Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparent travelers cheque lies in Greece

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
SeEThought I'd do my bit and share the info in case anyone's off to the Greek islands any time soon...

---
From Thomas Cook UK Facebook page:
Update Your Browser | Facebook

As you chose to delete my last post - rather than defend yourself - here it is again for those who missed it first time around! I posted this on Thompson wall too as they are doing the same thing - lets see which holiday company will actually have a reasonable response instead of hitting the DELETE button!

I work in a tourist office in Sunny Rhodes, Greece and have experienced this season many worried guests telling us that their Travel Agent or Rep (Thomas Cook) have advised them that Travelers Cheques are no longer changed in resort. What a complete and utter load of rubbish, we continue to change travelers cheques (sterling and euro cheques) and the fact that you are blaming this on the “Current Greek Financial Crisis” is even more laughable.

The real reason that you are telling people this is because you are shamelessly trying to boost sales of your own “currency cards” which no doubt you earn a lot more commission on.

Not only are you scaring your OWN customers, you are also damaging the reputation of the resorts and Greece as a whole. Who wants to come to a country in financial meltdown? Sorry to disillusion you folks, but Greece is the same as it was 12 months ago, 2 years ago, 5 years ago – in fact the only difference is that you will get a much better exchange rate here now that you did last year!

Shame on you Thomas Cook and your rep’s for this type of scandalous behavior just to earn a few more quid in commission!
---

I don't think this is liable, I'm just passing the word on, however if it's too close for comfort, mods, feel free to get rid of it...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Just take sterling with you or US dollars. You'll be surprised how willing folk are to get hold of those currencies at the moment.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
No one in Crete would accept my credit card last year. The excuses were quite funny in the end. It was worth brining out the card just to see the look of horror on their faces.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Wouldn't surprise me that this might be spread to promote their own goals, but does anyone still use TQ's? Over the age of 60 then maybe :shrug:

As said, cash is King out there, although ATM's were a bit thin on the ground in the bit of Zakynthos where i've just come back from.

BTW, it's pretty dead out there, even at peak times, poor buggers; they cant do enough to help, be more friendly, pile your plate high enough, and still charge you a relative pittance. Support the Greeks.. :thumbsup:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Think of going there in October for a late break. Think I will take cash with me though always seems the wisest thing to do.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
BTW, it's pretty dead out there, even at peak times, poor buggers; they cant do enough to help, be more friendly, pile your plate high enough, and still charge you a relative pittance. Support the Greeks.. :thumbsup:

Everyone is mate. Via the IMF the ECB and stealth taxes across the EU. I wish the Greeks had decided to pay their taxes and sort out their ludicrously generous pensions and benefits a bit earlier.

Some extra chips for tourists and friendliness from barmen ain't gonna sort out the mess over there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here