Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any Gardeners out there able to help me identify this tree.

D

Deleted member 2719

It is without doubt a flowering Cherry (Prunus) as others have already rightly posted.
There is a dwarf Cherry I could highly recommend - Prunus Kursar.
https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/prunus-kursar-tree-p209
My friend has one in her garden and it is a lovely small tree, currently in full flower and has the wonderful autumn colour later.

This.

How many people get sucked in when viewing trees or plants in their infancy, to find out year's down the line, they planted it in the wrong place, too close too a fence, hedge or shed.

I would always say unless you have half an acre forget adult trees, go dwarf all the way.
Check and double check what your buying.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It is without doubt a flowering Cherry (Prunus) as others have already rightly posted.
There is a dwarf Cherry I could highly recommend - Prunus Kursar.
https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/prunus-kursar-tree-p209
My friend has one in her garden and it is a lovely small tree, currently in full flower and has the wonderful autumn colour later.

Just been looking at this tree and the leaves look a little different?

CherryTree.JPG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
After everyone's help in identifying my cherry tree and trying to find the most striking small, autumn tree i have decided to go for the 'Japanese Maple ‘Osakazuki’'

Acer.JPG

There is room for one more tree so will go for the Cherry Tree at the other end of the garden.

Thanks NSC

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Take a photo to the arboretum at Brinsbury College, always very helpful and they'll sell you a dwarf one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After everyone's help in identifying my cherry tree and trying to find the most striking small, autumn tree i have decided to go for the 'Japanese Maple ‘Osakazuki’'

View attachment 145868

There is room for one more tree so will go for the Cherry Tree at the other end of the garden.

Thanks NSC

Good choice, here's my Acer from the gardening thread last year

That acer was a bargain buy in the winter at a garden centre with no label and no leaf about 10 years ago, at about 3ft tall. Grew it in a pot for 5 years, planted out about 5 years ago, now about 7ft. Here's pics
View attachment 123032

What do you think ?

It's at it's best a bit later in the year

View attachment 123034

I suspect it's Acer palmatum dissectum but beyond that :shrug:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 145868

Thanks NSC
That Acer is a wonderful tree. If you can, plant it in dappled shade or at least out of full sun. This variety can roast up if you're not careful, and keep it well watered for at least the first two years.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Acers suffer a bit with wind burn as well. But, in dappled shade, protected from desiccating winds and well watered in free draining soil rich in a woodland mix, they have a fantastic range of colours:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here