Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any mushroom hunters on here ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Following the recent spell of rain we had last week and the weekend, I went to a favourite spot I know for Parasols and Shaggy Parasols on the way home from work this afternoon and hit the jackpot :yahoo: Must have picked a good 15 or so small to medium size shaggies and a few ordinary parasols too. Lovely addition to the family meal tonight.

Seems to be a late year this year though as it was so dry during September. I'd be interested to know of any mushroom finds anyone on here has had.

Here's hoping for a bumper crops of Blewits throughout November.

P.S. Be nice if someone could post some mushroom pics on here ( partciularly of parasols ) as I can't seem to post pics.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3186804 said:
Erm, is this legal?

Er. I should like to inform the police that this was before they were banned. I thank you.

Oh and if you want to batter down my door. Could you do it at a reasonable hour.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mushrooms are great in mcdonalds burgers

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3186827 said:
I thought it was legal to pick them but they become a controlled substance if you cultivate/prepare them. As it were.

I thihk its legal to have the spores but not legal to cultivate them. Before the recent clamp down. It was legal to buy and eat them in their raw state but not legal to dry them out. Barmy or what.

and no I don't cultivate them

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
1066 have you ever eaten that mad fungi that grows on trees? Its name has something to do with chicken? Also is it true theres a mushroom that when consumed, it takes a week to kill you?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1066 have you ever eaten that mad fungi that grows on trees? Its name has something to do with chicken? Also is it true theres a mushroom that when consumed, it takes a week to kill you?

Not sure I should answer this as you've addressed me as plain 1066 and that can lead to confusion on here :wink:

Anyway, I will. Chicken in the woods is the bracket fungus that looks a bit like builders foam growing out of tree trunks. Also called sulphur polypore but don't know the latin off the top of my head. I haven't got around to trying it yet, no. The only bracket fungus I've tried apart from delicious oyster mushrooms is beefstake fungus, and that was nothing to write home about.

The one that "takes a week to kill you" is probably destroying angel. Looks beautiful, just like porcelain, but just eating a tiny amount is enough to shut your internal organs down one by one until you die. As you say, this process takes about a week, and the cruel thing is that after the initial vomiting you then seemingly recover before things start to get nasty as described above.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not sure I should answer this as you've addressed me as plain 1066 and that can lead to confusion on here :wink:

Anyway, I will. Chicken in the woods is the bracket fungus that looks a bit like builders foam growing out of tree trunks. Also called sulphur polypore but don't know the latin off the top of my head. I haven't got around to trying it yet, no. The only bracket fungus I've tried apart from delicious oyster mushrooms is beefstake fungus, and that was nothing to write home about.

The one that "takes a week to kill you" is probably destroying angel. Looks beautiful, just like porcelain, but just eating a tiny amount is enough to shut your internal organs down one by one until you die. As you say, this process takes about a week, and the cruel thing is that after the initial vomiting you then seemingly recover before things start to get nasty as described above.

Amazing. Thank you 1066familyguy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think you're thinking of the "death cap". You feel fine for a couple of days, then horrendously ill, then better for a couple of days, then dead.

The boletes are looking good this year.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Went through a place called "Bessels Green" the other day whilst driving through Kent, the village green was absolutely covered in Fly Agaric 9Aminata Muscarina) mushrooms (they're the ones that are always depicted in fairy stories), bright red cap with white spots...Anyway, they are properly head mental, the Finns used to get off their nut on them then the rest of the village would drink their piss as the psychoactive element is still present in that!

Its also the shroom that the Lapps use to control their reindeer.

A common effect is a sensation of astral flying, literally a journey to the other side where ancestors and nature spirits are encountered so it was a big favourite with the shamans.

I just hope the good folk of bessels green don't decide to sample them, imagine if the people of North Kent realised that there is no death and we are all just aspects of god experiencing himself subjectively..that would be awful.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Went through a place called "Bessels Green" the other day whilst driving through Kent, the village green was absolutely covered in Fly Agaric 9Aminata Muscarina) mushrooms (they're the ones that are always depicted in fairy stories), bright red cap with white spots...Anyway, they are properly head mental, the Finns used to get off their nut on them then the rest of the village would drink their piss as the psychoactive element is still present in that!

Its also the shroom that the Lapps use to control their reindeer.

A common effect is a sensation of astral flying, literally a journey to the other side where ancestors and nature spirits are encountered so it was a big favourite with the shamans.

I just hope the good folk of bessels green don't decide to sample them, imagine if the people of North Kent realised that there is no death and we are all just aspects of god experiencing himself subjectively..that would be awful.

:lol:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Anyway, I will. Chicken in the woods is the bracket fungus that looks a bit like builders foam growing out of tree trunks. Also called sulphur polypore but don't know the latin off the top of my head. I haven't got around to trying it yet, no.

Found one of those last week and took it home with a few to eating it. However an army of little jumping maggots came out of it, which was a bit off-putting.

I can attest to the LACK of delight at Wood-ear fungus - which is the mushroom that grows off a tree trunk, and can get about 10 or 12 inches across. It starts out quite soft and can be edible - but it absorbs the toxins from the wood of the tree. Once it has been on the host for a short while, it becomes VERY tough and leathery, almost impossible to cut, and whilst spongy it is also chewy and poor tasting.

The slightly slimey-feeling Woodland wild mushroom is top notch, and can be found around this time of year in lush fields or on hillsides. It's tender and delicious tasting, and supermarket caps pale to insignificance once you try it.

NEVER consume toadstools, or mushrooms you cannot identify. The colourful top ones, and speckled varieties are almost always poisonous.

The dark skinny-stalked wet mushrooms that grow in shaded areas in woods have a slight poison that will get you well mashed. Them is magic, and was put there by faeries

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love shrooms, especially the wonderful wild ones that grow in the UK. Sadly though I have to rely on buying them in suitable farm shops etc as I am colour blind and therefore tottally ill equiped to go hunting for them myself. I got a book for xmus a couple of yeurs back, fascinating reading, but again, it refers to colour so much, it would be suicidal of me to go picking and then cook them. I should try and convince Superwife to accompany me, but that might be a little too emasculating.

I think you're thinking of the "death cap". You feel fine for a couple of days, then horrendously ill, then better for a couple of days, then dead.

The boletes are looking good this year.

You walked right past me outside Burger King in North Street Saturday night.

This was seconds after my mate got us thrown out for asking for a "Chicken Royale and some f***ing DIDDY DOUGHNUTS" :lol:

Sorry. Carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here