Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any new tactics for next season after watching the Euros?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why would we get slaughtered? If the whole team presses then it could work, if only a few players press then it is a waste of time. All pressing requires is a high level of athleticism and organisation.
Because it is ruddy difficult. There aren't many teams who even try to press as far up the pitch as Spain did last night. If it goes wrong you leave big holes to be exploited, or even worse, acres of space for forwards to run into behind the back four.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As said earlier, the only thing we need to do is continue to buy more technically adept players. The tactics/style will not change, it will just become more effective, and thus more attractive to watch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm getting a bit fed up with all the derision of the longball game (aka hoofball). Don't get me wrong - I like the way we play, but I do wish we did it a bit faster, a bit more incisively - and a bit further up the pitch! And no, I don't want to see defenders just hoofing the ball hopefully upfield, and I do not enjoy watching a game of head tennis.
But..............all this seems to be leading to the theory that it's bad to pass the ball too far, which is bo11ocks. Stevie G's fabulous pinpoint cross on to Andy Carroll's head was brilliant for me - but I'm sure there were people sitting there thinking, "Oh, hoofball - just lob it in for a big centre forward to chase" - and Ballotelli's goal against Germany came from a long pass out of defence, hit thirty yards in a forward direction, not across the field, or back towards the goalkeeper. What terrible football that was, eh?
Stick to the tippy tappy, yes - but still be aware that there might be a good forward thirty yard pass on the cards........and that the ball can travel from point A to point B far faster than any player in the history of the game!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What we need is a young Pirlo ! Someone who can create something out of literally nothing, he can change the game in an instant, he's sheer class, someone like him would do !

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
What we need is a young Pirlo ! Someone who can create something out of literally nothing, he can change the game in an instant, he's sheer class, someone like him would do !

Indeed, the Albion do miss a midfield general. We have done for years. I think that is how Gus saw Vicente next season. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They teach this at the kids level as "hunting in packs", so they work together in pressing and isolate the player on the ball.

It is not always necessary at the lower levels. If a player (like Dicker?) is predominately right footed he always goes the way he feels more comfortable and can be shepherded in cul-de-sacs. Left footers are usually more two footed. Vicente WAS good with both feet to avoid pressers and furthermore he was not that bad at pressing himself.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Gus's tactics were kind of an early version of Spanish football, where we keep possession. Next stage is to pass forward, like when Nav played deep and Bridders was forward.
It's about a quick passing, tempting movement on the edge of their box, pushing in and recycling back out then quickly back in.
Keeping them on the back foot whilst keeping possession.

You`ve got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line.They`ll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack.There`s only one way to beat them, get `round the back.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don't think anyone played it in Euro 2012 but I think 3 - 5 - 2 would suit us and play the ball out via the centre halves and sweeper and then pack midfield and actually play two up and not an isolated one man.

Play the full backs as wing backs and push them up with more fereedom when in attack.

Well that's my idea and to keep the ball for 90 minutes.

I used to think like this but 3-5-2 never seems to work in English football, they always end up playing 5-3-2 and still get over run in midfield (Think England in their 2-0 defeat in Croatia in 2007)

Personally I like the 4-2-3-1 formation, very hard to create against it through the middle, easier to press the opposition and you have out passes when you break the play up as well.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I used to think like this but 3-5-2 never seems to work in English football, they always end up playing 5-3-2 and still get over run in midfield (Think England in their 2-0 defeat in Croatia in 2007)

Personally I like the 4-2-3-1 formation, very hard to create against it through the middle, easier to press the opposition and you have out passes when you break the play up as well.
While I can see what you are saying it's a disciplined side that can play 3-5-2, ask the wing backs to get behind the ball in defence and push on in attack.

4-2-3-1 is still leaving a lone striker and CMS or who ever will benefit from a striking partner, playing Bridcutt between midfield an defence (or Navarro as it was) is almost like playing 5 at the back.

I do agree with other postings that teams should learn to press further up the pitch like Spain, West Ham and Palace did it against us at The Amex and stopped us from playing.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
While I can see what you are saying it's a disciplined side that can play 3-5-2, ask the wing backs to get behind the ball in defence and push on in attack.

4-2-3-1 is still leaving a lone striker and CMS or who ever will benefit from a striking partner, playing Bridcutt between midfield an defence (or Navarro as it was) is almost like playing 5 at the back.

I do agree with other postings that teams should learn to press further up the pitch like Spain, West Ham and Palace did it against us at The Amex and stopped us from playing.

If you want to be genuine passing team you need bodies in the middle of the park. It doesn't have to be ridged, it can drift into 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-3 when attacking.

D

Deleted member 18477

Have a tight defence. Spain conceded 1 goal in 7 games. 1 goal!!!

And then pass, pass, pass and shoot! Easier said than done but if Arsenal had a good defence they really could be the premier leagues Barca/Spain... And us? Well the championships :)!

It's not rocket science but only the best can actually do it on the pitch under pressure. Possession IS key. When you've got the ball you can re-group and re-energise whilst you run your opponents ragged! That's why when Spain lose the ball they are so quick to get it back because they hunt in packs and don't use up a load of energy chasing the ball for 90 mins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Spain press high up and flood the opposition half, their 2 centre halves stay just inside the halway line, the FB's push to the wings and the rest flood the midfield. This means there's an easy 5 -10 yard pass in most directions and if they lose the ball the opposition have very little options for an out ball, it also makes it easier for Spain to close down quickly in numbers thus re gaining possession.

You need to match the Spanish work rate if you're going to compete, and press high and fast, Portugal did a good job of this in the first half of their Semi.

England however who just dropped into a flat 4 zonal defense would have gotten murdered by the Spanish. I doubt we would have had 20% possession playing like that and letting Spanish players have time to turn and face us.

I shudder just thinking about it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think we should try shooting at the opponents goal. In the Euro`s I noticed that most goals came as a result of this.

You`ve got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line.They`ll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack.There`s only one way to beat them, get `round the back.

I don`t know what was so unusual about Spain playing without a striker. We did it all last season.

Awesome work :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

Ramos for me was the best player in Euro 2012 by a long chalk. He used to play RB for Spain as Puyol was first choice for Spain.

Now we have got a second Spanish tier right back, I just want Vicente to return really. I would pick Vicente over Gerrard! That's Stephen Gerrard, not Gerard Puyol.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I would suspect that Poyet has a plan A that he knows if executed correctly will offer good possession and goal chances, if plan A is failing I bet his plan B is for the players to execute his plan A correctly.

Exactly this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here