Anyone else irritated by BBC Radio Sussex sports bulletins?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Couldn't believe what I heard this morning on the sports bulletin headlines at 7am: here we are with the Albion on the verge of breaking a club record for successive wins (and total points tally in one month), and what is Johnny's pronouncement: all about Australian cricket Ricky Ponting :angry:

If I want national sports coverage I'll listen to FiveLive or TalkSport etc, let alone INTERNATIONAL sport. Local radio is for local sport – get on it!

Rant over. :glare:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was worse when we played Stoke. There we were, our first appearance in the Fifth Round since Adam was a lad and all they could go on about was bloody Crawley! And before some smart-arse points out that Crawley are in Sussex that's not the point, Radio Sussex is OUR station! If Crawley aren't our rivals and aren't going to compete with us then they should only be on Radio Mercury.

And no I'm not being unreasonable.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
John Lees irritates me anyway, regardless of what he says. But he really annoys me when we get non-local sport headlines in front of our local stuff.

And I know Gareth Barry is a Hastings lad but do they have to keep mentioning it every five minutes when he is about to play for England. I know he is going to be captain tonight but isn't his old teacher getting fed up being phoned on a regular basis to be asked if Barry was a special player when he was a schoolboy?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm more than happy for both the local & national media to leave us alone to concentrate on getting promotion, There's plenty of time for publicity once it's been achieved.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I would have thought that the Ricky Ponce thing would probably interest more people than a 3rd division football side... There could be a football team somewhere in the pub league with a record pub league streak but to us it's small fish.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I think that to some extent we are 'old' news now. On Radio 5 last night they were talking about League 1 and had an interview with the Dagenham manager and Kevin Kilbane from Huddesfield and we barely got a mention other than in passing to say that we would win the league and everyone else was playing for second place.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I would have thought that the Ricky Ponce thing would probably interest more people than a 3rd division football side... There could be a football team somewhere in the pub league with a record pub league streak but to us it's small fish.

On one level I see your point. But the reality is that a local radio station's USP is that they understand their area, and deliver news that is particular to their area. Anyone can stick in BBC feeds about the London protests, or Libya, or the Japan earthquake, but Radio Sussex will major in their news coverage on local news which won't get covered elsewhere, which is what most people want – along with local traffic and travel, local sport etc

The Ricky Ponting story might be of general interest to cricket fans, and maybe deserved a place lower down the sports bulletin. But the Albion completing a maximum points month, breaking club records and possibly league records in the process, should be bread and butter for BBC Sussex. I can get the lowdown on Ponting in dozens of other places.

But Radio "Sussex" is now baased in Guildford! Its about as local as a Berni Inn. If it wasn' for the commentary of Albion games I would never lsietn to it. It has fek all local presence and has fek all to do with local issues. I shouldn't think they couold even tell you who the Mayor of Brighton is

and technically they have all the robustness of a copuple of old tin cans connected with a bit of string

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Last Sat morning was an all time low for me, keen to hear the result of the MK Dons v. Peterborough score of the previous evening, l tuned in to the 7am sports bulletin, and finally says the unnamed newsreader after reading out a lot of rubbish that was of no interest to anybody, Peterborough BEAT MK Dons two ALL last night!, eager to know the correct score l waited patiently until the 8am bulletin, only to hear the same rubbish again.

I realise that at weekends the likes of the normally dependable John Lees isnt there, so the bulletin is probabaly read out by some sports hateing hack, but u would hope that at least he would get something as simple as that correct.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
But Radio "Sussex" is now baased in Guildford! Its about as local as a Berni Inn. If it wasn' for the commentary of Albion games I would never lsietn to it. It has fek all local presence and has fek all to do with local issues. I shouldn't think they couold even tell you who the Mayor of Brighton is

and technically they have all the robustness of a copuple of old tin cans connected with a bit of string

Afraid you are wrong. BBC Sussex HQ is Queens Road Brighton where they have 2 studios. The Breakfast programme which stars Leesy as it's sport correspondent comes from there as do the mid morning and afternoon shows. However Drivetime now covers Kent, Sussex and Surrey and comes from the BBC South East HQ at Tunbridge Wells.

To be fair to Leesy on Monday in the sport headlines he did say that Brighton were 13 points ahead but now "only" 10 as Huddersfield had won their Sunday match. Leesy is still the only Albion and Sussex supporter on BBC Sussex who knows his stuff. The weekend news readers do not even understand football or cricket as is apparent when they read out results.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I though Danny Pike's show came from Guildford at 10.00am each morning. Doesnt the breakfast show before him come from Brighton? Sarah Gorell's afternoon show comes from Brighton. I know they have ruined the afternoon drive time and that comes from Tunbridge Wells. More and more of the BBC services are combining Kent and other home counties in their schedules and thus making it less local.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I though Danny Pike's show came from Guildford at 10.00am each morning. Doesnt the breakfast show before him come from Brighton? Sarah Gorell's afternoon show comes from Brighton. I know they have ruined the afternoon drive time and that comes from Tunbridge Wells. More and more of the BBC services are combining Kent and other home counties in their schedules and thus making it less local.

Every so often they switch Danny or Sarah's show to Guildford just for the day. I guess that is to boost the usage of the Guildford studios.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports