Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Congratulations to NEWCASTLE UNITED thread?

CRTB

May 7, 2017
Your message would have more effect if you were to post it on there message board. I agree with your sentiment though

Well it's reached us. :)

Now I am gutted at anyone we let the Championship trophy slip from our grasp but I would like to congratulate Newcastle United in winning the League. We ran them close and could have won it but couldn't hold on for a couple of minutes. But history will show that the Magpies beat The Seagulls home and away, had more points, more goals, in front of bigger crowds. We done so well at competing with them on a smaller budget, a squad with less depth and less "star" names. Proud to be a Brighton fan and after a gut wrenching end to the season have settled down to admire WHAT our club has achieved.

Well done Newcastle you achieved what most people predicted, but boy we ran you close, much closer than we ever imagined.:ascarf:

Ssssssseeeeeeaaaagggggguuuuuulllllllllllsssss

Firstly, thanks. I know you're all hurting now, so to take the time to congratulate us says a lot about you and that it's not been shot down by the rest of the board says a lot about your fellow supporters.

I'm a lone voice, of course, but I know I speak for many Newcastle fans when I say we've been wishing you well all season, at least in part because we've all got a lot of time for Chris Hughton. As well as being a very good manager, he's a classy and dignified man and it's great to see him do well. If Villa had not pegged you back at the death today, seeing him and yourselves lift the trophy would have been an acceptable second best and we're all pleased that it's you joining us in the Premier League - Hughton aside, you've deserved it for how you've played.

So well done on getting promoted and good luck for next year, I know it's going to be tough but you've got an excellent manager, and I'll be wishing you well for 36 of your games next season.

No problem congratulating the Geordies. If you beat your closest rivals that season home and away you probably deserve it. I think Rafa left a few points on the table rotating his bigger squad and that allowed us to get close (but no cigar). We can both laugh at Norwich and Derby who should have made it a 4-way competition

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I congratulate Newcastle on being a professional outfit and sticking with it till the end.
It shows what belief they have and the managerial skills of Rafa Benitez.
No slight on Chris, he is doping a good job, but I really wish that he had the same level of commitment from his players as Rafa has.
Me personally, I would have let the fans have their pitch celebration after the Wigan game but enforced an alcohol ban till the end of the season for all the playing staff.
Might have had more to celebrate then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Me personally, I would have... enforced an alcohol ban till the end of the season for all the playing staff.

Enforced? How? After Wigan, the club had already achieved the "minimum acceptable" and "realistically achievable" goals set out at the start of the season. All that was left was the "dream" goal. It's not realistic nor, imo, reasonable to say that the players couldn't celebrate the achievements at that point. The reasonable approach would have been to have said "well done! Go and celebrate, but don't overdo it - we've got got one achievement yet to tick off", which is what I would lay good money to say that was said.

Re Newcastle: comparing their fans behaviour on here with that of Boro fans last season (including those posts that never made it as far as the BB), I've formed the view that they're a classy bunch - mostly, they've stayed off NSC entirely - those that haven't have been congratulatory, conciliatory, & classy.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Enforced? How? After Wigan, the club had already achieved the "minimum acceptable" and "realistically achievable" goals set out at the start of the season. All that was left was the "dream" goal. It's not realistic nor, imo, reasonable to say that the players couldn't celebrate the achievements at that point. The reasonable approach would have been to have said "well done! Go and celebrate, but don't overdo it - we've got got one achievement yet to tick off", which is what I would lay good money to say that was said.

Re Newcastle: comparing their fans behaviour on here with that of Boro fans last season (including those posts that never made it as far as the BB), I've formed the view that they're a classy bunch - mostly, they've stayed off NSC entirely - those that haven't have been congratulatory, conciliatory, & classy.

The season finished yesterday, not after the Wigan game and everything that was achievable this season should have been fought for till the very end, including the title.
Newcastle just wanted it more, whilst we just thought it would be a nice idea to have it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The season finished yesterday, not after the Wigan game and everything that was achievable this season should have been fought for till the very end, including the title.
Newcastle just wanted it more, whilst we just thought it would be a nice idea to have it.

I agree entirely that there was still much to play for after the Wigan game.

But you haven't answered my question. In your earlier post, you said that you would have enforced an alcohol ban. I was wondering how you would have achieved a ban...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I agree entirely that there was still much to play for after the Wigan game.

But you haven't answered my question. In your earlier post, you said that you would have enforced an alcohol ban. I was wondering how you would have achieved a ban...

Fining anyone who breached it and giving squad a breath test before training daily, just informing them that this could happen may have helped.
Alcohol abstention should be written into their contracts, to least for the duration of the season.
Many professional sports clubs have something like this in place already.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Fining anyone who breached it and giving squad a breath test before training daily, just informing them that this could happen may have helped.
Alcohol abstention should be written into their contracts, to least for the duration of the season.
Many professional sports clubs have something like this in place already.

I think that you raise an interesting point about putting alcohol abstention into players contracts. Without it, compulsory breath tests would be unenforceable under UK employment law. I have no idea how many players would sign such a contract; I guess it would depend on how prevalent such a clause is in pro football.

Out of interest, would you also include a clause prohibiting adultery?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think that you raise an interesting point about putting alcohol abstention into players contracts. Without it, compulsory breath tests would be unenforceable under UK employment law. I have no idea how many players would sign such a contract; I guess it would depend on how prevalent such a clause is in pro football.

Out of interest, would you also include a clause prohibiting adultery?

To get the wages they do they would sign it, as far as the adultery is concerned, I would have thought that an 'acceptable behaviour, representing the club' thing would already be there.
We won't have heard the last about Duffers, wait and see.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
To get the wages they do they would sign.

Maybe not if we were the only club with such a clause - they'd just go elsewhere.

Far more sensible is a 48 hour rule - i.e. no alcohol 48 hours prior to any match or training session - which I would expect most pros to self-adhere to anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes really, 7 points clear one win required from the 3 remaining fixtures and we bottled it against Bristol City.

Depends on your definition of 'bottle it' and Bristol City identity all three ..and if you watched yesterday then you'll know it doesn't apply

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Congratulations to them . The important thing is when the fixtures come out BHA will be in the Premier League as well .

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Depends on your definition of 'bottle it' and Bristol City identity all three ..and if you watched yesterday then you'll know it doesn't apply

We were 7 points clear going into the last 3 games one win would have secured the title Norwich away a tad unlucky maybe with the 2 OG's.

Bristol City at home was a must win game to secure the title and we bottled it a dire lack lustre performance from the lads last weekend cost us the title.

And yes I did watch yesterday I was there not a great performance if I'm being honest we could have been at least 0-2 down at HT, a lot better 2nd half to be fair to take the lead.

And then for periods after we had scored and Villa were down to 10 men our ball retention was awful,

any other time a draw at Villa would have been a good point so the Bristol City at home was the game we bottled IMO.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We were 7 points clear going into the last 3 games one win would have secured the title Norwich away a tad unlucky maybe with the 2 OG's.

Bristol City at home was a must win game to secure the title and we bottled it a dire lack lustre performance from the lads last weekend cost us the title.

And yes I did watch yesterday I was there not a great performance if I'm being honest we could have been at least 0-2 down at HT, a lot better 2nd half to be fair to take the lead.

And then for periods after we had scored and Villa were down to 10 men our ball retention was awful,

any other time a draw at Villa would have been a good point so the Bristol City at home was the game we bottled IMO.

Yes Bristol City game was the one

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep, I'll congratulate NUFC. Well played lads. I hope you get rid of that Ashley clown soon - just don't end up with a Venkys. Good luck next season. I'll want the points off them then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here