Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] AO - Lets Go

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The washing machine packed up this week, so the doris has been in my ear to source a new one. Found a Samsung on the Currys PC World website for £500 that she liked, earliest free delivery on Friday. I was on the brink of ordering (because I'm lazy), but then went to AO.com, after being earwormed by the frigging thing on radio ads for months, and found exactly the same model for £50 cheaper, and free delivery on Wednesday. Crushingly dull thread I know, but I'm just passing on the info in case anyone else is in the market for summink. Was mildly surprised at the price disparity for the same thing. I'm not on commission either, before anyone asks.

Been a good week for making/saving money. Super.

Neff. Or Mila. You won't regret it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My washing machine has been playing up. It's probably 15 years old now so its done its service. Given its a bank holiday this weekend seems as good as any to replace.

Anyone got any thoughts on Haier, Samsung or LG as washing machine manufacturers?

My old one was Mila. Had it for 20 years. Never failed once. Sold it for £50 when I bout the new Neff. Both are rolls royce machines.

My view is don't go for second best when you buy a washing machine, oven or shower.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Neff. Or Mila. You won't regret it.
Never heard of a mila.
Neff, Bosch and Siemens are all the same company, (BSH group).
Used to be a decent appliance back in the day...mid range now.
Apart from the bargain basement range, IE: the brands you have never heard of, appliances are all much of a muchness these days. Wouldn’t personally touch anything Whirlpool (Indesit, hotpoint). Hoover aren’t the brand they used to be in the old days.
Beko are a pile of shite.
Electrolux now own AEG, Zanussi, Tricity Bendix.
The white goods industry is mainly Italian, Turkish or Far East these days and poorer for it.

If you want quality (but they cost a bit), it has to be a Miele every time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When it comes to most appliances now, kitchen or otherwise, Samsung and LG can't be faulted IMO.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
When it comes to most appliances now, kitchen or otherwise, Samsung and LG can't be faulted IMO.
Having been fixing appliances for over 30 years, I can honestly say that those two should have stuck to televisions.
Build quality is poor and their parts seem to go obsolete far quicker than others.
They look nice though :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I know nothing about these things but have been told Bosch, Miele, Neff, Siemens are good, Indesit, Hotpoint, Whirlpool are not.

From someone who negotiates white goods extended warranties apparently :shrug:

So the first 4 makes you mention are all expensive, the other three less so.

We’ve just had our kitchen redone as part of a building project. Bosch built in freezer, built in dishwasher and freestanding fridge-freezer. All working very well, well designed etc etc........ touch wood. You get what you pay for, and we are in the later stages of life lucky enough to be able to pay for it.

Relevant to the thread OP, our built-in oven blew up a few months before we had it all done. AO were the place to go! Quicker and cheaper than anyone else.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the first 4 makes you mention are all expensive, the other three less so.

We’ve just had our kitchen redone as part of a building project. Bosch built in freezer, built in dishwasher and freestanding fridge-freezer. All working very well, well designed etc etc........ touch wood. You get what you pay for, and we are in the later stages of life lucky enough to be able to pay for it.

Relevant to the thread OP, our built-in oven blew up a few months before we had it all done. AO were the place to go! Quicker and cheaper than anyone else.

So true.

As a great philosopher once said "Here's a little bit of advice, you're quite welcome, it is free. Don't do nothing that is cut price, you know what that'll make you be" :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never heard of a mila.
Neff, Bosch and Siemens are all the same company, (BSH group).
Used to be a decent appliance back in the day...mid range now.
Apart from the bargain basement range, IE: the brands you have never heard of, appliances are all much of a muchness these days. Wouldn’t personally touch anything Whirlpool (Indesit, hotpoint). Hoover aren’t the brand they used to be in the old days.
Beko are a pile of shite.
Electrolux now own AEG, Zanussi, Tricity Bendix.
The white goods industry is mainly Italian, Turkish or Far East these days and poorer for it.

If you want quality (but they cost a bit), it has to be a Miele every time.

Sorry M(ih)BL. I meant Miele. :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You're not wrong, its more than I wanted to pay. Especially as you can get the same machine for £80 cheaper, the only difference being it hasn't got the "door within a door" flap that lets you open it up and toss a loose sock in halfway through a wash (like it'd be a DISASTER if some forgotten garment had to wait till - gulp - the NEXT WASH). :rolleyes:

However, she won me round by correctly pointing out that we could buy a cheaper make / machine for £300-odd, but it wouldn't come with the extended 5 year guarantee that this one does, so you'd just end up spending £100-£150 extra on that anyway. Or maybe she's mugged me off, I dunno. I have little patience when it comes to buying things I do not understand how to use.

Ah - but does it play a little tune when it's finished? That's how she sold it to me. Bit like, "let's buy this new more expensive car" - 'we don't actually need a new car' "it has Digital Radio...." - she knows just what will and won't make me choose!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ah - but does it play a little tune when it's finished? That's how she sold it to me. Bit like, "let's buy this new more expensive car" - 'we don't actually need a new car' "it has Digital Radio...." - she knows just what will and won't make me choose!

Indeed it does. It whistles a pleasant little inoffensive ditty that is loud enough to hear from wherever in the house, but not loud enough to annoy. Its quite lovely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having been fixing appliances for over 30 years, I can honestly say that those two should have stuck to televisions.
Build quality is poor and their parts seem to go obsolete far quicker than others.
They look nice though :)

I hesitate to say because by doing so I just know I'm tempting fate, but I have a Samsung fridge and various phones, and have done for years, without a moments trouble. I guess I've been lucky!

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I hesitate to say because by doing so I just know I'm tempting fate, but I have a Samsung fridge and various phones, and have done for years, without a moments trouble. I guess I've been lucky!
Fridges are ok Dave as are phones.
Wouldn’t touch their washing machines though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here