Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Physio's or athletic types. Any advice would be great

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Deep heat always works wonders
I agree, best stuff ever.

But just wondering is it better to keep a muscle regularly stretched out for it to heal (like if you went to Physio they often gice you stretches), or to just rest it as much as poss.

Currently have a small niggle in my thigh/ knee.Have heard to keep stretching it. but just seeing if anyone else has any ideas

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If you have tight achy muscles. i.e. thighs and above knees. Is it better to rest them until it stops aching, or to stretch them regularly?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

If they are really tight, consult a physio. They may need to be worked on to lengthen them. Needles work really well. If you are young, it is even more important so you don't keep tearing them when you exercise.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
If they are really tight, consult a physio. They may need to be worked on to lengthen them. Needles work really well. If you are young, it is even more important so you don't keep tearing them when you exercise.

ok thanks. they're not really tight, just feel a little bit pulled and I could still play an hour of footy I'm sure without yelping in pain. Am very nearly 40, so am sort of young and sort of old.
My mate reckons I should keep streching them, but just wondered if to get them fully better I should just rest it as much as poss.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
ok thanks. they're not really tight, just feel a little bit pulled and I could still play an hour of footy I'm sure without yelping in pain. Am very nearly 40, so am sort of young and sort of old.
My mate reckons I should keep streching them, but just wondered if to get them fully better I should just rest it as much as poss.

I play and train for Rugby 3 times a week and have always got little niggles in my thighs..... defo light running and streching works for me. I don't know if thats the correct medical advice.... hot baths also help...... without wanting to sound patronising.... Warming up and DOWN after excericse is the best way to stop this happening. Failing that Deep Heat all the way !

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I play and train for Rugby 3 times a week and have always got little niggles in my thighs..... defo light running and streching works for me. I don't know if thats the correct medical advice.... hot baths also help...... without wanting to sound patronising.... Warming up and DOWN after excericse is the best way to stop this happening. Failing that Deep Heat all the way !

Sounds like good sensible advice to me. Especially the warming down. I did try an ice bath after the last footy game.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Mate - sorry to break it to you, but in sports terms - you're old! lol

By young I had meant mid-teens.

I am sure stretching properly before exercise will be all that is required.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Anything that hurts after exercise - ice. Warmth before exercise.

I couldn't understand how ice helps with tightness but my physio says it's all about blood flow. Presumably by constricting the blood vessels initially, it then encourages a flow of blood to the area which promotes healing.

I've had achilles and calf trouble. These days rather than rest the injury, unless it's severe, the advice seems to be to keep it moving as much as possible as pain allows. In the case of my achilles, I have to do strengthening/stretching through the pain - they're certain the tendon won't rupture.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Anything that hurts after exercise - ice. Warmth before exercise.

I couldn't understand how ice helps with tightness but my physio says it's all about blood flow. Presumably by constricting the blood vessels initially, it then encourages a flow of blood to the area which promotes healing.

I've had achilles and calf trouble. These days rather than rest the injury, unless it's severe, the advice seems to be to keep it moving as much as possible as pain allows. In the case of my achilles, I have to do strengthening/stretching through the pain - they're certain the tendon won't rupture.

Thanks for the advice. All a learning experience for me. :)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thanks for the advice. All a learning experience for me. :)

put deep heat on your nuts.......it won't help you thighs but it will give you something else to worry about for half an hour.

a nice long walk followed by a cold bath should help you legs.:smile:

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
After heavy hockey training sessions, we are told that an ice (or just cold) bath and a light run the next day will help get rid of any lactic acid left over. Also, a warm down - a run and proper stretching - is ESSENTIAL. Make sure heavy exercise is not a shock - keep it relatively regular.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
After heavy hockey training sessions, we are told that an ice (or just cold) bath and a light run the next day will help get rid of any lactic acid left over. Also, a warm down - a run and proper stretching - is ESSENTIAL. Make sure heavy exercise is not a shock - keep it relatively regular.

Thanks. will try and do more of a warm down.

My knee and just above feels a little not quite right, but not painful just slightly pulled. I suppose I should just keep going, but take it easy.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
go and see Malcolm Stuart the old Albion physio. He's very reasonable (£20p/h IIRC), and a Brighton legend. Miss him running out on to the pitch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here