Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone own a motor home?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For those that have them - I don't but will in the future when time is less of an issue - would you consider left hand Drive an advantage?

Answering my own question I guess it's where you are going to spend the most time - personally I think I probably would go for LHD

I have a LHD classic car, which is particularly nice to drive on the Continent . . . . . when we went to LeMans/Spa etc in our old bus I didn't really have an issue with it being RHD . . . . The Iveco is a proper commercial vehicle underneath so had decent big mirrors and reversing camera . . . . which with a trailer/car on the back, is useful, the whole train was 6 tonnes and over 40 feet long. reverse parking was always fun

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For those that have them - I don't but will in the future when time is less of an issue - would you consider left hand Drive an advantage?

Answering my own question I guess it's where you are going to spend the most time - personally I think I probably would go for LHD

Doesn't matter too much. You get used to either.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
In a similar vein [buy a mobile home], I've had thoughts of buying a narrow boat for some early retirement leisure on the inland waterways.
I know Sussex is a bit short on canals [but plenty in my neck of the woods] so has anyone else looked into this or even bought one [inc time share].
Would be interested to hear experiences ....

Down here in London, it's all got a bit popular to buy these (esp with our house prices) and a friend of mine buys new, fits out and sell's on.

Currently got a 12ft Widey that will go for approx £125k (no berth)

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
When we lived in Aberdeenshire we owned a Citreon Berlingo, fantastic little motorhome. Myself the wife & the jack Russel travelled all around the coast of Scotland, from Kilmartin right round the coast back to Gardenstown in Banff where we were living. Fantastic times. So much freedom to travel wherever you want.

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
I’ve had a few over the years. My first was a T25 VW Van that was self converted by someone (similar to a Westfalia build). Lovely looking but a rust bucket and so slooow. I had to keep giving the hand signs to the articulated lorries when they could overtake me. Kept it for 4 years and sold it for more money than I paid (which I was gob smacked by).

Decided with a growing family we wanted something bigger and bought a 5 berth LHD van (Old Hymer) which had everything...Problem was it was slightly too big so didn’t get used as much (especially as in the VW we used to use the van for days out & as a mobile beach hut by Goring Gap) and after crunching the numbers we worked out it would have been cheaper to go on a couple of foreign holidays each year.

However we really missed the van for the smaller breaks (which we didn’t do in the Hymer) and decided to buy a newer (2010) VW California. Although it was horrendously expensive to buy they also keep they value. We use the van as our second car as well and absolutely love it. Just yesterday we just went for a drive into the countryside, went for a nice walk and enjoyed lunch by the van with the awning and chairs out. Downside is no shower and space of course.

Just like the dogs thread - each to their own but for us it was about using it for more than just holidays. That may change once/if I ever get to retirement though as one one my bucket lists is to travel around Europe (over many months) in a motor home which may mean a different type of setup. Keep us updated with your thoughts!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Down here in London, it's all got a bit popular to buy these (esp with our house prices) and a friend of mine buys new, fits out and sell's on.

Currently got a 12ft Widey that will go for approx £125k (no berth)

A band mate bought one as a mid week accomodation a few years back less thasn 6 figures with a mooring, (about £6k a year I think) . . . not cheap, but a fraction of the price of a shoe box flat. and a great location

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
In a similar vein [buy a mobile home], I've had thoughts of buying a narrow boat for some early retirement leisure on the inland waterways.
I know Sussex is a bit short on canals [but plenty in my neck of the woods] so has anyone else looked into this or even bought one [inc time share].
Would be interested to hear experiences ....

We have hired several canal boats but eventually bought a river cruiser on the Thames. I love that river, the lock keepers and villages, also it is less of a journey from Sussex. Canals are great fun though and good recreation for grand kids if that is appropriate. Just being on slow water is the most tranquil thing. If you haven’t done so, hire a boat first, make sure operating the locks etc, isn’t too demanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here