Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody know about tax for Self Employed Hod Carriers?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Both work their socks off. Hod carrying is back breaking hard work. Carers deserve more most would agree.

Completely agree, hod carriers have my admiration for their strength and stamina (as being an unfit little short arse I would struggle doing it) but I still find it huge money for the skills needed for the job. No wonder most of the building sites my company deliver to in London have very few British labourers.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I agree with you regards carers pay, they should get a lot more. I would add that hod carriers/bricklayers get no holiday pay (including no pay for bank holidays and most sites shut for at least 10 days over christmas), no sick pay and from personal experience rarely manage to work more than 40/42 weeks of the year due to weather, enforced shut downs etc

I so agree but also have family members who are support workers for special needs and they also get paid minimum wage and don't get paid during school holidays etc. As mentioned as a reply to a previous poster I don't envy hod carriers but the wages many trades get paid these days is crazy (my dad is a retired plumber btw and said to me a while ago that he wouldn't get out of bed for £20 per hour)

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
I so agree but also have family members who are support workers for special needs and they also get paid minimum wage and don't get paid during school holidays etc. As mentioned as a reply to a previous poster I don't envy hod carriers but the wages many trades get paid these days is crazy (my dad is a retired plumber btw and said to me a while ago that he wouldn't get out of bed for £20 per hour)

Funnily enough, brickies/hod carriers tend to get the lowest rates when it comes to day work, chippies, sparks and plumbers all get paid more than us on the site we're working on at moment. I know several painters/decorators who get upwards of £200 a day

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Lord help the fly
That casts its eye
On a painters dinner in winter time.

Another is:
The brickies get steak and onion
The carpenters bread and cheese
What will the poor old painter do
When the leaves fall of the trees

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Funnily enough, brickies/hod carriers tend to get the lowest rates when it comes to day work, chippies, sparks and plumbers all get paid more than us on the site we're working on at moment. I know several painters/decorators who get upwards of £200 a day

Great work if you can get it. And to think my Dad encouraged me to go to uni and not spend my life crawling around in people's attics yet if I had taken over his business I would be earning 3 times the amount as a plumber compared to a project coordinator for a joinery firm (supposedly using my brain!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here