Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can't just dump it down the tip, legally

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Serious replies only. We have had a survey on a flat done and there is what the surveyor thinks is an asbestos board partition wall. we would want it removed and i was wondering about the cost of things?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Ok, what is the question?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
caz99 said:
Serious replies only. We have had a survey on a flat done and there is what the surveyor thinks is an asbestos board partition wall. we would want it removed and i was wondering about the cost of things?

I had a quote recently to remove a ceiling in a 15x8 ft garage that was an asbestos composite.
The quote was £750 to take down, bag and dispose.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You'd need to get a licensed asbestos remover in. It's not dangerous unless you ate the fibres in it, then you'd have to eat an awful lot. Blue asbestos (the dusty one) is the one that gives asbestos a bad name but thats usually used for lagging or insulation. Unfortunately theres not that many liscensed removers around so they do tend to be expensive, but the tips don't help by overcharging for dumping there when it all goes in the same pile as the other rubbish, only they dig a hole for it.

If its just an average sized partition wall probably about £1500 to £2000 would get the job done.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Timbo said:
You'd need to get a licensed asbestos remover in. It's not dangerous unless you ate the fibres in it, then you'd have to eat an awful lot. Blue asbestos (the dusty one) is the one that gives asbestos a bad name but thats usually used for lagging or insulation. Unfortunately theres not that many liscensed removers around so they do tend to be expensive, but the tips don't help by overcharging for dumping there when it all goes in the same pile as the other rubbish, only they dig a hole for it.

If its just an average sized partition wall probably about £1500 to £2000 would get the job done.

Timbo, Sorry mate but your very wrong on the effects of Asbestos.

You dont get affected too much by digesting (eating) it.

The affect is by aspiration, ie breathing the dust.

Asbestos particles are javelin shaped and therefore penetrate much deeper into the respiratory tract tham normal particles.
Once there ,they do not dissolve or rot and eventually may set up a carconogenic focal point.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
well its not a very big wall i suppose the trouble is it would have to be taken down in one lump and cannot be broken up?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
If it's a partition wall and you want a new partition wall in its place, I'd estimate about £750 - had one done about 6 years ago.

Talk to the local council - they may be able to help.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
caz99 said:
well its not a very big wall i suppose the trouble is it would have to be taken down in one lump and cannot be broken up?

The experts have techniques. Often they will damp down to remove the dust, with polythene sheets, masks, powerful vacuum cleaners etc.
Consulting the local Council is a good suggestion.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
well we wouldnt want it replaced just taken down. do the council do jobs like that?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
caz99 said:
well we wouldnt want it replaced just taken down. do the council do jobs like that?

If not they have a list of recommended contractors

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The council won't do it, but any company who did do it would have to be registered, so they could help you find someone.

The cost of disposal has rocketed in recent years, so the £2k estimate above is probably nearer the mark than the £750 one. It all depends on the amount of material, if it can be removed without breaking it up too much and the location of the nearest tip.

http://www.recycle.mcmail.com/asbestos.htm gives some useful information

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
As an aside, Asbestos is precisely the reason the Beeding cement works is still exactly where it is.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Timbo said:
As an aside, Asbestos is precisely the reason the Beeding cement works is still exactly where it is.

Where would it have moved to if it hadn't have been for asbestos? :jester:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It would've rolled down the hill, if they'd built it on a big skateboard.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
caz99 said:

Caz are you buying the flat? presumably you can have the cost knocked off the asking price when coming to final negotiations?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports