Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Go To Church?

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
NMH is entilled to his views on faith and the church as anyone else on this forum. These are arguments that I hear quite often. However, I do question his inference a priest is a paedophile because it was the only way for him to have sex. I don't deny that that there have been priests quilty of child abuse, but what is the evidence that this happens because of celibacy? Maybe NMH has information and experience in this matter that I don't. I'd just like to know what this evidence is.

I didn't know that I was the most evasive poster on this list. Is there any award for this honour?

By the way I'm going to the public enquiry today as long as NMH doesn't object. Anyone else going?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I was raised in a very religious family (Church of England as the Church of Australia doesn't exist) :lol:

I went to Sunday School and church until I was old enough to make my own decision as to whether I wanted to keep going. I don't go any more but I do remember alot of what I was taught and wether by coincidence or design I live my life probably in line with the commandments...

So no I'm not religious but I do know and understand why people are....and I appreciate people like Yorkie more who know their own faith and don't preach to others - that to me is the sign of someone with true faith....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Percy, most people on here never let an absence of facts get in the way of a (sometimes too verbose) opinion. You put your point succinctly and I for one have no clue whether it was answered as I can't be arsed to wade through the obfuscation.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
the church of England are hypocrits of the highest order-

Gamblings a sin but the church has been doing it for years investing in the stock market! they have recently lost millions!!

f*** em all!!!!

dont preach SHIT to me when they cant even abide by thier own rules!

and people believe this WANK!

beyond belief!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Mr Popkins - I think you have to differentiate between christianity and the organised churches. Christians try to act in a christ-like way. Whether the church organisations do that is open to opinion.

Percy Tantrums said:
NMH is entilled to his views on faith and the church as anyone else on this forum. These are arguments that I hear quite often. However, I do question his inference a priest is a paedophile because it was the only way for him to have sex. I don't deny that that there have been priests quilty of child abuse, but what is the evidence that this happens because of celibacy? Maybe NMH has information and experience in this matter that I don't. I'd just like to know what this evidence is.

I didn't know that I was the most evasive poster on this list. Is there any award for this honour?

By the way I'm going to the public enquiry today as long as NMH doesn't object. Anyone else going?

First of all you are obviously a total wanker simply for the last comment, you totally avoided any chance to teach anyone anything in this whole thread despite the rumour that you are 'qualified'. Quit being bitchy and put out respectable viewpoints and you MIGHT gain credibility instead of being a COP-OUT !

As for my evidence, I believe there was a holocaust because I listened to the news (which is 'teaching' me something in my life about reality in human history, and I learn that there will always be wankers keen to deny terrible crimes and atrocities against the innocent)

The priests that defile and commit paedophilia seemed to be REPRESSED by their religious vows, their denial of sex with a woman, and that probably exacerbated their urge to have sex with someone .... yet someone not a woman, and surrounded by boys with frocks - who are basically at the curious age that might be similar to the (lack of) sexual growth of these 'father figures'
(strike up the George Michael tune here).

Godamnit Percy Tantrums, this quivering lip and idiot bitchyness doesn't exactly suggest you are one priest who can raise the profile of the church, which would probably require a few men with a backbone .

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
Yes NMH my last comment was a little bitchy, so I'll apologise for that. I'll also ignore your abuse at me and put it down to strongly held views.

I suppose such dislogue is the beauty of North Stand Chat.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
NMH said:
First of all you are obviously a total wanker simply for the last comment, you totally avoided any chance to teach anyone anything in this whole thread despite the rumour that you are 'qualified'. Quit being bitchy and put out respectable viewpoints and you MIGHT gain credibility instead of being a COP-OUT !

As for my evidence, I believe there was a holocaust because I listened to the news (which is 'teaching' me something in my life about reality in human history, and I learn that there will always be wankers keen to deny terrible crimes and atrocities against the innocent)

The priests that defile and commit paedophilia seemed to be REPRESSED by their religious vows, their denial of sex with a woman, and that probably exacerbated their urge to have sex with someone .... yet someone not a woman, and surrounded by boys with frocks - who are basically at the curious age that might be similar to the (lack of) sexual growth of these 'father figures'
(strike up the George Michael tune here).

Godamnit Percy Tantrums, this quivering lip and idiot bitchyness doesn't exactly suggest you are one priest who can raise the profile of the church, which would probably require a few men with a backbone .

Got to take exception here. The incidences of peodophilia committed by priests are few and far between. It's absurd to tar all the clergy with the same brush. The vast majority of them are sincere in their beliefs and are not sex mad as you suggest. Frankly the vast majority of your comments border on hysteria. You're clearly an atheist which is an opinion you're entitled to but do you mean to tell me that there's never been an atheist child molester ? I think not. I don't have any time for organised religion it's true but it doesn't give me the right to imply that priests and their ilk are inheirent sexual deviants.

I am afraid you are taking the same path again, and either ignoring my previous defence in favour of the existence of a God (of reality, not for the etherial fantasies and unnatural requirements that so many place upon the Godliness that is at the root of all nature, human nature too) plus you place some statement at my feet about ALL priests being paedophiles which I did NOT say.

I ask for at least a little research into what I have stated (in modern English, which even as that seems to be open to all misinterpretation - so no wonder people are confused about ancient doctrines at the roots of Judaism Christianity Catholicism Hinduism etc etc that have been subject to several translations in time and languages) since I DO suggest that paedophilia proliferates and that some of the blame for that could be placed on the requirement and environment surrounding priests - along with the fact that they are attempting to cast away human sin and human fallibility in order to emulate in a LIFETIME, the microcosm (short period of her life) of Mary Mother Of Jesus' pre-gestation of the 'Son Of God'. She is purported to have been a young woman, with no sexual experience (not for any inordinate abstinance since she would have had years of normal non-sexually active pre-puberty one would think) who had a baby by divinity and then had others by sexual means.

