Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any carpet fitters out there?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Before anyone just answers Yes, I know there are! As there's no footie, Internationals don't count, I thought I'd seek a solution from the NSC hive mind. We have a newish stair carpet, about 4 years, and the spikes in the gripper rods are wrecking Mrs Earle's shoes, slippers, toes and heels. Tried banging them down with a hammer (not her toes, obvs), but made little difference. Do I need to take up the carpet/ buy a new one and start again or is there a professional knack to solving the problem?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not a carpet filter but done up a fair few houses and seen plenty work. The ones I've seen work have always put the grippers at the back of the tread and top of the riser where your feet don't go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Before anyone just answers Yes, I know there are! As there's no footie, Internationals don't count, I thought I'd seek a solution from the NSC hive mind. We have a newish stair carpet, about 4 years, and the spikes in the gripper rods are wrecking Mrs Earle's shoes, slippers, toes and heels. Tried banging them down with a hammer (not her toes, obvs), but made little difference. Do I need to take up the carpet/ buy a new one and start again or is there a professional knack to solving the problem?

steel toecaps boots for your wife?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Calling [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION]

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ok below is how they should look, if you take the carpet up, the pins should be on the step facing the riser, on the riser angled towards the tread. The gap should be approximately a thumbs width from the riser and tread.

The pins on the gripper are there to hold the carpet in place and banged in with a bolster, you should not feel the pins, full stop. If you do feel the pins one of two things

1: The carpet is thin and dare I say poor quality (i am sure this is not the case)
2: The pins are too long and wrong gripper installed, you can get long pin gripper for industrial carpets or extra thick saxony carpets.

You can get a bolster and either run the bolster along the top of the pins and carpet and push them down, or lay the bolster flat over the pins/carpet and hammer them flat gently, this will/should not damage the carpet.

hope that helps, feel free to pm me and send photo, if an issue.

Attachments

• v4-460px-Carpet-Stairs-Step-12-Version-2.jpg
    v4-460px-Carpet-Stairs-Step-12-Version-2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 124

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ok below is how they should look, if you take the carpet up, the pins should be on the step facing the riser, on the riser angled towards the tread. The gap should be approximately a thumbs width from the riser and tread.

The pins on the gripper are there to hold the carpet in place and banged in with a bolster, you should not feel the pins, full stop. If you do feel the pins one of two things

1: The carpet is thin and dare I say poor quality (i am sure this is not the case)
2: The pins are too long and wrong gripper installed, you can get long pin gripper for industrial carpets or extra thick saxony carpets.

You can get a bolster and either run the bolster along the top of the pins and carpet and push them down, or lay the bolster flat over the pins/carpet and hammer them flat gently, this will/should not damage the carpet.

Or someone has put the gripper down with the pins facing out, or too far away from the riser, or his missus has massive feet and is kicking the riser as she climbs the stairs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thank you. I won't be lifting the carpet to see underneath, but I'll have a grope around first and see what it feels like and where they are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank you. I won't be lifting the carpet to see underneath, but I'll have a grope around first and see what it feels like and where they are.

I’m now starting to wonder if this thread is one big double-entendres?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020

Carpet gripper is a vicious b'stard,
Maybe get something soft like a potato and rub it across the crevice and it'll show outstanding pins , due to poor manufacturing standards some stick out further than others ..
Physchobilly freakout's technique is good as well.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thanks for your helpful reply and picture. Gave me the confidence and understanding to have a good go at it and once I found all the spikey little beggars, I've battered them out of sight and hopefully problem solved. They don't go away easily though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here