Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been to Maldives?

bigtrigg

May 9, 2008
Cambridge ex Shoreham
Bear in mind all costs out there (food, local tax, activities) all charged in USD - something to think about as we hit £/$ parity. £30 quid burger now commonplace in the posh places.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I went to Makunudu Island Resort a few years ago as our 'ultimate' holiday. The island is only a few hundred yards long with 36 huts. Each hut has its own beach area with loungers plus table and chairs. The main thing is snorkling (not for me though) and so all day every day we had this island to ourselves. It was all inclusive but most of the time we just relaxed on our beach. Booked independantly and flew via Sri Lanka.
HINTS.
Make sure the holiday cost includes transport to/from resort. This can add £100's.
If you go via somewhere (Dubia) make it a stopover for a few days.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Went 30+ years ago - before they spoilt many islands with hotels, pools etc, so any information I can provide is years out of date.

In those days it really was 'no news, no shoes' holidays.

Go as far away Malé as possible - I believe you can do this now by helicopter or speedboat - when we went it was on a Dhoni and took about 4 hours to Meerufenfushi.

Do as much diving / snorkelling as possible - it's amazing.

Anyone got some more recent experience than 30 years ago, best I can see is 2019. Must be some more recent visits surely…………

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bear in mind all costs out there (food, local tax, activities) all charged in USD - something to think about as we hit £/$ parity. £30 quid burger now commonplace in the posh places.

True, most packages though are all-inclusive, so most/all of that is factored in and paid for before you go. No nasty surprises when it comes to paying your bill.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
We went to Meeru in 2019. A wonderful holiday but very very expensive, unless you are a diving/snorkelling freak, sunbathe or read an awful lot l would suggest it may become very boring after about a week, as apart from eat and drink there isn't an awful lot to do otherwise.

Went to Meeru for our honeymoon 9 years ago. As you say - probably not great for more than a week. But we thoroughly enjoyed the week we were there. Stayed there for a week, then did a week on a boat touring. The latter was *amazing* (boat was rather run down and in need of a spruce up, but given it was only us and one other honeymoon couple on the entire boat we had the crews full attention :p). Got to see a lot of the less well-trodden areas and islands that are either too small for resorts or dedicated to the locals.

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/kani/y

Went here before Club Med got their hands on it. Must say it was the best holiday I've had, and I have been to many 'exotic' locations. as had been said previously it is expensive. Had most of the Island to ourselves as most of the other people went diving off the island.

Would go back in a flash!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here