Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else prepared to forfeit the Palace game?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think we all expect some erm squad rotation...having said that the ways things are we will probably see that before the Cup game...but to send out a seriously weakened side..pah no way!

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
If we don’t put a team out to win this first FA Cup match against our rivals in years then I will be gutted.
Flip me! Our first team are playing way less league games than last year, get on with it! And win!!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't understand the negative attitude of the OP.

If you start guaranteeing prem survival by sacrificing a game like this then what's the point in going to watch football.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
When we rest players for the cup we generally lose the following league game too

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One of two competitions we stand a chance of doing well in, playing a tie against palace. Go for it I say, full strength team and have a crack.

I hate that teams in our position don't bother with the cups. The top 6 (4? 2? 1?) have the league sewn up but the rest of us should be fighting to get into the later reaches of the cup competitions. Just because the top clubs don't value it doesn't me we shouldn't.

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect that it will be an overpriced reserve match and another 0-0 draw. Exactly what no one wants. The bragging rights would have been huge just a season ago but. Although fans will want a win, no one will be that upset by a loss.

My guess is that there will be a maximum of 5 players who are involved in the league games either side.

The first realistic post on this thread. Like it or not, for both team, staying in the league is a priority and the cup is not important. If we had been drawn against anyone else, people would have been saying to rotate the squad. No matter what us fans think of the rivalry, head has to rule heart and CH will do what is best for the club overall.

At £25 a ticket the club have a duty to take this match seriously.

There was no way they could put ticket prices any lower as they don't want to encourage people along with cheap seats.

I am not bothering with this and will use the money saved to go to the Baggies game instead which is much more important to our season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Except we do. We threw away winning the Championship last season for that exact same reason.

Ha ha! That’s actually an ace serve by Tom Hark! We DID do that in fairness.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
winning matches of this magnitude give massive boost to the players. Losing dents their morale.. need to try our hardest to win.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This shitty attitude of picking and choosing when to send out the strongest team has to end. The Albion have been guilty of sending out a weakened team in the cup competitions for years now, and there was even a thread on here the other day advocating sending out a weakened team against 'The Big Six' in order to give the first choice players yet more resting time. Because, let's face it, the frequent international breaks are barely enough downtime for these precious souls. :rolleyes:
I agree with the sentiments. We've sent out weakened teams in Cup competitions because "we're never going to win them (the Cups) so let's not bother as league matches are more important". That sentiment is still there, but as you say it now seems to have been joined by: "We're never going to win them (matches against the Big Six) so let's not bother as league matches against our own kind are more important."

It's Practicality and Defeatism's sickly new infant. Needs to be killed before it gets any stronger.

I agree with the sentiments. We've sent out weakened teams in Cup competitions because "we're never going to win them (the Cups) so let's not bother as league matches are more important". That sentiment is still there, but as you say it now seems to have been joined by: "We're never going to win them (matches against the Big Six) so let's not bother as league matches against our own kind are more important."

It's Practicality and Defeatism's sickly new infant. Needs to be killed before it gets any stronger.
Why couldn't we win a cup, got to be more winnable now than ever if you take them seriously.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why couldn't we win a cup, got to be more winnable now than ever if you take them seriously.

Yes. That's why I put it in quotes as it's not my sentiment, I've never thought Cup success was beyond us. 2nd tier teams have won the FA Cup before and even 3rd tier teams can have good runs that can generate confidence and create memories. A classic case in point is the 1976/77 season. For me the stand-out games were those against WBA, Ipswich and Derby in the League Cup. Not a single league point was gained, but forty years later they're the games I really remember in detail. (Admittedly I went to nearly every game that season so almost inevitably the humdrum league games are just a blur). Plus it gave the players confidence, especially as the top teams played full-strength sides in those days. Losing is never good, no matter much how you want to sugar-coat it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here