Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
LOL Guinness Boy :smile: I bridle at the term reactionary but fear I'm even worse than short-termist, I'm - if anything - "past-termist".

I actually believe we should have gone up last season, we were the best team in the Championship from start 2013 and it was galling that Gus was just outwitted in one match at the end by one-trick pony Ollie, but shit happens.

I can't argue with that at all. We SHOULD have gone up last season.

The actual reality is that Gus left behind a fine squad of players - and the board upped the budget from last season to bring in even more quality this season. The idea that we have to settle for worse than last season I reject totally, matching last season's acheivements with another year of bigger-budget squad-building should be the minimum we should expect. The example of the likes of Burnley this season shows that a decent stab at automatic problem should have been a target for us this season, given misfiring QPR etc.

This is where you lose me. Many of the "fine squad of players" were on loan, out of contract, long term injured or Poyet loyalists. Bridge, Vicente, CMS and Bridcutt to pick one from each category. And the issue isn't waiting for Oscar to learn where Wigan is - he has Burke and Jones for that - it's that the budget has increased but what you can get for the money has significantly decreased.

We ain't going up this season but I would expect a complete overhaul in the summer if we are serious about going up next season. There's no reason why we shouldn't be.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can't argue with that at all. We SHOULD have gone up last season.

This is where you lose me. Many of the "fine squad of players" were on loan, out of contract, long term injured or Poyet loyalists. Bridge, Vicente, CMS and Bridcutt to pick one from each category. And the issue isn't waiting for Oscar to learn where Wigan is - he has Burke and Jones for that - it's that the budget has increased but what you can get for the money has significantly decreased.

We ain't going up this season but I would expect a complete overhaul in the summer if we are serious about going up next season. There's no reason why we shouldn't be.

We lost Bridge, Lopez and Hammond, Vicente hadn't really played all season.
Bridcutt and CMS were injured but then CMS was injured for a lot of last season and we had Ulloa for the whole of this season.

He left behind a very good squad, in need of a few additions. Why would our money go less far this season?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Why would our money go less far this season?

Because our budget has increased but not, perhaps in real terms, keeping up with wage demands. If a player like Grabban is making silly wage demands the game's up. All the time teams like Forest take the piss and there are parachute payments it will only get worse too.

Because our budget has increased but not, perhaps in real terms, keeping up with wage demands. If a player like Grabban is making silly wage demands the game's up. All the time teams like Forest take the piss and there are parachute payments it will only get worse too.

The parachute payments is one point where we do agree strongly - the longer we stay in the Championship, the more difficult our position will be. Parachute make a mockery of the "fairness" of FFP. It will reward those for many years to come those who gambled hard to get to the Premiership.

This is why Brighton have no time for trainee managers who need to be bedded in to English conditions - these silly excuses must stop. Oscar should be judged in exactly the same way as Gus was, by his results, this season.

And where we disagree strongly - our squad did not degrade in any significant way over the summer. Ward's excellent form has seen to that and minimised the loss of Bridge (and take a look at what he's achieved for Reading this season!). Oscar gets good credit for Ward - but the rock of the team right now is that Thomas-Greer-Upson spine already in place that has been the main reason why we have just about stayed near the play-offs this season. The problem though is clear, we are not scoring enough goals to be genuine play-offs contenders, this is what Oscar must sort and NOW - hope that's short-termist enough :thumbsup: Let's hope the new ManU guy doesnt end up another baffling spare part like Lita and Obika. I'm not a a critic of the 4-5-1 per se, I like that this formation encourages a passing game - but there is no harm trying our new guy with Ulloa up front if Oscar insists on continuing to pick the solid midfielders over the attacking wingers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The parachute payments is one point where we do agree strongly - the longer we stay in the Championship, the more difficult our position will be. Parachute make a mockery of the "fairness" of FFP. It will reward those for many years to come those who gambled hard to get to the Premiership.

This is why Brighton have no time for trainee managers who need to be bedded in to English conditions - these silly excuses must stop. Oscar should be judged in exactly the same way as Gus was, by his results, this season.

