Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyway of getting Freeview without sky or virgin etc.....

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
In Newhaven area (yes i know you all think the area is a shit hole) appears it dont switch over till 2012, but where i used to live didnt change over till then and i could still get freeview, but in Newhaven i cant, dont really fancy getting Sky as im not working and its not a priority, but i am fed up of BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4. Just wondering if anyone knows how i can get it, without having to subscribe to a company. ???

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
With a freeview box.

...and to think, I always wondered why the BBC wasted all that money on those adverts to help people with the digital switch.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What you need is a dish and a freesat box and you are good to go.

Trouble with Freeview is even when we can get it, I can bet you if you live in Newhaven or Peacehaven your aerial will eventually be blown to pieces. Which is why Freesat is the way to go.

So just to stop the confusion

Freeview, requires an aerial and freeview box
Freesat, requires a dish and freesat box

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
With a freeview box.

...and to think, I always wondered why the BBC wasted all that money on those adverts to help people with the digital switch.

i have a free view box there is no signal.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I did get freeview in Peacehaven but I had to buy a wideband aerial and point it towards whitehawk. But it just got blown to pieces with the wind, which is why I installed Freesat in the end.

we just had these new things installed, as were not allowed sky dishes on the property any more and we have this new aerial, why i thought we might be able to get freeview so went and brought a box and we bloody cant.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Nip along to B&Q and pick up a Freesat HD kit. Think they were £59 the last time I looked, Dish, box and instructions simples. Get more channels than Freeview and HD provided you have a Freeview tele. Requires a little bit of work but is not brain surgery or rocket science................. Oh! maybe it is in a way.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
were not allowed a dish on the property

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes sorry just seen that. Is it a flat?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
only thing is i have all the cables for a sky box with this new aerial if i brought i freesat box i wonder if i could just plug it in, as the new socket in the wall has a satellite socket and a standard aerial socket.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ok. I guess that means you are not allowed to screw stuff on the brickwork. Beg borrow or steal a 6 footish scaffold tube. Find a site in your garden that looks due south and can see about 12 degrees above the horizon.
Just bang the tube in the ground and stick the dish on it. You may have to buy a satellite finder gadget for about £15. I have done this a couple of times on MOD properties, where you are not allowed to add stuff.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
If there is not sat dish where you live then don't waste your money on a freesat box.

It just looks like your going to have to wait until the transmitter @ newhaven goes digital in May 2012.
Then you will be able to get Freeview with a standard aerial and freesat box.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Ok. I guess that means you are not allowed to screw stuff on the brickwork. Beg borrow or steal a 6 footish scaffold tube. Find a site in your garden that looks due south and can see about 12 degrees above the horizon.
Just bang the tube in the ground and stick the dish on it. You may have to buy a satellite finder gadget for about £15. I have done this a couple of times on MOD properties, where you are not allowed to add stuff.

Good idea. As long as their are no buildings in the way that will work.
This is what he would need to line it up?
Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2D at 28.2°E - LyngSat

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Not sure why you can't get any freeview from Newhaven. My son lives in Peacehaven and has his ariel pointed to the Newhaven transmitter and receives the full freeview service quite ok. Are you sure your setting it up correctly?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Not sure why you can't get any freeview from Newhaven. My son lives in Peacehaven and has his ariel pointed to the Newhaven transmitter and receives the full freeview service quite ok. Are you sure your setting it up correctly?

THink you must mean pointing towards the Whitehawk transmitter. The Newhaven one won't switch over until next year.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
With a freeview box.

Freeeview boxes work after a fashion. The £20 Tesco ones are liable to be faulty (keep the receipt). But all of them have lost sound and sometimes can't tune in and I have a high gain aerial pointing the right way (but in a poor reception area).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here