Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to the Maldives?

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Silver wedding anniversary next year and Mrs Hoop has said she'd love to go to the Maldives.
Anyone been? Any recommendations?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
You lucky get!

I haven't been there but I know lots of people who have and it's
terrific.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes, but more than 20 years ago, before they had swimming pools on the islands and we had to make do with the quite unbelievable Indian Ocean!

It's stunning, simply stunning.

Enjoy.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
yes i've been. Its simply beautiful. Stay in one of those gorgeous bungalows over the water and then spend the week swimming around the island exploring the marine life. Not the cheapest place in the world though so save your pennies!

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Went on honeymoon this summer and it truly was breathtakingly beautiful. The snorkelling was incredible, the people that couldn't do enough to make our stay even more amazing, the food, on what was essentially a tiny island in the middle of the ocean was wonderful each and every night. Oh and i was lucky enough to share the experience...

Feel free to PM me if you'd like specifics and a more in depth appraisal of the pluses and minuses (from our perspective).

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
As per the poster above the beaches are simply stunning (picture postcard) and the warmth and hospitality that myself and my wife received was first class.

We stayed at Paradise Island and whilst there are many islands to choose from I would thoroughly recommend this island for the quality of the accommodation, food and beaches. All inclusive is the way forward but there are several other restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery including a lovely Japanese and Italian restaurant.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Thanks BBBW - will check out Paradise Island.
Thanks Rabeen - pm sent.

Would love to know where the rest of you stayed and if you'd recommend that resort.

Trevy55555

Dec 26, 2012
Worthing
Our 25th last April and went to Chaya donvelhi in the Maldives. Absolute paradise fella! If you can, get a room on the water. Once in a lifetime prob but would love to go again! Congrats and have good one !

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove

have a look at Kuredu Island - not the most expensive but one of the 'bigger' tiny islands and a bit more to do - there's even a tiny 9 hole golf club so can escape the missus by going to the bar afterwards which on an island of 200 people is pretty impressive! For value for money this takes some beating but definitely get the seaplane from Mali as the speedboat will nearly finish you off before holiday started!

scooter1

How soon is now?
We stayed on Vilhamendoo Island, it was great if a little dated, but has just had a makeover. As has been said above, hospitality and food were excellent. We went all inc and although you can go half board, i'd recommend all inc so that tou can simply forget about having to pay...

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I have heard its just the same as Mauritius and if it is then paradise awaits you sir. White sandy beaches with a clear warm sea.

Takes me back a few years.

telrald

Jan 11, 2006
east grinstead
As per the poster above the beaches are simply stunning (picture postcard) and the warmth and hospitality that myself and my wife received was first class.

We stayed at Paradise Island and whilst there are many islands to choose from I would thoroughly recommend this island for the quality of the accommodation, food and beaches. All inclusive is the way forward but there are several other restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery including a lovely Japanese and Italian restaurant.

We too went to paradise island. Unbelievably scenery (even though it was only couple years after tsunami), food was amazing, we stayed in a room on the beach as opposed to water bungalow and was still stunningly clean.

Would advise you do one of the PADI dives (don't need any license etc and they give you training) as at 10 metres under, the coral and sealife are very spectacular

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Been to Meerufenfushi (two nights), Velavaru three times and Meedhupparu.
Didn't like Meedhupparu too much.Food sometimes questionable. Not a lot of coral about for snorkelling. Plus there is one section of beach that has concrete sea defences that trap water behind it, the water stagnates a bit leaving a whiff.
Meeru was OK, but the food was good.
Velavaru - loved it. It's a small island with accomodation all along the shore. Our room was along the best part for snorkelling, especially if you like watching the sharks! But this island has changed a lot since then, and the prices have jumped.

Maldives sharks - YouTube

The 2004 Boxing Day tsunami did have quite an effect on some of the islands, we got back from Velavaru a week before it hit the resort (2 people died).
We've been back since then, it looked the same, but the damage to the coral in the lagoon was very noticeable.

The dry season is November – April, but even then you can get some real downpours. They don't last long though.

I'd definitely like go back there.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just a warning. It's very very expensive.

If you don't get an all-inclusive deal you will spend a fortune on drinks and food. Someone I know spend hundreds of pounds just on bottled water!

The other criticism I've heard is that there is nothing much to do except beach-related stuff, plus of course eating and drinking!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Thanks BBBW - will check out Paradise Island.
Thanks Rabeen - pm sent.

Would love to know where the rest of you stayed and if you'd recommend that resort.

Been twice and i wouldnt recommend paradise island, even though it is pretty (if you like that sort of thing)

Meeru aka meerufenfushi was much better, and the reason why is that there are two types of island in the maldives. Paradise island is all manicured man made gardens and pathways with a nice hotel and stuning beaches..... But its like any resort hotel in the world, stunning but artificial. People sitting in tiled floored restaurants, it was more formal than meeru the beach is maldivian, the designer hotel and gardens could be from anywhere.

Meeru, same stunning beach, slightly bigger island and the island is left more natural, reception and restaurants have natural sand floors. After you arrive you can lose your shoes for 2 weeks. Beautiful beach villas and water villas set in natural landscape with fruitbats and birds inhabiting the natural vegetation. For those reasons, whilst i enjoed paradise, meeru experience was unbeatable.

Good luck

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here