Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone quit smoking recently I need some tips?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Maharajah of Sydney said:

The one time I really miss em' is with the first 2 beers . But , for
some weird reason , come my 3rd one and it's no longer an
issue .

I was totally the opposite in that after three pints the fag craving kicked in and I only ever smoked in pubs, never outside - it was a beer and fag association that was very hard to break and the only thing that will save me from future lapses is when they ban it in UK pubs.

Agree with you on the money thing, the whole thing about 'think how much money you'll save' is like saying to a heroin addict "Think of all the money you'd save if you didn't shoot up all the time", smokers just don't see it in terms of how much money they spend, and if you'd told a smoker from 1980 that people will be paying £5 a pack for the privilege in 2005 they'd look at you as though you were barking.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I find that you need to get out of the habit of buying the things first. Then you need to get out of the habit of poncing them off of your mates. Once that is achieved you smoke considerably less.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
king Wombat said:
if u get really really desperate ie totally plastered and desperate for a ciggy - have a cigar instead.

Sorry m8...again not really good advice. I've known loads of people, including myself, who have gone on to the cigars....only to find 3 months later that we're on 20 a day and forking out 10 times more than for roll ups.

If you're going to give up....give the lot up....don't cut down or go onto a weaker brand, just give up. Sometimes harsh words are the kick up the arse people need to jack it in.

But, as mentioned, if you're giving up, do it for yourself and you have to want to give up.

Very best of luck to those giving up

Digmut

Jul 14, 2003
Ashford Kent
i'm just over 2 weeks into quitting and so far so good. Personally I use the inhaler thingy that looks like a tampon.
However I've put half stone on almost over night!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I did recently look into herbal ciggies (not pot) so that I could have something to drag on with a pint, but apparently you still get the same tar etc. from smoking anything, not just tobacco, the only small plus side with these 'healthy' fags is the lack of nicotine.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Do it for your dad!

Its all about having the right attitude to kick it.

I use to do something (what probably seems stupid), I'd give up on new years eve and not smoke for a month, after each year I'd beat the previous years record. I finally gave up.

You will do it !

djnastym

Jan 28, 2005
bristol
allan carrs 'easy way to give up smoking' available at all good bookshops- did it fo me!

kind of.

Start with a personal resolve that you are stronger than the urge. Call yourself a non-smoker. Stop completely - no "cutting down" not even to one or two a day, and no 'finishing the packet first'. Chuck away half a pack, tear up a few cigs, and never look at them as part of your life (as they will actually be part of your death).

Start realising that the 'joys of smoking' are a fallacy, a lie. The thicker air going down your throat is not something to savour like food or drink, it has no sustenance or benefit.

The World will not suddenly change overnight, but once you look back and realise, that you once smoked - you will appreciate how much it actually did change for you.

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
kalinski said:
i read alan carr's how to give up smoking...works for men but not so well for women (prob the use of logic.....ONLY JOKING :jester: )

That's an interesting point though, because I read Alan Carr's book & found it really patronising at times & in parts, obviously aimed at a male reader. eg. the number of golfing euphamisms he uses (I don't play golf!)

I gave up for a couple of days, but started again on the day of an abseil (ironically for Cancer Research). I was shaking so much pre-abseil that a "calming" cigarette did the trick. Was straight back on the rocky road. Will be trying again soon though.....

Well done to all who've quit & best of luck to the rest of us ...

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Having tried to cut down etc etc, you have to set yourself a date on which to give up(This will only work if you WANT to give up.)

I was smoking 20 a day and in October flew to New York. I put half a pack in the bin and have not touched one since.

Whilst it has not been easy, if you really want to give up you will.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
jevs said:
I gave up a 40 a day habbit a year ago. Go to the quacks and get help. He'll give you patches and any "quitline" numbers to ring....ring them if you feel you need some support.
Tell your mates and tell them you'll need their help, if they're nice geezas, you'll get loads of help from them.

That's what I did last year. I got patches and gum from my GP on prescription. Peversely I found the first few days really easy, but then it got harder. Unfortunately with the endless round of office christmas parties and drinking, I started again.

The main thing is you really really want to have to quit. If you just think "oh, I guess I'd better give up", you won't succeed.

Set yourself a "giving up" date so you can work towards it, then give up totally on that date. I am giving up again from Monday, as is Mrs Pasty. I'm looking forward to spending the £3500 a year we spend on fags, on something more worthwhile.

PS - Tedebear, I think your method may be a little extreme for us:lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
pasty said:

PS - Tedebear, I think your method may be a little extreme for us:lolol:

He he :lol:

Strangely enough - I was happy to cause my own health detriment but when it comes to the life of our child - I just can't do it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here