Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently Reading have planned this for 16 YEARS

1066gull

John Madjeski said that he planned to take Reading right to the top, SIXTEEN YEARS ago. They had 8 years of Elm Park before finally moving in the Madjeski Stadium.

It took them FOUR years of having Mad Stad to get in to this league, runners-up to us.

FOUR years later they are now promoted to the top flight.

Lets say Reading's average attendances over the past 8 years were 18,000 whilst ours were 6,000. Ticket prices were priced at an average of £20 for both sides. Both sides have 46 games a season.

Reading have recieved an average £140,000,000 over these 8 years of having the Mad Stad.

Brighton have recieved an average of £50,000,000 since loosing the Goldstone.

One thing that has made the difference making Reading a better team than Brighton within these 4 years is.......a stadium.

Last edited:

1066gull

Well, some people complain why we are so shit all the time.

We recieve only a little £2.5million of season tickets. That is nothing, rarely 10% is used on buying players as most goes back in to keep the club running.

*Figures were on an average of 6200 season ticket holders buying a season ticket on an average price of £400

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Despite the sarcasm he is right.

When we were in the boardroom earlier Steve Coppell appeared on the screen.
Dick said he would phone him to congratulate him. In fact he laughed and said, 'Shall I phone him now to make his phone ring whilst he is being interviewed'
:lolol:

Kinda puts a different slant on Coppell being forced out because of the compensation in 2003.

1066gull

Re: Re: Apparently Reading have planned this for 16 YEARS

Edward Scissorhands said:
Whoops:jester:

I need to double my figures. :spam:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am actually very pleased for Reading, they have done well as have Wigan which means one day our chance will come as well.

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
You can do eeeeet.

I know you've waiting around 20 years to get back to the Prem... just think how 135 years feels like.

Come and join us in a year or so (granted I hold no certainties about where we'll be).

If Reading can do it with 23,000 every week (*until ground expanded) then Brighton definitely can too...

Greatest day in RFC history...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why aren't you out celebrating Wilts? Good to see you here though.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
In Bournemouth unfortunately! - Not the world's most exciting place... Especially with all the lads up in Leicester somewhere, a subtle glass of red wine and a chillout night is needed!

Still doesn't hide the ecstatic mood though!

Its been a while - I remember the NSC meetup of a few years back (where Berks and Turkey/Danny Seagull ended up in bed somewhere in our hotel in Kemp Town together - in a strictly manly sense obviously)... great times were had. :clap: :clap:

Good thread, it's always interesting to compare such fates, I think.

Especially poignant with Reading, who jealously eyed our players and fortunes, snagged a couple plus our manager.

It stirs the potload of anger still simmering away, that we are without a stadium due to the opposing intentions of chairpersons attached to the respective clubs.

It makes me m...m.... ma.....ma..... :angry:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
May I add my congratulations to Reading and please anyone looking at this thread look at the one Hiney has posted about his friend who sadly died. It brings tears to your eyes that the bloke is not there to see his team promoted. My old boss was a Reading fan (he was forced out by Senior Civil Service job moving rules) and there are few blokes with greater generosity or integrity that you could ever meet. Hope you're having a large one tonight, Simon:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Thks for the words all round...

The Nice Mr Hi.... phrase is quite apt:

"Especially poignant with Reading, who jealously eyed our players and fortunes, snagged a couple plus our manager".

I remember losing players to Wimbledon (now MK f8888g Dons) in the 80s. Swings and roundabouts.... we'll all get there....

Still celebrating though out of red wine/port.... struggling..............................

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
div2champs7iz.jpg

:p

A van der Meyde said:
Lets say Reading's average attendances over the past 8 years were 18,000 whilst ours were 6,000. Ticket prices were priced at an average of £20 for both sides. Both sides have 46 games a season.

Reading have recieved an average £140,000,000 over these 8 years of having the Mad Stad.

Brighton have recieved an average of £50,000,000 since loosing the Goldstone.
Let's do the maths again.

Reading's average attendance over the past six years has been 15,258. If we assume an average ticket price of £20, that's £7 million a year. If we apply that to the last 8 years, it comes to £56 million.

The same calculation for the Albion would result in an income of £24 million in 8 years (based upon an average attendance of 6,541 in the past 6 years).

In any event, we need to lop something off both sets of figures, because of discounted tickets and the fact that VAT means that Clubs only keep £17 from every £20 ticket sold.

So make it £45 million, compared with £18 million - a difference of £27 million, rather than the £90 million claimed by 1066.

Still very significant, but let's not get carried away.

And I've adjusted all the figures to reflect the fact that Clubs get the income from just 23 home league matches a year.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here