Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone going to The Emirates then?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well Arsenal are only up in London. They're the best premiership team within easy reach of Brighton and they play nice football. There's no rivalry between us so if Brighton aren't playing and fans fancy seeing a top class match then I see no reason why you wouldn't choose to see Arsenal, were the option to do so available.

I'd like to visit the Emirates certainly.

It's not really double standards, there's no reason the average Albion fan would want to go and watch a Manchester United game either home or away.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I love the fact it is acceptable to go and watch Arsenal but not United. Jesus, double standards or what.
Its not the fact you go to see them its the fact you make sure you mention the fact they are champions and refer to them as 'United', Closet act?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I love the fact it is acceptable to go and watch Arsenal but not United. Jesus, double standards or what.

You know perfectly well why people have taken against your comment and not the original post. Nothing to do with the team, simply to do with the way you present it, and stop pretending there's some double standard conspiracy going on. If you capitalise CHAMPIONS and call their manager by his first name in a matey way would you not say that gives off an impression?

Jimmy Grimble

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
a) I live in Manchester.

b) United are my preferred "big team" of the options. I don't support them, and I didn't really give a shit they didn't win today despite being surrounded by 4,000 mental northerners, but I'd rather go and watch them than Arsenal. I don't see how you can state that ALL albion fans would see no reason NOT to watch Arsenal but no reason to watch United whatsoever.

Well I didn't say ALL Albion fans would choose Arsenal, I just said there's more sense in the AVERAGE Albion fan going to see Arsenal play because they are a more local team to us than Manchester United.

I also didn't criticise you for going to see Manchester United, I know you live in Manchester, you've mentioned it often enough before and it says so under your avatar. If you want to go and watch them play then why shouldn't you?

I just pointed out it is far more likely that the majority of Brighton fans, given the choice, would pick a day out up in London rather than trekking halfway across the country to see Manchester United.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Don't disagree with that. However, what I asked was why was there a cosy little chat about going to see Arsenal (Prem top 4, big ground, extortionate prices, overpaid players) and anger that someone might want to go and watch Man United (Prem top 4, big ground, extortionate prices, overpaid players)?

It's fair enough to go and see United, it's the way you come and tell everyone about it that got people's goat. As I said before, you know perfectly well why people were angry with you.

Also, is there any reason you prefer United other than the fact you live there?
Who would you support if Blackburn played United?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well you'd have to ask those who displayed this anger. I certainly didn't. I merely pointed out the most likely scenarios as I saw fit.

I don't have a second team but there are always going to be certain teams I prefer to other teams. Funnily enough I have a soft spot for Blackburn and would far rather they saw safety than the likes of Bolton, Pompey or Wigan.

Different strokes for different folks innit

Jimmy Grimble

I just didn't think anyone would have a 'preference' which extends as far as going to watch a club they have little or no connection to away from home against particularly unglamorous opposition. (how on earth did you get tickets for the away end?! Man United must get tens of thousands of applicants filtered through some sort of members system, surely?!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Went and saw Arsenal v West Sham last season, and the Emirates is indeed one hell of a spectacular structure. Damn sight more impressive than the game, which was a wristslashinglybad 0-0.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Went and saw Arsenal v West Sham last season, and the Emirates is indeed one hell of a spectacular structure. Damn sight more impressive than the game, which was a wristslashinglybad 0-0.

The structure is far more impressive than the funeral like atmosphere or shit Arsenal fans I would suggest. Not to mention zero character, overpriced everything and general shittery that is going to see a big 4 team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The structure is far more impressive than the funeral like atmosphere or shit Arsenal fans I would suggest. Not to mention zero character, overpriced everything and general shittery that is going to see a big 4 team.

Can't argue with that. The atmosphere was crap, and with the 'Ammers being there, I went in the mistaken belief there would be a half decent bit of banter. I was also amazed at the abuse raining down on Eboue from the start, and sat there AGOG when the home fans actually cheered when he was stretchered off injured.

Its a different game up there. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here