Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been/going skiing this year ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this chat I’m starting to miss the mountains and starting to think maybe I can get another trip in before the season’s out.

You know it makes sense :)

Ditto. Knee suddenly feeling much better. So I’ve started delving into booking.com, tripadvisor and airline websites.

Innsbruck flight costs look good if you avoid stampede dates such the first Saturday of April.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It's that zipwire at Val Thorens that you'd never get me on in a month of Sundays :eek:
It was being built the last time we were there; I meant to go back and have a go but I have stopped going at all now and sold my ski gear.

I'm sure we did the Grand Couloir. I recognised the name straight away and it looks exactly like the sort of thing my more experienced friends would have dragged me down,

What with this thread and all the winter Olympics I am so tempted to try and get going again. To everyone who is going have a great time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The other great thing about winter sports is the food!

1) France it’s things like Tartiflette, steak frites, fondue, raclete and Tomme
2) Austria it is Gröstl, Schnitzel, Käsespätzle and sausages.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The other great thing about winter sports is the food!

1) France it’s things like Tartiflette, steak frites, fondue, raclete and Tomme
2) Austria it is Gröstl, Schnitzel, Käsespätzle and sausages.

I'm not sure it's the food itself, which is often quite simple, It's the justification for the food. I'm just going out to exercise in -15C and burning off calories like it's going out of fashion. You could never justify a cooked breakfast 6 days running at home (or I couldn't).

11 o'clock ? Austria ? Bring over that hash thing with the fried eggs on top that Brighton will probably discover in 20 years time :wink:

And what's that you say ? It's gone 12 ? Better bring a gluhwein to wash it down :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
how weird, I was going to start a similar thread.

Yes, I'm currently skiing this week in Meribel. Just had two days of v good snow, but visibility up top is v bad so I had my midweek break day today.

Am back out tomorrow where it's meant to be clearing up but scarily mild. Annoying as it would be perfect to ski after the two days worth of snow!

Will head up to Val Thorens tomorrow to keep up high and better conditions. Overall though, the snow is excellent! Lots of drinking and eating rich food also.

Meribel is lovely but v expensive.

Have you made a visit to la Folie Douche yet? Always fun getting down the Mountain after a few drinks up there.

Have you made a visit to Fol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you made a visit to la Folie Douche yet? Always fun getting down the Mountain after a few drinks up there.

Have you made a visit to Fol

Those two in St Anton are worse, Moosenwirt and Krazy Kangaroo.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I understand Prince Andrew has had to cancel his annual trip to Verbier owing to an issue surrounding his accommodation.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Usually snowboard 3-4 times a week, perks of living in Vancouver. Season pass for Whistler, and I have a friend who runs the skii school on one of the local North Shore mountains who can get me a pass whenever I fancy some night riding.

December conditions were unreal, just DUMPED record levels especially Whistler. Early January was okay, but it's been dry as a bone the past 3-4 weeks for the most part.

We tend to stay in Meribel when we've done the three valleys and although expensive, it's not as bad as Courchevel :eek:

There's a great run between Meribel and Courchevel called Grand Couloir. I did it with my son about 8/9 years ago and sadly don't think I'll manage it again at my age and with my knees, but if you like a bit of adrenalin.

Enjoy the rest of your week :thumbsup:

Looks mega, but no, not done it and won't be able to now.

I'll try that the next time I'm in the 3 Valley's though!

Had a fantastic day on the slopes today. Am very very content with how it went today.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Brilliant! I'm in Kelowna, so you'll likely be headed to Big White.
I've got snowboard gear and a season pass you can borrow/use if you fancy.

Staying close to Silverstar resort and will be skiing there and Sun Peaks. Jnr had some friends on a ski season nearby so going to have a couple of days with them in Banff.

Flights and car-hire booked. Cant wait!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Brother in Law recently returned from Big White in Canada - great weather, great snow, demi-deserted slopes, no queues, overall best skiing holiday ever.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Wz's have finally got their arses into gear and booked holidays at work for two and a half weeks time.

So I need to book something in the next few days. The huge resorts in France looks outrageously expensive this year, and having probably done the last 7-8 times there, a change may be good. I've always loved Italy and the Milky Way for skiing, food/atmosphere and pretty villages, but the snow looks fairly crap this season. Austria is tempting, but Andorra looks good snow wise and I don't think we have been there since the kids were really young (maybe 17/18 years ago ?). I see they have linked Pas de la Casa, Grau Roig, Canillo and Encamp to Soldeu and El Tartare and it appears to give a pretty big ski area.

Anyone been in last couple of weeks and have a view on snow conditions and/or Andorra before I commit ?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The best laid plans etc :facepalm:

Always use Iglu to book and have been keeping my eye on prices, availability, snow reports etc for the last couple of weeks. So, this morning I phone up to book a Catered Chalet in El Tartare.

We're very sorry, but that appears to be unavailable
But is says it's still available for up to 14 people on your website and I only want 4
Sorry, but it's fully booked
Luckily there's a second chalet on your website in El Tartare that's available
Sorry that's gone
OK, I have a backup of this Hotel in Sauze d'oulx
Afraid that's not available either, we are having trouble with the website
(Under breath) Well what's the f***ing point in having a website - what do you have ?
Reels off a few holidays that the Russian Oligarchs have obviously cancelled
HOW MUCH ? I'm not paying that
Have you considered self catering ?

I've never had a problem with Iglu before, simply search holiday, choose it and book it :shrug:

So I'm now paying a fortune to go on a bloody self catered student skiing trip :angry:

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Was in Austria last week. They had decent snow the week before but was getting icy by the time we left. Day temps in Iscgul were above freezing. Lovely skiing and the night toboggan run was brilliant

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Booked a week in Austria at the beginning of April. Due to the pandemic, our first skiing since New Year 2019/20.

Excited.

You’ll be lucky if there’s any snow left. Absolutely baking in the alps atm. Was in a t-shirt and hoody today even that was too much. Been like that all week too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here