Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Any other old gits used to buy / collect mad magazines ?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
During my mis spent college days, I used to collect 'Mad' magazines. Remember the one, with Alfred E Newman on the front cover every month ? The American humour was groundbreaking, and the artwork was phenomenal. I had the entire 381 volume set in my loft, and decided to sell them, because they were not being read. I declined an offer of £200 for them, because I thought that it was derisory, and decided to give them to the local hospice shop, because I knew that they employed an eBay expert, who would obtain a decent price for them. A couple of months later, I received a letter from the hospice, thanking me for the £65 that they'd sold them for. I can't deny, I was livid. The magazines were virtually mint !
Did / does any of the older NSCers remember being captivated by this crazy publication ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember doing that fold on the last page thing :thumbsup:

More of a Fat Freddie's Cat fan from another well known series of comics :angel:

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Somewhere I have a set of CD’s containing every magazine. I think it’s called “Totally Mad”

I still have some paperbacks, this being my favourite

0411D558-044D-492D-83C8-6469689EC3BF.jpeg

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As a kid I used to enjoy buying the occasional copy. Some of the American humor went over my head but I enjoyed a lot of the cartoons and one-liners, many have somehow stuck in my mind for decades.

The parodies in the British edition were a bit hit-and-miss, I recall. I remember when they did Minder and they portrayed Arthur Daley with a cigarette (rather than a cigar) in his mouth. I'm still quite angry and upset about this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mad was always too American and alien to me growing up. I bought a 1936 copy of Magnet comic/magazine (Billy Bunter/Greyfriars) for a quid from a charity shop a few years back, and it’s now worth...about a quid. Also bought some tatty WW2 era Beano comics from NSC’s own Jam the Man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here