Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] anyone in that Hemisphere reporting on what's going on in China/Taiwan...?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Pelosi visiting Taiwan has provoked some pretty aggressive words and "war games" from China ,reports of Chinese jets buzzing the island and missiles being fired rather too close for comfort and numerous war vessels mobilised ......hope this isn't another Russia/Ukraine scenario , it will not end well....ffs just before the season kicks off as well....how's this guy doing dy'a reckon..??
75662d693b44ee73.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
People seem to be remarkably cool about what’s going on over there. But if it really does kick off, it will make Ukraine seem like a vicars tea party.

50 percent of worlds semi conductors, 80 percent of worlds advanced semi conductors

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am inclined to be concerned. China are itching for war and a few months ago Australian troops were told to be ready for war.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's one of those i'm putting my fingers in my ears and going lalalalalalalala about.

But if I had to arise from my denial that it might happen I suppose my thoughts are that we've surely had to learn this year that constant bending down to fiery rhetoric from expansionist autocrats only really puts the problem off to a later date. I don't think we or the US should be sending troops, but similar to Ukraine if they invade and the people show they want to fight and they want us to help, then we should take similar economic measures and export whatever military equipment they need. I don't underestimate how tough this will be. But I don't see we have a choice.

In the meantime we should be putting in place to reduce our exposure to essential Chinese exports as much as we possibly can

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's one of those i'm putting my fingers in my ears and going lalalalalalalala about.

But if I had to arise from my denial that it might happen I suppose my thoughts are that we've surely had to learn this year that constant bending down to fiery rhetoric from expansionist autocrats only really puts the problem off to a later date. I don't think we or the US should be sending troops, but similar to Ukraine if they invade and the people show they want to fight and they want us to help, then we should take similar economic measures and export whatever military equipment they need. I don't underestimate how tough this will be. But I don't see we have a choice.

In the meantime we should be putting in place to reduce our exposure to essential Chinese exports as much as we possibly can[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done - as I understand it, a massive percentage of UK manufacturing takes place in China because it is/was as cheap as chips. Its a bit like the Germans and their Russian gas!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In my experience, the vast majority of folk here never mention or worry about the evils of China or Russia. No interest at all.

Sadly, I think hedonism/consumerism/self-interest rules.

Also from a; "It is what it is"/"Only worry about the things you can control" ... taken to an extreme. Preserving mental health.

The Ukraine interest here fell away.

I wonder what ordinary Brits felt in the late thirties as a genocidal war machine took over The Sudetenland, Poland?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In my experience, the vast majority of folk here never mention or worry about the evils of China or Russia. No interest at all.

Sadly, I think hedonism/consumerism/self-interest rules.

Also from a; "It is what it is"/"Only worry about the things you can control" ... taken to an extreme. Preserving mental health.

The Ukraine interest here fell away.

I wonder what ordinary Brits felt in the late thirties as a genocidal war machine took over The Sudetenland, Poland?

The way I see it, we (ie ordinary people) employ politicians to formulate effective foreign policy and have a diplomatic service to smooth the wheels, so us plebs can watch football, go shopping and preserve aforesaid mental health.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Terrifying and it seems America has learnt nothing since Korea and Vietnam. Poking China was very ill considered

If America is going to follow through their rhetoric and get involved if Taiwan is invaded we can all kiss our arses goodbye

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Who would have thought that paying China zillions to produce all our cheap tat would empower their economy, fund their armed forces and embolden their nationalistic and empire building desires? Sleepwalking to disaster.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

In the meantime we should be putting in place to reduce our exposure to essential Chinese exports as much as we possibly can[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done - as I understand it, a massive percentage of UK manufacturing takes place in China because it is/was as cheap as chips. Its a bit like the Germans and their Russian gas!

You're exactly right. Undoing trade norms of the last 40 years would be a herculean effort and would presumably mean severe shortages of pretty much everything for possibly a decade.

It is possible though. So for example, a country can't just magic up gas or oil, they either have it or they don't, which is what is making breaking trade relations with Russia so painful. With China though there's nothing inherent in their exports which couldn't be replicated by any other nation. It would just be an extremely slow process.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
China has us by the balls. We’ve spent years increasing our reliance on them for cheap, mass-produced goods.

Shutting Russia out was a piece of piss by comparison.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Taiwan is very different from Ukraine due to the large sea in between, makes any invasion far more difficult. Taiwan also has a much better equiped, prepared army, and support of a very large capable US navy fleet.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Who would have thought that paying China zillions to produce all our cheap tat would empower their economy, fund their armed forces and embolden their nationalistic and empire building desires? Sleepwalking to disaster.

Precisely. Diversifying our supply of key essentials is one of the dull but essential functions of government admin which clearly hasn't happened over the last 40 years. A certain amount of human skills and industrial capacity need to be kept in house. Again, it hasn't happened. The lack of resilience in our economy is being exposed again and again.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Terrifying and it seems America has learnt nothing since Korea and Vietnam. Poking China was very ill considered

If America is going to follow through their rhetoric and get involved if Taiwan is invaded we can all kiss our arses goodbye

Heard Rory Stewart (a sensible guy) talking about Nancy P's planned trip to Taiwan last week. He suggested she back out gently and send someone junior to tone things down. But she went ahead against Biden's advice.

Now we have China saving face. Hope its short lived and a couple of grown ups calm things down.

If Taiwan goes up in smoke, prepare for a decade of recession

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Taiwan is very different from Ukraine due to the large sea in between, makes any invasion far more difficult. Taiwan also has a much better equiped, prepared army.

It's also much harder for us to supply them materials and help those fleeing the conflict.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

In the meantime we should be putting in place to reduce our exposure to essential Chinese exports as much as we possibly can

I have tried to instil in my grandchildren that China produces a lot of toot.
We really need a revolutionary in this country whereby we start producing stuff for ourselves and not rely on other countries. It will generate decent jobs and get out of this rut where the U.K. is just seen as a service provider.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Precisely. Diversifying our supply of key essentials is one of the dull but essential functions of government admin which clearly hasn't happened over the last 40 years. A certain amount of human skills and industrial capacity need to be kept in house. Again, it hasn't happened. The lack of resilience in our economy is being exposed again and again.

Successive governments have chosen to sell off and outsource our industry. Then we leave a well operated, huge trading bloc to go it alone. We sell swathes of prime real estate to China, Saudi and the Russians. We are in bed with governments that are constantly champing at the bit for war. No wonder we are weak and vulnerable.

If China kicks off, the U.K. will be on its knees. We’re half way there already.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I am inclined to be concerned. China are itching for war and a few months ago Australian troops were told to be ready for war.

That rhetoric has been nipped in the bud by the new government , our armed forces don't even register as a % of China's , i wouldn't be surprised if the AUKUS deal is scrubbed soon either , Taiwan is basically to Chinas what Ukraine was to Russia although it's an Island it is basically Chinese territory which has become westernised , they've got Hong Kong back , Taiwan could be next on the list.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Heard Rory Stewart (a sensible guy) talking about Nancy P's planned trip to Taiwan last week. He suggested she back out gently and send someone junior to tone things down. But she went ahead against Biden's advice.

Now we have China saving face. Hope its short lived and a couple of grown ups calm things down.

If Taiwan goes up in smoke, prepare for a decade of recession

Pelosi's husband is being put forward as a possible benefactor to a huge insider trading / profit taking rort on the Dow Jones ......she's probably gone over there to create a diversion, such is the cynicism of these types , they really are out of control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here