Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Any oldies living in Eastbourne in the 60s?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For a couple of years there has been a bloke posting a letter trying to find a woman in Sweden:

I met Maria Nillsen, along with her friend, on a beach in Eastbourne, Sussex, England in the early 1960’s (1962ish) when I would have been 18 and she a similar age. I was on the beach with a friend and somehow managed to strike up a conversation with these beautiful young Swedish ladies with a killer line “ do you know what the time is”? It worked but Maria had to leave for her work in a guest house and not being very confident I asked her friend if she would pass on a message. If there was a positive response Maria would leave a sweater in her window and joy of joy the sweater was waiting.

And so began a most wonderful THREE months of innocence and joy. We were both working during the day but we saw each other EVERY evening during that time. We walked, we talked, we romanced and I especially remember our “Butch Cassidy” moments as I took her home sitting on the crossbar of my bike “raindrops keep falling on my head “etc....heady times...my first love which will live with me forever. We had our own private bubble, it seemed a natural place for both of us .Even now when I walk near the sea I can feel her presence and the breeze ruffling through her hair. She was my Svenska Flicka.

What went wrong ? We wrote to each other over the following months and I had an invite to visit her in Sweden but I know that I was very immature and I sense that my letter writing skills didn’t show me off in the best light. Also I had made no plans for her return, I just expected it to happen, naive or what? Maybe it was none of the above and probably I will never know, will I?

(1963 ish) She did return the following year and we arranged to meet at Eastbourne Station. That was the last time that I saw her as she told me that she was seeing someone else. I was heartbroken and just walked away without saying a word. Life went on and slowly I was able to find a” happy memories place” for our romance and was able to look at our photos with a feeling of joy for what had been.

2022. I am now 78 and time has come for a clear out of old paperwork and photos. I started looking at those photos again but this time with more than a casual glance. I now realise what an important and significant episode that had been in my life and I found myself dangerously entering the “if only, what if” world. This slowly filled my mind and I was having a strong urge to trace Maria and find out how life had turned out for her and a need to round off, what had been a wonderful relationship. Amazing that over 58 years these feelings had been tucked away and have now inexplicably flooded back into my life so energetically. The brain is a strange place and how unpredictable the past is.

If Maria or anyone who knows of her read this I would be overjoyed to have the chance to make contact and possibly exchange stories of our lives...first loves are so powerful.

I'm trying my best to help this bloke through looking in different registers etc. and asking in Swedish FB groups but struggling to have any success.

Very long shot: anyone living in Eastbourne back then and accidently running into a Swede named Maria?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
a3104bc7bd336e91d5f0cf1c8274fd18.jpg

Maria’s reply: få en livsförlorare

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
for a couple of years there has been a bloke posting a letter trying to find a woman in sweden:

i met maria nillsen, along with her friend, on a beach in eastbourne, sussex, england in the early 1960’s (1962ish) when i would have been 18 and she a similar age. I was on the beach with a friend and somehow managed to strike up a conversation with these beautiful young swedish ladies with a killer line “ do you know what the time is”? It worked but maria had to leave for her work in a guest house and not being very confident i asked her friend if she would pass on a message. If there was a positive response maria would leave a sweater in her window and joy of joy the sweater was waiting.

And so began a most wonderful three months of innocence and joy. We were both working during the day but we saw each other every evening during that time. We walked, we talked, we romanced and i especially remember our “butch cassidy” moments as i took her home sitting on the crossbar of my bike “raindrops keep falling on my head “etc....heady times...my first love which will live with me forever. We had our own private bubble, it seemed a natural place for both of us .even now when i walk near the sea i can feel her presence and the breeze ruffling through her hair. She was my svenska flicka.

What went wrong ? We wrote to each other over the following months and i had an invite to visit her in sweden but i know that i was very immature and i sense that my letter writing skills didn’t show me off in the best light. Also i had made no plans for her return, i just expected it to happen, naive or what? Maybe it was none of the above and probably i will never know, will i?

(1963 ish) she did return the following year and we arranged to meet at eastbourne station. That was the last time that i saw her as she told me that she was seeing someone else. I was heartbroken and just walked away without saying a word. Life went on and slowly i was able to find a” happy memories place” for our romance and was able to look at our photos with a feeling of joy for what had been.

2022. I am now 78 and time has come for a clear out of old paperwork and photos. I started looking at those photos again but this time with more than a casual glance. I now realise what an important and significant episode that had been in my life and i found myself dangerously entering the “if only, what if” world. This slowly filled my mind and i was having a strong urge to trace maria and find out how life had turned out for her and a need to round off, what had been a wonderful relationship. Amazing that over 58 years these feelings had been tucked away and have now inexplicably flooded back into my life so energetically. The brain is a strange place and how unpredictable the past is.

If maria or anyone who knows of her read this i would be overjoyed to have the chance to make contact and possibly exchange stories of our lives...first loves are so powerful.

i'm trying my best to help this bloke through looking in different registers etc. And asking in swedish fb groups but struggling to have any success.