And where we disagree strongly - our squad did not degrade in any significant way over the summer. Ward's excellent form has seen to that and minimised the loss of Bridge (and take a look at what he's achieved for Reading this season!). Oscar gets good credit for Ward - but the rock of the team right now is that Thomas-Greer-Upson spine already in place that has been the main reason why we have just about stayed near the play-offs this season. The problem though is clear, we are not scoring enough goals to be genuine play-offs contenders, this is what Oscar must sort and NOW - hope that's short-termist enough :thumbsup: Let's hope the new ManU guy doesnt end up another baffling spare part like Lita and Obika. I'm not a a critic of the 4-5-1 per se, I like that this formation encourages a passing game - but there is no harm trying our new guy with Ulloa up front if Oscar insists on continuing to pick the solid midfielders over the attacking wingers.

It's not like we haven't been creating chances, we have. Some games we have been thwarted by excellent goalkeeping, sometimes the 'woodwork' and on other occasions by rank bad finishing. I don't see anything wrong in the way we play, just poor execution at the sharp end mixed in with a bit of bad luck. Our main problem has been the lack of support for Leo, hopefully jesse will be able to provide this now.

I think Oscar has done a good job and for the most part the results have been pretty decent.

Noc such thing as bad luck I'm afraid. I don't think the quality of our chances, say against Wigan, were high. This is what creates "bad luck". The only awful miss was Stephens's.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

We have added Jesse Lingard specifically to increase our goal scoring options. I think everyone was aware that area needed beefing up.

That said I cannot recommend enough a quick look at statto.com every now and again. For example, it will tell you that after 31 games last season we had 46 points and were 7th.
This season after 31 we are 8th on.............46 points. It will also show you we had scored far more goals (43 versus 33) at this stage last season (which bears out what you say about the spine) but the point is that in terms of actual points we were no better off at all and we were still outside the playoffs with a squad that should have gone up.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/2012-2013/table/2013-02-16

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Another typical day yesterday from Oscar. Dull

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Really? Just watched Football League show, our play leading up to the own goal was sublime.

Not sure what people are expecting to be honest.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Really? Just watched Football League show, our play leading up to the own goal was sublime.

Not sure what people are expecting to be honest.

This. Our play in the majority of the 1st half was decent it just lacked the final ball or anyone getting in to the box.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That's where posters like you kill any argument you have and show a complete lack of understanding. Playing 4-4-2 or more direct does not mean hoofball. In fact playing with Leo as a lone target man and keep banging the ball to him, could be considered by some as hoofball! I think many on here who would love to see a different style/formation, would equally be as pissed off with hoofball, as what we have now. There are more than one or two ways to play football believe it or not.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's where posters like you kill any argument you have and show a complete lack of understanding. Playing 4-4-2 or more direct does not mean hoofball. In fact playing with Leo as a lone target man and keep banging the ball to him, could be considered by some as hoofball! I think many on here who would love to see a different style/formation, would equally be as pissed off with hoofball, as what we have now. There are more than one or two ways to play football believe it or not.

But we're only playing 1 way and it's pretty stale

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

i forgot the question mark..it was a rhetorical comment....anyway u don't like garcia so you want something else...anything else?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The defence is solid, we need more pace going forward, especially on the counter attack. The lack of pace is in midfield, so i feel that either Buckley or Lua Lua must start. Either Lopez or Andrews should make way.
Crofts is missed, Stephens should be fit soon.
Just more urgency and pace would put teams on the back foot, could also open up more opportunities for Ulloa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yesterday sowed the first doubts I have had, I am going for it being a one off. We have pretty well a full squad to choose from now and we can't score, I was impressed with how we did with all those injuries, I was seriously unimpressed with us yesterday.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
i forgot the question mark..it was a rhetorical comment....anyway u don't like garcia so you want something else...anything else?
I want a manager with a proven track record. As seasons pass by, its going to be harder and harder for us to get promoted. Whilst I was happy with Oscars appointment (ie it wasn't Poyet) its clearly not working out, and I feel we need a manager who has a proven record, and not one who is learning his trade and is unproven. I feel this squad should be pushing Burnley, not scrapping for the final play off spot.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I want a manager with a proven track record. As seasons pass by, its going to be harder and harder for us to get promoted. Whilst I was happy with Oscars appointment (ie it wasn't Poyet) its clearly not working out, and I feel we need a manager who has a proven record, and not one who is learning his trade and is unproven. I feel this squad should be pushing Burnley, not scrapping for the final play off spot.

Well i asked the question and you've answered it ...i have my concerns.....we shall see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports