Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
This is what me and my wife where frightened about. We do have one online shop coming today which we ordered two weeks ago. It is being split with my mum and brother. My mother is 84 years old and not in the best of conditions, but you wouldn't know to look at her, and my brother who has anxiety issues, learning difficulties and is also on medication.

It's not a good situation some people face at the moment, and the way it is going there is a good possibility people might go starving in this country. If people can just buy what they need and think about others.

We are all OK for the next 2 to 3 weeks, because we are going through the freezer. We have stuff in there we purchased months back. After that things will get serious.

Never known anything like it.

How was you delivery? Did get most of what you all need?

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Tesco at 2pm today. Car park largely empty, shelves totally empty. They really haven't got a grip of it yet

I spoke with the duty manager and asked why they didn't stagger putting stock on the shelves rather than just lumping it all on first thing and watching it all disappear before 2pm..shrugged and looked confused....its been happening the same for the last three weeks. I know its a Sunday but there are workers finishing later in the day midweek who get naff all as its been ransacked by retired folk earlier in the day.

Appreciate they're doing a brilliant job but a few key decisions at ground level might help to tackle public fookwittery.....rationing might be working but on todays evidence it clearly isn't.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This hoarding disgusts me. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mentioned, especially Paracetamol and Ibroprofun which could mean the diff between life and death. As each day passes my faith in humanoty dwindles. I honestly wish we could seperate the population. Luckily most on NSC seem to be decent people...

On another note [MENTION=21223]Saltydog[/MENTION] [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] [MENTION=11771]Si Gull[/MENTION] hearing your struggles getting food is upsetting. We have been using an online food site called

Hello Fresh: 'https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/?locale=en-GB&redirectedFromAccountArea=true'

they deliver fresh produce to your door. Order up to 5 meals every week (or every 2 weeks) from their selection of about 10-15 dishes. They are still delivering so maybe worth signing up and using it for the length of isolation or longer if you like... Just an idea :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This hoarding disgusts me. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mentioned, especially Paracetamol and Ibroprofun which could mean the diff between life and death. As each day passes my faith in humanoty dwindles. I honestly wish we could seperate the population. Luckily most on NSC seem to be decent people...

On another note [MENTION=21223]Saltydog[/MENTION] [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] [MENTION=11771]Si Gull[/MENTION] hearing your struggles getting food is upsetting. We have been using an online food site called

Hello Fresh: 'https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/?locale=en-GB&redirectedFromAccountArea=true'

they deliver fresh produce to your door. Order up to 5 meals every week (or every 2 weeks) from their selection of about 10-15 dishes. They are still delivering so maybe worth signing up and using it for the length of isolation or longer if you like... Just an idea :thumbsup:

I love your care for everyone and do not mean to take away from it but Ibuprofen is rumoured to make Covid-19 MUCH worse. People need to make their own minds up and check out their own sources but there are multiple reports of it being dangerous.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I love your care for everyone and do not mean to take away from it but Ibuprofen is rumoured to make Covid-19 MUCH worse. People need to make their own minds up and check out their own sources but there are multiple reports of it being dangerous.

This is where confusion is caused as the WHO have withdrawn any warnings about the use of Ibuprofen

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
To be fair, people would find that confusing and it would make them panic further. If shelves were empty by 10am, then people would really worry, even if there is a strategic reason for it.

With shelves becoming emptier as the day goes on, people can rationalise that.

I guess you could rationalise being a worker who couldn't get to a shop before 4 or 5 pm on a daily basis and wondering why the locusts / oldies / retired had stripped the shelves dry.

No harm in saving some bog roll, pasta, rice, bread and milk for later in the day.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

yo, of course you're right. I have read this too... not sure why i put ibuprofen :)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

What's infuriating is that most people are decent folk. But in times like these it only takes a very small % of people to act like ********s for shit to really hit the fan and full lockdown to need to be enforced - which has had to happen elsewhere and should have happened here by now. This weekend has surely shown Boris and chums that it needs to happen now; no more putting faith in the fact that most people are doing the right thing and pleading with the rest to do so. Most people doing the right thing, or trying to, whilst the other fvckwits don't listen, isn't enough.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
also u have scumbags bulk buying and then listing with inflated prices on ebay - suppose we could screw them if we all bought their items and then all returned them as not as described - return postage costs should wipe out any profit?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
just went out for supplies (briefly) and a (possibly last for now ) walk round the park. There was a helicopter filming over Preston Park.

sorry [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] posted this on the wrong thread

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s-france-spain-supermarkets-a9418446.html?amp

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the problem here is the just in time stock system pursued by the supermarkets in order to cut costs and inflate profits. Of course people are going to stock up in times of uncertainty and as the article says, in many cases it is just to a level common when a lot of us were growing up. Rather than blame consumers, perhaps a lot of you should be questioning the supermarkets.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s-france-spain-supermarkets-a9418446.html?amp

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the problem here is the just in time stock system pursued by the supermarkets in order to cut costs and inflate profits. Of course people are going to stock up in times of uncertainty and as the article says, in many cases it is just to a level common when a lot of us were growing up. Rather than blame consumers, perhaps a lot of you should be questioning the supermarkets.

The route cause of the shortages was stupid, selfish people panicking and buying way, way more than they required. Had they simply bought what they regularly bought - as they were emplored to - then the supply chains would have coped fine and there would have been enough to go round for everybody.

Always easy to spot stupid people losing their heads in a crisis.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

supermarkets are not responsible for overbuying, and we dont want to pay extra cost and spoilage of oversupply. i heard the professors on TV announce there was no food stored in the UK, a surprise to the warehousing industry stores it. im sure he meant to say some, but that doesnt make for as much impact.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The route cause of the shortages was stupid, selfish people panicking and buying way, way more than they required. Had they simply bought what they regularly bought - as they were emplored to - then the supply chains would have coped fine and there would have been enough to go round for everybody.

There was and is a crisis. People face being isolated for months. Consumers were always going to move away from just in time buying as that is the ratonal reaction to crisis. In the past this would not have mattered because supermarkets would have held enough stock. Their greed has left the system unable to cope with the new reality.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
supermarkets are not responsible for overbuying, and we dont want to pay extra cost and spoilage of oversupply. i heard the professors on TV announce there was no food stored in the UK, a surprise to the warehousing industry stores it. im sure he meant to say some, but that doesnt make for as much impact.

I am quite happy for supermarkets to pay the extra cost of warehousing. Their policy of recent decades has been to operate without the insurance policy of holding stock. Lots of consequence to this eg using their buying power to undermine business for local shops. It is interesting that small shops are relatively much better stocked and we can buy everything we need at our village shop or on delivery from farm shops.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
I am quite happy for supermarkets to pay the extra cost of warehousing. Their policy of recent decades has been to operate without the insurance policy of holding stock. Lots of consequence to this eg using their buying power to undermine business for local shops. It is interesting that small shops are relatively much better stocked and we can buy everything we need at our village shop or on delivery from farm shops.

Why can’t you just admit that your behaviour was a) wrong and unnecessary and b) selfish.

Stopping blaming everyone else. You didn’t have to follow the crowd (or indeed lead it). I am sure you would be the first to complain if supermarkets increased prices due to holding increased unnecessary stock “just in case” (yes there are costs attached to storage). I would hope you would also complain if food were unnecessarily wasted due to overstocking.

Just accept you were part of the problem and move on.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Why can’t you just admit that your behaviour was a) wrong and unnecessary and b) selfish.

Stopping blaming everyone else. You didn’t have to follow the crowd (or indeed lead it). I am sure you would be the first to complain if supermarkets increased prices due to holding increased unnecessary stock “just in case” (yes there are costs attached to storage). I would hope you would also complain if food were unnecessarily wasted due to overstocking.

Just accept you were part of the problem and move on.

To clarify my comment, you say now that you would be happy to pay the additional costs associated with storing excess food but one can’t but think that’s a convenient response to justify your inexcusable actions.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Don't you just believe it and no sign of it stopping anytime soon.

We fly back today and I've been up all times of day/night for past 8 days trying everywhere to get home delivery/click and collect but not a bit. Farm shop has closed down too due to complete overload. We've got no food in our freezer, in fact nothing. We're supposed to quarantine so I believe

I can't even begin to understand this totally selfish behaviour. Here in Spain the shops are fully stocked and everyone is behaving in an entirely responsible way. From here it appears I am returning to a 3rd world society

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here