Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any Other Old Gits Build Airfix Kits?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Following fast on the Lego thread, do any other old gits build plastic model kits?

It doesn't have to be Airfix of course, other manufacturers are available, notably Revell, Tamiyah, Italeri etc. etc. make good ones too.

I have probably put hundreds together over the years, intitially as a kid, most of which l crashed in simulated dog fights with my pals, but over the past few years l have revisited the hobby, and it is giving me a lot of enjoyment in my doteage.

Mainly British World War II aircraft. I have just finished making the last of the heavy bombers the Short Sterling, having previously built the Lanc, the Halifax, Wellington and Hampden.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I loved Airfix kits as a child/teenager and it is definitely on my "to do" list to start up again, used to love making them and hope to get a bit more free time in the near future to start back up my collection and hope to revisit the models I made. Thanks for reminding me!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Following fast on the Lego thread, do any other old gits build plastic model kits?

It doesn't have to be Airfix of course, other manufacturers are available, notably Revell, Tamiyah, Italeri etc. etc. make good ones too.

I have probably put hundreds together over the years, intitially as a kid, most of which l crashed in simulated dog fights with my pals, but over the past few years l have revisited the hobby, and it is giving me a lot of enjoyment in my doteage.

Mainly British World War II aircraft. I have just finished making the last of the heavy bombers the Short Sterling, having previously built the Lanc, the Halifax, Wellington and Hampden.

And to make those simulated Airfix dogfights more realistic

fuel.jpg

:thumbsup:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

Have you visited the model shop in Dorking? Some fantastic made up models in the shop window and plenty of stock inside.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Me and Zefereli were masters of the Tamiya in our day and often supplied free by Gamleys. Still make the odd kit every other year. I have a collection of WW1 bi-planes and a small millennium falcon all painted dark blue hiding on the dark blue ceiling of my summer house. I've got a Battleship Potemkin and a Sunderland flying boat, unmade and waiting for my life as a lonely old man some day in the future.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Loved the smell of the the polystyrene glue which as I found out later on in my working life, was narcotic and toxic!

I quote: health effects include changes in colour vision, tiredness, feeling drunk, slowed reaction time, concentration problems, and balance problems.

From memory I would get half way through a Spitfire or Me109 up in my bedroom, then curl up in a ball and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Made a change from Blue Peter... :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've made a Spitfire and a Lightning in the last couple of years (gave the Lightning to my dad, he used to service them in the RAF).

Bought both online, but I used to LOVE going to Beatties and perusing my next project, back in the day. Or that corner shop on West Street that was always having its windows put in. Model shops seems to have died out big time though. Anyone know any decent ones anywhere ? (Closer than Dorking).

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Haven't made any for many years but my favourite account to follow on twitter for all sorts of reasons is a chap who among other things has made some amazing scale models https://twitter.com/typejunky. Looking through his posts over time can be rewarding.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I've made a Spitfire and a Lightning in the last couple of years (gave the Lightning to my dad, he used to service them in the RAF).

Bought both online, but I used to LOVE going to Beatties and perusing my next project, back in the day. Or that corner shop on West Street that was always having its windows put in. Model shops seems to have died out big time though. Anyone know any decent ones anywhere ? (Closer than Dorking).

Gaugemaster in Arundel sell pretty much everything.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/howto/

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes I built them when young and took to them again with lockdown. The fact that I cannot run around any more with my heart condition means that they are a good pastime. Some are in a display cabinet and are taking over in number from my golf trophies. My children encourage me as they are good pressies for Xmas and Bday. Just good fun and harmless, if you can control the glue of course !!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have you visited the model shop in Dorking? Some fantastic made up models in the shop window and plenty of stock inside.

Yep Dorking Models. it's where l source a lot of my supplies. Last time l contacted them they were only open three days a week alas. Just the one guy running the business on his own now l believe.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
haven't done any kits for many years but thinking about restarting making them but lego is an easier option and more friendly to my 4 year old grandson.

I used to make a lot of 54mm kits of soldiers and or just the lead/tin/pewter ones to paint.

I kept most of my unmade kits for the day when i was less mobile but have just been selling some recently on ebay - i had so many i don't think i would make them all up...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was a fiend from age 11 to 14. Didn't fancy painting them, though. Two and six each from Mill Lane Post Office.

After not reading the instructions on my first plane, and gluing the wheels fixed, I became an instructions adherent, and will plan an IKEA build for an hour, with all parts neatly piled and labelled, before I start.

Mrs T, on the other hand thinks she knows best in these matters....:whistle::drool:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Shops - I seem to recall one on the main road out of Worthing on the left just before the schools?

In regards to soldiers me and younger brother used to do Napoleonic Wargaming with 25mm lead/tin figurines (all properly painted up of course).

Bloody expensive to buy Hinchcliffe figures unless you had access to silicone rubber and lead sheet so you could do 'bootleg' figures. Which we had... :blush:

Again seeing what I do for a living these days the exposure to lead fume (in our kitchen!) somehow didn't bother either of us.

We must have made hundreds of them before I got bored with wargaming and discovered kart racing, booze, spliffs and girls in the mid 1970's. :clap:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
[MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION] have you built that car yet?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here