Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apache Open Office

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
For a pc novice with very little knowledge basically what are the advantages and disadvantages between windows and Linux

Today is the first day of windows 10 for the general public, so to answer your question it may be better to wait until a full investigation of this new OS has taken place. I f however, you are not planning to upgrade to Win10 then with older versions the advantage of Windows is the amount of programmes over the years that have their blessing, although there a way to load some of these progs onto the Linux OS. I have my desktop computer with WinXP and Ubuntu installed giving me the choice. This is the way to go so you can investigate your self the differences etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

For a pc novice with very little knowledge basically what are the advantages and disadvantages between windows and Linux

The biggest difference is, you wont spend your computing life worrying about spyware, viruses or any other crap. I only have a basic firewall on my machine. Linux is at the stage where my dad friends who is 74 years old happily uses it. I don't get any grief and his machine still runs as good as the day I installed the OS. If you life is mainly spent on the Internet, Linux is ideal. If you need your programs such as Microsoft Office that's not available on Linux, however you could install a virtual machine inside Linux to run them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

in a nutshell
windows: + range of easy to use software, DirectX for games. - cost, lots of malware and nuisance software
Linux: + free, range of not so easy to use but free software. fewer malware. - no Direct X, some stuff isnt so easy to pick up.

if you use browser, bit of word processing, basic spreadsheet, theres no advantage to Windows other than familiarity. if you want to play games, have to stick with Windows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here