Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone in the Reserve Forces?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I'm a regular (RAF), 11 years done to date. If it's a lifelong ambition then go for it but I can guarantee it will fall short of your expectations in some capacity. Personally speaking I regularly fantasise about that day in 9 years time when I'm pensionable and can down tools. Fed up of wishing my life away mind

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
There are a few personal reasons why I would be unable to commit full time at present but if I really enjoy it/am good at it and it is feasible in the future I’m sure becoming a regular would be on the cards.

My reason are certainly not financial – in fact I didn’t even look into that part of the roles at all – and I can’t speak for all reserves but I don't commit to anything without giving it 100%.

If you are established in civvy street (good money etc) then do think long and hard about becoming a regular. It is a completely different kettle of fish to being in the reserves and I say that without exaggeration.

What I will say is make sure you fully research your chosen trade before proceeding. I didn't and am subsequently in one of the most deployed trades in the Air Force. Currently receiving an overseas tour of 4-6 month every 12 months.

I'm 30 now and these tours away from home have long since lost there appeal. As I said above with 11 years served and only 9 left until my pension I am sadly at the point of no return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here