Very long shot: Anyone living in eastbourne back then and accidently running into a swede named maria?

daddy !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
a3104bc7bd336e91d5f0cf1c8274fd18.jpg

Maria’s reply: få en livsförlorare

Google Translate... not doing its job.

Anyway, yeah he seems to be a bit of a loser maybe (unlike us in here who are always winning...) but I think it was romantic/cute enough to give it a go and ask around.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve just read the thread title……I would say yes there was probably lots of oldies living in Eastbourne in the 60s. :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yep, that’s my gran.
She says she’s still up for it.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
"Marian Swede is a purple top variety with paler yellow flesh and a good uniform shape. This hardy winter root vegetable has good resistance to club root and mildew. Marian stores well in a frost free shed in dry sand for use throughout the winter. Swede is a firm favourite mashed with carrots or on its own with butter melted in. Delicious!"

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
For a couple of years there has been a bloke posting a letter trying to find a woman in Sweden:

I met Maria Nillsen, along with her friend, on a beach in Eastbourne, Sussex, England in the early 1960’s (1962ish) when I would have been 18 and she a similar age. I was on the beach with a friend and somehow managed to strike up a conversation with these beautiful young Swedish ladies with a killer line “ do you know what the time is”? It worked but Maria had to leave for her work in a guest house and not being very confident I asked her friend if she would pass on a message. If there was a positive response Maria would leave a sweater in her window and joy of joy the sweater was waiting.

And so began a most wonderful THREE months of innocence and joy. We were both working during the day but we saw each other EVERY evening during that time. We walked, we talked, we romanced and I especially remember our “Butch Cassidy” moments as I took her home sitting on the crossbar of my bike “raindrops keep falling on my head “etc....heady times...my first love which will live with me forever. We had our own private bubble, it seemed a natural place for both of us .Even now when I walk near the sea I can feel her presence and the breeze ruffling through her hair. She was my Svenska Flicka.

What went wrong ? We wrote to each other over the following months and I had an invite to visit her in Sweden but I know that I was very immature and I sense that my letter writing skills didn’t show me off in the best light. Also I had made no plans for her return, I just expected it to happen, naive or what? Maybe it was none of the above and probably I will never know, will I?

(1963 ish) She did return the following year and we arranged to meet at Eastbourne Station. That was the last time that I saw her as she told me that she was seeing someone else. I was heartbroken and just walked away without saying a word. Life went on and slowly I was able to find a” happy memories place” for our romance and was able to look at our photos with a feeling of joy for what had been.

2022. I am now 78 and time has come for a clear out of old paperwork and photos. I started looking at those photos again but this time with more than a casual glance. I now realise what an important and significant episode that had been in my life and I found myself dangerously entering the “if only, what if” world. This slowly filled my mind and I was having a strong urge to trace Maria and find out how life had turned out for her and a need to round off, what had been a wonderful relationship. Amazing that over 58 years these feelings had been tucked away and have now inexplicably flooded back into my life so energetically. The brain is a strange place and how unpredictable the past is.

If Maria or anyone who knows of her read this I would be overjoyed to have the chance to make contact and possibly exchange stories of our lives...first loves are so powerful.

I'm trying my best to help this bloke through looking in different registers etc. and asking in Swedish FB groups but struggling to have any success.

Very long shot: anyone living in Eastbourne back then and accidently running into a Swede named Maria?

I can’t help you, but I think it’s incredibly kind of you to be trying to trace this lady. I wish you the best in the search. Swedish registries or a census must be the best bet, I’d imagine.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think there's a saying like your first love is the deepest or something. I don't buy into the deepest, but I'll certainly say the most intense. I was 19, she was a stunning petite blonde and... married. We spent four explosive years together and they will never be forgotten, for the good times and the bad.

I say good luck to this fella. I'd love to get every woman I've 'known' *cough* in a room (It'd have to be a community centre or something, I was a bit of a slapper) and find out what they've done with their lives.

My first love now lives in Hastings. That'll learn her. :lolol:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Isn't this what Hitta is for? I suppose she may have a different surname, but maybe you can filter. Still can't believe this is a thing in Sweden btw.

I'm curious whether the 'Svenska flicka' (lovely Swedish :lolol:) will find it cute or creepy. I'm sure her husband will be delighted too if she has one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did he do her up the arse ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Isn't this what Hitta is for? I suppose she may have a different surname, but maybe you can filter. Still can't believe this is a thing in Sweden btw.

I'm curious whether the 'Svenska flicka' (lovely Swedish :lolol:) will find it cute or creepy. I'm sure her husband will be delighted too if she has one.

On Ratsit.se it is possible to find every person in Sweden - age, where they live and so forth. But there's A LOT of Maria Nilsson around.

Phone numbers is a lot more difficult to find these days than some 10-15 years ago though.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
On Ratsit.se it is possible to find every person in Sweden - age, where they live and so forth. But there's A LOT of Maria Nilsson around.

Phone numbers is a lot more difficult to find these days than some 10-15 years ago though.

Yeah I saw he wrote Nilsen and thought that may be where he is going wrong. Ratsit and Hitta are proper scary for me. Don't think any other country has anything like it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That really explains a lot......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here