Anyone on here use Sky for broadband?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
Mine is constantly disconecting. The light on the router will just disappear, then come back orange, before eventually going back to green. I've googled it and followed some of the suggestions on the forums but to no avail.

Anyone else on here had problems?

pezza

Oct 26, 2010
seaford
I have I will be online then suddenly my broadband turns off so I have tu unplug it then fire it up again does my head in happens all the time

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Not had problems like that, just a general drop in speed over the past few weeks. I was getting 5MB consistently but it's down to around 3MB most of the time now. Not a major problem but causes a few issues when there is XBox stuff going on at the same time I'm trying to watch Sky on my PC and there's an Anytime+ download going on.

I'm waiting for Sky to come back to me with a better explanation than "We cannot increase your speed"

BT are BOMBARDING me with mail about Infinity at the moment but I'm not about to pay the £28pm or whatever it is for their unlimited package.

Sky will go fibre optic eventually but they had better get a shift on.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Do you have one of the old netgear white ones? I had the same problem, phoned up and got a nice new black one and it sorted.

The 'nice new ones' are just shitty old Sagem boxes with only wireless g, although they are better than the even shittier old Netgear boxes.

You would be better off buying a decent router and 'obtaining' your Sky settings from the internet.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And I thought it was just that my laptop is getting a bit old and shitty,,,,,nice to know others have this problem with sky broadband. Well not nice, but you get my drift..

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Nothing but problems here in BN3. Dreadful service. How they've (supposedly) won awards is beyond me. I've found the service slow and unreliable regardless of what I do with the router. Only had the damn thing 18 months too.I'm paying for unlimited up to 20meg. 20 Meg my arse - I'm only getting approx 800k :(

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The 'nice new ones' are just shitty old Sagem boxes with only wireless g, although they are better than the even shittier old Netgear boxes.

You would be better off buying a decent router and 'obtaining' your Sky settings from the internet.

Says with wireless N capabilities on the side of mine?

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
Do you have one of the old netgear white ones? I had the same problem, phoned up and got a nice new black one and it sorted.

No, it's a new one, only had it about 2 months. All the forums on the net say if you ring sky, they'll say there isn't a problem, and it must be caused by something my end....but clearly it is a problem for loads of people.

dave hylands

Feb 13, 2009
Eastbourne
bn23 very shit .8 meg even though they say i ccould have up to 2meg

have had them to turn it up 3 times this year as its gone that low i find it hard to log on.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Nothing but problems here in BN3. Dreadful service. How they've (supposedly) won awards is beyond me. I've found the service slow and unreliable regardless of what I do with the router. Only had the damn thing 18 months too.I'm paying for unlimited up to 20meg. 20 Meg my arse - I'm only getting approx 800k :(

It can only go as fast as your PC will allow, so that could be your issue.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
We've got BT Infinity, which goes like the clappers; but it will disconnect for a couple of minutes every once in a while while it re-adjusts its whatsits.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I did wonder if it was my laptop, but given that the service is rubbish regardless of whos computer is being used, I ruled that out. It's definately a sky issue!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

As you mentioned 'router' I guess you're using an ethernet cable - if you're using a USB connection that's only good for a max of 4 meg. (So I've been told - could be bollox)

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
As you mentioned 'router' I guess you're using an ethernet cable - if you're using a USB connection that's only good for a max of 4 meg. (So I've been told - could be bollox)

Is correct, if your ISP offers 20meg but your system only offers say 5meg, then you can only receive 5meg out of the possible 20.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I'm not too clued up on this interweb thingy, so forgive my stupidity.
I don't use an ethernet cable, I'm wireless. Does this make a difference? I'm using the standard Sagem router that sky provide in conjunction with my Fujitsu laptop.
I've done one of those broadband speed tests and it says my line offers up to 16 meg, yet i'm only getting 800k.
i'm confused??????

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I've had sky for a few years now and it's been fine. But earlier in the year it did go through a stage of dropping off randomly. After asking a techie at work, he showed me how to change the wireless channel on the router and now it's fine. Seems by default it was set to 'auto channel' but something was interfering with it. Tried a few different channels until got one that worked ok.

I think this is probably a standard fix for wireless problems and if you google it you'll easily find ip address needed and username/password.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports