Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another UKIP loon - mainstream party voters should be hung for treason

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Same here, I would also be happy to divert my vote if they listened. There are millions of us like this. Voting UKIP as a protest vote to send a message.

I refer you to Stewart Lee. Have a nice night's sleep.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Doesn't bother me what the papers or media say about UKIP as they're still getting our vote on Thursday.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
O dear a couple of years ago ukip would'nt even be discussed now your all soiling your'e pants over them ,come a long way haven't they

They have, yes, but that is why they must come under more scrutiny.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
O dear a couple of years ago ukip would'nt even be discussed now your all soiling your'e pants over them ,come a long way haven't they

Evidently not far enough to teach their supporters how to use the native language of the country they claim to defend.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Same here, I would also be happy to divert my vote if they listened. There are millions of us like this. Voting UKIP as a protest vote to send a message.

Back in the day people used their protest vote to vote for harmless parties like the MRLP. What has happened in our society that people now turn to a racist, xenophobic, homophobic and sexist party?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't think I've ever seen someone so obsessed with a political party as you. For someone so anti-UKIP you certainly pay them a lot of attention ( and give them a lot of attention on here ).
I seem to recall someone making a fair number of posts regarding the Greens...:thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, I agree, just getting voted in doesn't make any party necessarily worthy. Not sure I agree with you about attendance though - UKIP's average is 70% ( hardly rarely ) and the Tories 79% - not a whole much more.

Regardless, I'll happily divert my vote back to the main parties when they actually bother to listen.

Actually UKIP have the worst attendance record in the European Parliament.

Paul Nuttall :

I’ll hold my hands up, as my attendance record is flaky to say the least. But so what? I treat Brussels with the contempt it deserves: it has no real democratic mandate and MEPs only exist as a pretence to make the EU look democratic, when in fact we all know it is not.

End of quote.

From The Telegraph:

British MEPs have worst European Parliament attendance record

British MEPs have the worst attendance record in the European Parliament, according to a survey.

The 72-strong UK delegation attended an average 85 per cent of key voting sessions in the 12 months, the lowest of the 27 national delegations and below France, whose MEPs had an 88 per cent attendance record, and Germany, who MEPs has a 91 per cent attendance.

The data, compiled by VoteWatch, an independent website, is based on average attendance at the 12 annual "plenary" sessions when MEPs vote on draft EU legislation.

British MEPs' attendance actually averaged 90 per cent in the six months to December 31 2009 but this fell to 81 per cent in the second half of the current legislature when many MEPs spent more time in their constituencies for the General Election.

VoteWatch say elections in other countries, including Hungary and Greece, saw a similar fall in attendance for their MEPs but, even so, the UK average was down on the previous five-year parliamentary term.

The survey shows that six British MEPs managed an average of 98 per cent, these were Conservatives Giles Chichester, Malcolm Harbour, James Nicholson and Charles Tannock plus Liberal Democrats Baroness Sarah Ludford and Bill Newton Dunn.

The three British MEPs with the worst attendance record are the Ukip MEPs David Campbell Bannerman, Paul Nuttall and Godfrey Bloom, each averaging under 63 per cent.

Italian MEPs tripled their rate but still have the third worst attendance record.

Nigel Farage, the Ukip MEP said, "Any similarity to democracy in the European Parliament is purely accidental. Ukip MEPs spend more time helping constituents whose lives and livelihoods have been ruined by EU legislation.

"While we are always present for crucial votes, Britain has normally already been sold down the river by the British government long before the parliament votes on what is a foregone conclusion."

A Conservative Party spokesman said: "The three main parties average out in the mid to high 80-plus percentage whilst Ukip only manage 78 per cent. If you just took the three main parties' attendance, the UK would be in the middle of the table."

Stephen Booth, of the Open Europe think tank, said: "British MEPs are paid an awful lot of money to defend the interests of UK voters in Europe but it's pretty difficult to do that if they don't turn up to vote. Helping to fight the general election campaign is all very well but MEPs' first duty is to make sure that EU laws coming out of the European Parliament are good for the UK."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...EPs-have-worst-European-Parliament-attendance

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Doesn't bother me what the papers or media say about UKIP as they're still getting our vote on Thursday.

What about all the stuff they post on social media or do you conveniently sweep that under the carpet to justify voting for them?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Actually UKIP have the worst attendance record in the European Parliament.

Paul Nuttall :

I’ll hold my hands up, as my attendance record is flaky to say the least. But so what? I treat Brussels with the contempt it deserves: it has no real democratic mandate and MEPs only exist as a pretence to make the EU look democratic, when in fact we all know it is not.

End of quote.

From The Telegraph:

British MEPs have worst European Parliament attendance record

British MEPs have the worst attendance record in the European Parliament, according to a survey.

The 72-strong UK delegation attended an average 85 per cent of key voting sessions in the 12 months, the lowest of the 27 national delegations and below France, whose MEPs had an 88 per cent attendance record, and Germany, who MEPs has a 91 per cent attendance.

The data, compiled by VoteWatch, an independent website, is based on average attendance at the 12 annual "plenary" sessions when MEPs vote on draft EU legislation.

British MEPs' attendance actually averaged 90 per cent in the six months to December 31 2009 but this fell to 81 per cent in the second half of the current legislature when many MEPs spent more time in their constituencies for the General Election.

VoteWatch say elections in other countries, including Hungary and Greece, saw a similar fall in attendance for their MEPs but, even so, the UK average was down on the previous five-year parliamentary term.

The survey shows that six British MEPs managed an average of 98 per cent, these were Conservatives Giles Chichester, Malcolm Harbour, James Nicholson and Charles Tannock plus Liberal Democrats Baroness Sarah Ludford and Bill Newton Dunn.

The three British MEPs with the worst attendance record are the Ukip MEPs David Campbell Bannerman, Paul Nuttall and Godfrey Bloom, each averaging under 63 per cent.

Italian MEPs tripled their rate but still have the third worst attendance record.

Nigel Farage, the Ukip MEP said, "Any similarity to democracy in the European Parliament is purely accidental. Ukip MEPs spend more time helping constituents whose lives and livelihoods have been ruined by EU legislation.

"While we are always present for crucial votes, Britain has normally already been sold down the river by the British government long before the parliament votes on what is a foregone conclusion."

A Conservative Party spokesman said: "The three main parties average out in the mid to high 80-plus percentage whilst Ukip only manage 78 per cent. If you just took the three main parties' attendance, the UK would be in the middle of the table."

Stephen Booth, of the Open Europe think tank, said: "British MEPs are paid an awful lot of money to defend the interests of UK voters in Europe but it's pretty difficult to do that if they don't turn up to vote. Helping to fight the general election campaign is all very well but MEPs' first duty is to make sure that EU laws coming out of the European Parliament are good for the UK."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...EPs-have-worst-European-Parliament-attendance

I'm not sure where the Telegraph got those figures from then as when I went on the EU site this week the UK were sixth worse for turning up. I also found MEPs with less than 40% attendance who weren't UKIP ( one being a Tory ).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Back in the day people used their protest vote to vote for harmless parties like the MRLP. What has happened in our society that people now turn to a racist, xenophobic, homophobic and sexist party?

You are right. Basically the people that vote UKIP are bigots with no interest in real politics. I bet hardly any of them had heard of UKIP 2 years ago. Suddenly this group comes along that expresses views they know are bigoted and they could not get away with saying in their own lives, as soon as they heard they wanted out of the EU these people thought "Ah that legitimises it" and that is why people vote for them. Because they are bigoted and this kind of bigotry hasn't been as permissible since the days of Enoch Powell. Racists cannot believe their luck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Getting voted in doesn't make you a worthy party and believe me if you think the taxpayers interests are going to be at the fore if you gain more seats in the EP. The existing UKIP MEP's happily admit they rarely, very rarely turn up so if you lot get to be the biggest UK party in the EP it will essentially make the UK look like an apathetic laughing stock as UKIP MEP's follow the UKIP party's policy of deliberately not turning up to Parliament to demonstrate some sort of pathetic objection to the EU. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

you sound like you are disagreeing with the notion of democracy: if some group whose view you dont agree with are voted in, you are going to be condescending to that party and theirvoters point of view. interesting.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I am totally lost as to why anyone would vote in a European election for a UKIP candidate. ???

If they win a seat in the European Parliament they won't partake in any of the debates, they won't negotiate on behalf of nor support any of their constituents who may be in dispute with any of the European institutions - all they will do is accept the salary paid by that institution together with all expenses available. They'll probably promise to disclose details of all the expenses they have claimed, (as Nigel Farage did), but then remain silent.

Whether you are a supporter of 'Europe' or an opponent it strikes me that it would make far more sense to vote for a candidate that not only agrees with your views but is also willing to argue those views and where necessary vote appropriately on proposed legislation.

Voting for a UKIP candidate is voting for an empty seat in the European Parliament.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The irony with your argument is of course is that shtting down the borders is what 68% of the population actually want.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/12/17/perilous-politics-immigration/

UKIP's policy would be to place restrictions on the borders similar to those that exist in other sucessful western liberal economies like, Canada, US and Australia.

Its little wonder that the mainstream parties have to play the man and not the ball....................

Firstly, that's not ironic, but you are missing the point. What people WANT is to have the chance to better themselves, what we're force fed by the mainstream and right wing media is that immigration is to blame for, well, everything. Therefore people draw the conclusion that, as per the poll you linked, immigration has been a bad thing. That's very different from 'wanting' the borders shut down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Urban myth according to QI - the Agincourt story only became popular recently (in the last 30 years or so) apparently. An archer in the days of Agincourt would need 3 fingers to pull a longbow string, not 2 (they had a draw weight of 100lbs). There were suggestions by the English that captured archers may be mutilated by the French by chopping off 3 fingers, not 2. I rather like the Agincourt story myself!

I don't know why that has only become 'popular' in the last 30 years, as it was common knowledge over 60 years ago.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
you sound like you are disagreeing with the notion of democracy: if some group whose view you dont agree with are voted in, you are going to be condescending to that party and theirvoters point of view. interesting.

How on earth do you get that I don't like democracy from that? Yes, of course I will be condescending to the nitwits that vote UKIP and the UKIP MEP's, they are idiots. Doesn't mean I disagree with their right to be there if they are voted in. Not that I hold someone being voted in as the epitomy of democracy, Lib Dem's are in power and no-one voted for them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are right. Basically the people that vote UKIP are bigots with no interest in real politics. I bet hardly any of them had heard of UKIP 2 years ago. Suddenly this group comes along that expresses views they know are bigoted and they could not get away with saying in their own lives, as soon as they heard they wanted out of the EU these people thought "Ah that legitimises it" and that is why people vote for them. Because they are bigoted and this kind of bigotry hasn't been as permissible since the days of Enoch Powell. Racists cannot believe their luck.

That's one hell of a sweeping statement. To counter such a weird post I've been interested in politics ( and involved ) for 25 years or so - especially local politics. I'm an ex-UKIP member ( way back in the mid 90's ) so yes, I do realise that UKIP is older than 2 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here