Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any railway modellers on here?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I've just begun again after 35 odd years away. In the process of building a small layout (only 7' x 4' given space) with mainly GWR and Western region early diesel stock.
Did buy the latest Hornby 'Evening Star' out at Gaugemaster at Ford last week when I was down visiting my folks. 230 notes though, getting to be an expensive hobby!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen a few at Amberley Musuem recently and must admit it did make me tempted. Suspect it is a slippery slope towards taking over your life though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can people stop bouncing this thread unless there are some seriously impressive photographs of proper layouts

Oh .. :facepalm:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I was at a house a couple of months ago where the bloke (single, 50s) was having a large full on garden office built, proper one costing around £40k, so that he can build a larger model railway set-up than he could in his house.

:moo:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've just begun again after 35 odd years away. In the process of building a small layout (only 7' x 4' given space) with mainly GWR and Western region early diesel stock.
Did buy the latest Hornby 'Evening Star' out at Gaugemaster at Ford last week when I was down visiting my folks. 230 notes though, getting to be an expensive hobby!!!

Wow! . . .rather like my aircraft scale modelling kits, Airfix and the like, prices have really rocketed, just in the last few years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I finished a huge set with landscapes etc that’s my dad and my G. Uncle started but that Dad never lived to see completed.

I just followed my GU’s instructions but a very fine memory indeed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was at a house a couple of months ago where the bloke (single, 50s) was having a large full on garden office built, proper one costing around £40k, so that he can build a larger model railway set-up than he could in his house.

:moo:

. . . and they say there is a cost of living crisis. :facepalm:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I used to be, and still have all of the stuff that I had as a youngster in the loft, however trying to get into these days is nigh on impossible due to how expensive it all is.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
. . . and they say there is a cost of living crisis. :facepalm:

There are obvious advantages when the Government is sympathetic to the woes of the higher tax rate payers. A gratuitous few £thousand a year gets you a decent model railway - and maybe a small model of a pre-grouping private owner's coal wagon can trickle down to level things up a bit. Truss/Kwarteng Toryfkucenomics - as a thesis? ........ no GCSE.

Last edited:

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Coming back to it, like you after 30 years, I'm amazed that the standard Hornby & Bachmann models now really are models rather than toys. I end up putting my latest additions away when my grandchildren come and leave them to "play" with the 60's Triang/Hornby stuff. They may not be brilliant scale models but the stuff from the 60's is robust.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
My dad used to make micromodels of steam engines. Tiny things made from card, measured to scale using a variety of steam train reference books, meticulously hand painted. He made hundreds. I'm proud to say they're now in the care of the Brighton Toy and Model Museum, but we kept a few. I'd post a pic if I could work out how.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When I get old and rich I'll definitely get into this.

I already get accused of being one, however. Apparently I share the surname with someone who is an absolute God in the Swedish railway modelling-community.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I used to have a shed load of Lima H0 from when I was a kid. My kids weren’t interested so I gave it away now I’ve seen how much it’s worth can’t say I’m not a bit gutted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here