Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know anything about employment law?

I have a 12 week notice period, which I think for someone in my position - I'm not in any way a key employee - is excessive. What is the legal position on notice periods. I have heard that under EU law notice periods of longer than your pay period are not enforcable, is this true?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had a 12 week notice period at my last company, I just told them I'm leaving in 6 weeks and there wasn't too much they could do about it. Think about it from their point of view, would they rather pay someone who really doesn't give a shit for 3 months? or let them leave after a month and save a bit of money?

On the flip side, if you get made redundant at least you get 3 months to look for a new job.

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
I believe if your period of employment has been for severel years they are correct. Went through new contract signing last summer and it cropped up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Strictly speaking they could sue you for any losses they incur due to you not working your notice but most companies aren't going to be too bothered unless you're very senior. After all what could they possibly have lost ? In fact they gain from not paying you. They might reflect it in your reference so I would mention it to your new employer just in case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here