not to upset my son... i suppose im just a dinosaur set in my ways....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just think of all the children who will go without their macdonalds so mummy and daddy can upgrade, benefits can only go so far you know

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
must admit I was given am ipod for christmas and find it not that great... i still prefer my MP4 player. I do realise the ipod has a camera and internet .. but I have a nice digital camera dn a smart phone that cover these .. i use it so as not to upset my son... i suppose im just a dinosaur set in my ways....

Blimey there was me thinking you just went back to the Romans

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apple products are God's way of saying " You are earning too much money "

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There was a fairly significant queue outside the Apple store in Churchill Square when I went past at lunchtime today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Additionally, I watched the keynote very carefully last night and I'm not sure I once heard Apple say they were doing anything first or before anyone else. Maybe I just missed it.

Features are all very well, but the majority of us only use a small % of what the device can do........personally the top priorities for me were battery life, waterproof, decent camera and small size, so the Iphone wasn't the solution (I was an Iphone user up to the 4 - I wouldn't go back but each to his own)

Prices are getting a bit daft for a phone now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was an Iphone user up to the 4 - I wouldn't go back but each to his own)

I struggle with these myopic views. I couldn't say "I would never use X" where X could be an Android phone, Windows computer or the Indian takeaway down the road I don't like. Hopefully I have a fair few years life ahead where any of those things may become the compelling purchases they're not today. If they do, I'll buy.

Prices are getting a bit daft for a phone now.

Probably, but it's not an Apple thing. Flagship Android phones, at least the Samsungs I looked at recently, were comparatively priced.

I'd also point out that the new iPhone is more powerful than many laptops: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/14/geekbench-android-a10 These things we carry around in our pocket are very powerful computers in their own right.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I struggle with these myopic views. I couldn't say "I would never use X" where X could be an Android phone, Windows computer or the Indian takeaway down the road I don't like. Hopefully I have a fair few years life ahead where any of those things may become the compelling purchases they're not today. If they do, I'll buy.

I think that is a valid point. I'm a huge fan of the Nexus phones Google commissioned but it is short-sighted to ignore other good technology. Apple, from the start, made extremely good hardware and the software was very very good, albeit locked down. Android was always more developer led and I think that allowed a great deal of innovation. Both are great, but something may come along that knocks them into touch. It's interesting that both apple and android have moved closer over the past couple of years with the new pixel phones being less developer friendly for instance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here