Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Wiltshire seagulls?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is nothing wrong with Swindon if you choose the right parts....its the same as any other city, good parts and bad parts.

Anyway its to far from Bristol for the OP its about 30 -40 mins, but Ive lived here for 25 years ( bar 2 years in Manila) so if OP wants any info PM me.

I agree. Town Gardens especially is WONDERFUL. And Victoria Gardens as well. Nice squirrels and swans.

Not a place I'm going to visit again though.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We live about 4 miles from Trowbridge, just the other side of the border in Somerset. I would say hans craay fan club is pretty spot on in his assessment. However, there are loads of decent villages all around. Like most places, it is possible to assess somewhere by the property prices. Places like Trowbridge, Dilton Marsh and Warminster are cheap for a reason. If you don't want to live in a village, the best town around here (apart from Bath) is Frome - a real mix, but very "arty/bohemian", with loads of decent coffee shops and slightly odd shops.

I used to live and work near Chippenham, and that was quite pleasant, although I’m talking 20 years ago now. It’s about 20-25 miles away from Bristol, 2 stops on the main London to Bristol train line. I’ve visited a couple of times since then and it doesn’t seem to have changed a great deal.

I’ve got a mate who still lives & works in Wiltshire, I’ve asked him if he could give you some pointers.

I’ve got another mate who works regularly in Trowbridge; I’ve never heard him say a good word about the place.

I've only just seen this post, so apologies for being behind the times - that probably sums Chippenham up actually. I have lived here for 8 years and I find it a very pleasant town. I like the slightly slower pace of life here - people have time to talk to you, and the crime rate is quite low. The main street in the town has several smaller shops and has a bit of a 1950s feel about it. On the edge of the town there are some supermarkets and small industrial estates, Swindon and Bath are just one stop away on the main line that runs from Bristol (Temple Meads) to London, with trains every half hour during the week, taking 30 minutes to Bristol and 75 minutes to London.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
There is nothing wrong with Swindon if you choose the right parts....its the same as any other city, good parts and bad parts.

'Nothing wrong' is hardly a glowing endorsement of the place, and it's not a city.

If I was the OP, I'd be looking to move to Bristol or Bath, which are both very nice cities. But then generally prefer to live in a city or large town rather than a village.

Town Gardens especially is WONDERFUL. And Victoria Gardens as well. Nice squirrels and swans.

Sure it has nice parks. It lacks decent night life, gigs & shops (possibly partly because it doesn't have a university), and you're likely to use these much more than you visit the parks if you lived here.

Old Town Seagull

Jul 2, 2010
Saltdean
Agree with Swindonseagull that Swindon is a good place to live. Have been here for 13 happy years. Some good schools and surrounded by lovely countryside. 2 hours to the AMEX door to door - 15 minute walk to the county ground ( Swindon) but hopefully wont be playing there again any time soon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We live about 4 miles from Trowbridge, just the other side of the border in Somerset. I would say hans craay fan club is pretty spot on in his assessment. However, there are loads of decent villages all around. Like most places, it is possible to assess somewhere by the property prices. Places like Trowbridge, Dilton Marsh and Warminster are cheap for a reason. If you don't want to live in a village, the best town around here (apart from Bath) is Frome - a real mix, but very "arty/bohemian", with loads of decent coffee shops and slightly odd shops.

I'm glad you agree. In return, I agree with you, too, on Frome. My sister in law lived there for a few years, so been there a good few times. Decent little place.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Thanks everyone some great advice, looking forward to going to Millwall which is my first game back love it. :albion2: I'll let you know we I settled. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here