Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any other old gits build Lego kits?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do you glue the pieces together?(can see some in the background).

Yes mate

Basically you get laser cut wood sections, loads of planks and lengths of round wood for masts etc. you also get photo etched parts ( the railing posts in that picture) and metal parts as well as 6or seven bobbins of rope/ twine for the rigging etc

You you start with false keel and shape and model it to put the hull planking ( double planked) on after soaking the planks overnight and then bend them to fit! Yes using all types of glue, wood glue, super glue, epoxy resin glue etc.

It’s good fun but can be very fiddly especially rigging and threading dead eyes etc.

There is a lot of sanding and shaping etc.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I love Lego too, have done ever since I was a little kid. Here are pics my favourite two. The gearbox on the GT3RS is a piece of mechanical art.

88cac645a673249e5e6747e80fdead26.jpg

b658dcd2c5dd33ef635aae0c32232944.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I love Lego too, have done ever since I was a little kid. Here are pics my favourite two. The gearbox on the GT3RS is a piece of mechanical art.

Superb.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Btw. Don’t be tempted to buy the Chinese rip offs of Lego!

A mate spent £100 on the Death Star from an online company but when it came, it was missing instructions which included a link to another website for them starting at £300

They look like the real thing but aren’t

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

That orange Porsche sells for a fortune on ebay now!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Doesn’t look like the Lego I remember

Likewise, the Lego that l spent endless hours playing with, and grew up with as a kid in the late 60's, was unrecognisable from this modern stuff, and far more rudimentary.

Correct me if l'm wrong, but l think Lego is sold now to build specific kits of something, whereas back in the day they just sold Lego building blocks, with which kids could use their imagination, and fashion anything they liked out of them. It was that aspect that l particularly enjoyed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My brother in law has the £600 Titanic.

He is understandably terrified of my 4 year old going near it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Likewise, the Lego that l spent endless hours playing with, and grew up with as a kid in the late 60's, was unrecognisable from this modern stuff, and far more rudimentary.

Correct me if l'm wrong, but l think Lego is sold now to build specific kits of something, whereas back in the day they just sold Lego building blocks, with which kids could use their imagination, and fashion anything they liked out of them. It was that aspect that l particularly enjoyed.

You can get both ....

there is also a very good second hand market for it.

yep another another who enjoys making lego either the kits or freestyle. I think both can be creat for kids i.e. can they follow a set of plans and also if they freestyle it then it helps
develop their imagination.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Higher now than when I bought it(Got it for 450 bucks) but it was awesome to put together as its still my favorite animated show of all time(Besides Popeye obviously :)
Unfortunately, I lost the box during the move as I had intended to put it together again at the new house smh, but here is a stock picture:

81N1xXyxsgL._AC_SX522_.jpg

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I follow Emma Kennedy’s Lego build twitter feed, fun with bricks ( she is bonkers)

But I never really got any lego stuff when I was young so I started buying stuff lately.

Fathers day present just finished

View attachment 152489

Huge Ferrari….took me months!

View attachment 152490

Nice motor bike…took about 2 months.

Still do wooden ships and trams - latest creation…Endurance, Earnest Shackleton’s ship.

View attachment 152491
View attachment 152492

I’ve just built that Panigale. Could you get the gears to do anything? I think I went wrong somewhere!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’ve just built that Panigale. Could you get the gears to do anything? I think I went wrong somewhere!

I think I may have also had a problem. The back wheels turn and the pistons go up and down, and I thought that was in effect how the gears worked?

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I think I may have also had a problem. The back wheels turn and the pistons go up and down, and I thought that was in effect how the gears worked?

Yeah, maybe. The instructions were so pained to point out the correct positions for everything I guess I was expecting more!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yeah, maybe. The instructions were so pained to point out the correct positions for everything I guess I was expecting more!

I know what you mean

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here