Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ansu Fati **Signed On Loan 01/09**

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I remember it correctly, Fati was the only one without a pair of slippers in that picture. Maybe he’s still pissed of because RDZ didn’t give him a pair?
Well there you go, as the saying goes: beware greeks bearing gifts and Italians not giving you slippers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pedro has a 5 year contract which we amortise- so he's effectively 6-7m a year for his fee and then we pay his wages above that. (probably 3-4m a year) . So he's - i guess - about 10m a year in total. And of course he's our asset so we could sell him on...
Baleba was 25m - so he's cost about 7 or 8m this year too.
Likewise for Igor, Estupinan and so on but slightly lower.
In hindsight its not worked out - i think thats the consensus , and tbf - he had started to look good when he was injured and then out for months - and 7m is still a lot of money but the £7m cost - compared to other recent purchases - is not as eye watering as it seems.
It's still £7M pretty much wasted as it stands - not eye-watering? Maybe not in PL La-la-land economics - but he'll have to go like a f***ing rocket in the next eight matches to have any chance of making the loan a worthwhile investment!

........................... and if RDZ decides he's not fit enough to play, the loan will go down as a major flop.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's still £7M pretty much wasted as it stands - not eye-watering? Maybe not in PL La-la-land economics - but he'll have to go like a f***ing rocket in the next eight matches to have any chance of making the loan a worthwhile investment!

........................... and if RDZ decides he's not fit enough to play, the loan will go down as a major flop.
Agreed with all of that - and I was clear that “7m is a lot of money” - but that’s what we pay - per year at least for several others in the squad.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have felt similar. As much as I love RDZ there is a pattern of players falling out with him. Agreed Trossard And Sanchez’s behaviour didn’t help matters but different people respond in different ways e.g. Dahoud. Remains to be seen what will come of the alleged Barco and Fati ding-dongs.
Me too. I'm not sure that Barco and Fati are in the same boat, but I don't suppose Adam Webster is too chuffed with life at the moment - Nowhere near the first team squad for ages - and I don't think he's injured, is he?
Trossard and Sanchez behaviour needed stamping on as undermines the manager so can see why RDZ came down on both of them. Dahoud has recently fallen out with the Syrian FA over his agents demands when he attended the national team camp so not just here he has had issues.
Agreed that a manager needs to be in control, be the 'top dog' and all that, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of the way Sanchez dealt with the situation he ultimately found himself in, there can be no denying that de Zerbi pissed him off right royally in the first place!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fati not coming back next season.

Despite the reports that others are interested in him, I doubt Barca will be able to convince anyone to pay all those wages. Frustrating, as there were a few glimpses of a good player in there, although not one that should command that salary at that age. What’s he on? About £130k a week if the £7m reports are true. That’s pretty scandalous for a light weight player.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Me too. I'm not sure that Barco and Fati are in the same boat, but I don't suppose Adam Webster is too chuffed with life at the moment - Nowhere near the first team squad for ages - and I don't think he's injured, is he?

Agreed that a manager needs to be in control, be the 'top dog' and all that, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of the way Sanchez dealt with the situation he ultimately found himself in, there can be no denying that de Zerbi pissed him off right royally in the first place!
I believe Adam Webster IS injured - that’s given as the reason he and Fergie are unavailable currently

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You win some, lose some. Locadia cost us circa £27.4m, Jahanbakhsh more than that. Galling to see, but we have far more successes. No certainties, even for the Albion.

How did he piss him off? He selected another player who got us to 6th in the league. Why was Sanchez guaranteed his spot come what may? Poch seems to have come to a similar view after a look at Sanchez. Is he pissing Sanchez off or just doing his job as a manager

De Zerbi said: “Our responsibility is to help him to improve his performances, to improve his physical condition, to improve his mentality, because to play in the Premier League to have to be stronger in mentality, stronger in physicality and then we are ready to play with him in the first XI. When he shows us the right condition, I would be happy.”

Barco lost 3 physical duels in the space of about a minute at the end of the Liverpool match. I was hoping he’d get more game time given our sad lack of options out wide but there clearly is two sides to this issue

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How did he piss him off? He selected another player who got us to 6th in the league. Why was Sanchez guaranteed his spot come what may? Poch seems to have come to a similar view after a look at Sanchez. Is he pissing Sanchez off or just doing his job as a manager
If you can't (or don't want to) see that Sanchez was well and truly pissed off, I can't help you.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Yes, I've since read about Webster being injured. Never any suggestion abut de Zerbi falling out with Evan though.
There was a rumour doing the rounds at Palace away that Evan had been caught drinking on a day when he shouldn’t have been. I’d stress it was fan talk and I hope it was bollocks. He doesn’t look fit to me and hasn’t all season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Webster has made the last 10 PL squads, playing in 4 matches, before he missed Brentford. I’m sure I read something that he’s injured from the press conference and will miss today too but can’t find it now.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Webster has made the last 10 PL squads, playing in 4 matches, before he missed Brentford. I’m sure I read something that he’s injured from the press conference and will miss today too but can’t find it now.
Injured from the press conference - did he trip over a reporters outstretched leg ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Pretty sure Webster has been injured or in recovery for most of the season. Still injured now. His value when fit is no more than adequate squad player and I'm sure he knows it. But without full fitness, it's surely best he stays put, works on his fitness and takes a chance if he gets it. Free transfer to Duffy and Barnes territory at the end of his contract. We won't miss what we haven't had this season.

Fati seems to have reached a point of thanks Brighton for a year of paid rehab, but I won't be risking injury now till I return to Barcelona. Barco is physically a waif. Needs a chat with Buananotte and Enciso to understand that he will need to build himself up a bit to play regularly in the Prem. Mac Allister is, of course, the best example of the returns available if he puts in the work to match his talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here