Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone remember a trio of buskers in Brighton from the 80s.....

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Three fellas, one tall fella on electric guitar, one with a stand up bass and the other with a snare drum. They used to play rockabilly style stuff and were pretty good as I recall.

They were usually to be found around Churchill Square.

Was looking at the old Argos catalogue/games thread and these guys popped into my head for some reason(?!?!)

Just wondering if anyone knew them/who they were/what happened to them?

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
I believe you are referring to the Long Tall Texans. And excellent they were/are too.

I remember well them ripping it up outside the Arndale centre in Eastbourne circ. 1987. (That's the unlikeliest sentence I've ever typed)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I had that name in my head but didn't want to put it for fear of making myself look a twat! My memory is clearly better than I thought!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I'm sure one used to be a mate of mine from Crowborough I went to school with Jim Thomas at least he had a busking band that was exactly like that and did Churchill Square on Saturdays.
I will ask one of my mates if he can remember the name of the band !!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Ahhhh The Hot Diggety Dogs !!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Long Tall Texans. Used to go to school with Theo, the drummer who's a big Albion fan. He also came and drummed at a few of my old hardcore band's practices. Mark, the double-bassist worked as a security guard at Virgin when I was there (1985 - 1992), and the guitarist was a teacher I believe.

Mark Denman was the guitarist. His brother Graham had his own band, Digitalis. [MENTION=1334]fork me[/MENTION] knows him very well.

Mark Carew is now the bassist in The Hotknives.

The+Hotknives++Ska.jpg

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Who's singer is, I believe, Mick Clare who used to front my band, Nothing From Nowhere in the mid-80's. Our guitarist, and my good buddy, Steve, formed The Midnighters after the untimely(?) demise of NFN and used to tour around Europe with the Texans. He also got a slot on the Stray Cats UK tour shortly afterwards where he met Britt Ekland (sigh!),

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Who's singer is, I believe, Mick Clare who used to front my band, Nothing From Nowhere in the mid-80's. Our guitarist, and my good buddy, Steve, formed The Midnighters after the untimely(?) demise of NFN and used to tour around Europe with the Texans. He also got a slot on the Stray Cats UK tour shortly afterwards where he met Britt Ekland (sigh!),

That picture above is the current line-up. Don't know who the ginger bloke is but the other three are Clem (the only original member), Bosky and Mark.

Not sure that Mick Clare is in the band any more. Gary Marshall did gig with them for a few dates last year, but dropped out again. Marshall was the bloke who set up the Guitar, Amp & Keyboard which seems to take up most of North Road.

I used to DJ for them back in the days of the Old Vic in Ship Street.

Someone needs to put them on at Dick's Bar after a game...

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
That wouldn't be the worst idea!

A lad (Sean - dunno surname) used to stand at the back of the family stand with us at Withdean and knew NFN's drummer, Martin Wilson (who, I think, is still on the local 'scene' ) really well. Sean was massively into the Hotknives and they had a reunion gig out Horsham way last year which I think Mick took part in hence my thinking he was still with them. From that pic, Carew hasn't changed in 25 years!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The Levellers used to busk in the Steine area, and used to come to our dances and parties....they asked us to do the music for a festival in Stanmer Park... we had no idea, seriously no idea, they had become famous and couldnt believe the size of the crowd that was there that day for who we knew as a bunch of buskers..

Nov 20, 2003
hove
violinist Jonny sevink uesd to be in my year at stringer would never put him down as a king of the crustys , nice middle class family and all that

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
The Levellers used to busk in the Steine area, and used to come to our dances and parties....they asked us to do the music for a festival in Stanmer Park... we had no idea, seriously no idea, they had become famous and couldnt believe the size of the crowd that was there that day for who we knew as a bunch of buskers..

Remember seeing three of them in Kensington Gardens and they were big then Brilliant!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

They're still going strong now.. I share the occasional chat with Mark Chadwick (lead singer) when he's having a pint in town...They still seem to be touring most of the time... Nice guy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here