It's a lot to ask of any man to abstain from sexual interaction, but I cannot really express admiration for those that do it either. If they stay away from the kiddies, that is a requirement, one that doesn't warrant any honours in itself. If they stay away from homo or hetero-sexual practices and repress themselves from any recognition of their procreational nature - no applause there either, but I won't actually credit anyone simply because they stay away from child-molesting ....... that's just a social and natural REQUIREMENT.
That it has proliferated due to errant priests is a fact that has been revealed and reviled, and perhaps represents _some_
of the priests that have done it. It hasn't been pointed out to me that accountanting or bricklaying trades have a propensity to kiddy-fiddle within their members - but I have reason to understand that it HAS happened within the church and I conjecture some of the probable cause for that lies with the doctrine.

Again, it doesn't mean I am saying ALL of them do it.

Now, you can barrack and respond with sarcasm, but I think I typed in clear enough English throughout for any misinterpretation of my words to be a fault in the reading.

It would be nice to talk about religion in a way that some learning may be obtained - but sadly, it's GENERALLY only meant to happen in a circumstance where you listen to doctrine and don't question it . This thread sees people questioning religion - but are they given any tangible answers ? If you said to me "just go to church and believe what the vicar tells you without question" I will not give the time for that school of thought .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It did turn into a religious argument

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
It always does

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
NMH said:
along with the fact that they are attempting to cast away human sin and human fallibility in order to emulate in a LIFETIME, the microcosm (short period of her life) of Mary Mother Of Jesus' pre-gestation of the 'Son Of God'. She is purported to have been a young woman, with no sexual experience (not for any inordinate abstinance since she would have had years of normal non-sexually active pre-puberty one would think) who had a baby by divinity and then had others by sexual means.

point blank stupidity!!

D

Drips

I’m in the fastest growing religion. Lapsed Catholic.

I think its great we live in a country where we can choose to believe or not, to attend services or not.
I used to go to church regularly as a child but like a few others on here I got a bit fed up with the hypocrisies of my fellow brethren, the bad press about sexual cover ups & to be honest the tedium of the actual service. I still believe in God but with all due respect, I don’t think all the mumbo jumbo in a church is the way to him.

I still think it’s way out of order for NMH to call Fr Percy a w:censored:r though.

Fr Percy has probably brought joy to many, be it on wedding days or christenings, helping the poor & homeless or just being a friend to someone who’s lonely, I dare say he’s brought council, comfort and understanding to the families of the bereaved, the sick & the anxious on a day to day basis.

He’s probably had to deal with stuff that would be all too much for most of us.
So please cut him some slack NMH!

Good luck to the church goers but I’m sorry, it aint for me.

Relax Guys…We’ll all be Muslim in 50 years time or so anyway :bowdown:

Or maybe not!
:unclesam:

Drips said:
I’m in the fastest growing religion. Lapsed Catholic.

I think its great we live in a country where we can choose to believe or not, to attend services or not.
I used to go to church regularly as a child but like a few others on here I got a bit fed up with the hypocrisies of my fellow brethren, the bad press about sexual cover ups & to be honest the tedium of the actual service. I still believe in God but with all due respect, I don’t think all the mumbo jumbo in a church is the way to him.

I still think it’s way out of order for NMH to call Fr Percy a w:censored:r though.

Fr Percy has probably brought joy to many, be it on wedding days or christenings, helping the poor & homeless or just being a friend to someone who’s lonely, I dare say he’s brought council, comfort and understanding to the families of the bereaved, the sick & the anxious on a day to day basis.

He’s probably had to deal with stuff that would be all too much for most of us.
So please cut him some slack NMH!

Good luck to the church goers but I’m sorry, it aint for me.

Relax Guys…We’ll all be Muslim in 50 years time or so anyway :bowdown:

Or maybe not!
:unclesam:

Sorry Drips, no slack and especially not for those who are supposed to be qualified . I agree that it's tiresome how the Church cover the crimes to protect the organisation and not the victims. Constant denial from within, in order to protect the church rather than protect the VICTIMS of these monster ministers, these priestly predators, has been very overworked . It's Cardinal Boloney .
Now, doesn't Catholicism require that their members CONFESS their sins, then REPENT ?
Why don't they lead by example, for Mary's sake!?!

Why, one could ask, is there an exposed incidence of molesting behind 'the cloth' as a trade? Accountants and bricklayers can go home to their wives and girlfriends, priests don't.

I thank Percy Tantrums for getting on board, although I don't want to set upon a nice chaste priest fellow, he unwittingly provided this tabled subject with yet another fine example of protective denial - and squirms at the opportunity to enter into this forum (on what should be his territory) any deeper than just to call me ill-informed.
I accept that it was easy for him to respond to my finger-pointing with cynicism - it's another misnomer to brush my opinion under the carpet as being one of an atheist - because I'm not.
Priest or not, he should be a big enough boy if he's qualified to teach religion and spirituality to the masses.

Don't be afraid of words and debate, religion and politics are fair game - and no-one should be afraid to broach the subjects and question .

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
One of the things I find amusing about the Catholic Church was what, happened when they regained power in the north of England during a failed rebellion in around 1570.

The first thing they did was get a big bonfire, and demand that all the locals burn their Bibles - at least all of those that were in English. They're constant opposition (until more recent times) to any Catholics reading the Bible is certainly a highlight of renaissance thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here