Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Another HUGE lottery payout.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How much of the £195m would you set aside in the @PL Charitable Foundation?

Not joking, from my perspective, at least £185m would be a starting point.

I'd look at it this way:

1. Make sure close family all are looked after: mortgages paid and debts removed, plus money for their kids and future
  2. Same for close friends - would need to be careful to define where this ends
  3. Set aside money for my children's future
  4. Pick specific good cause / charities I want to support, either with a large lump sum, or regular payments
  5. Pay for family / friends to come on an amazing holiday with us
  6. Buy a property in Australia for my mum and 1 nearby for us to visit
  7. Buy a property in France for family holidays
  8. Buy a property in another interesting country - US? New Zealand? TBC
  9. How much we need to live off for the rest of our lives

How much goes to each would be worked out either 1 to 9 or 9 to 1, but would definitely involve a spreadsheet.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Hypothetically…

If a Brighton fan won it and then gave £50mil to Brighton to buy a striker.

Could TB just say thanks and spend it on a striker without affecting FFP?

Just wondering.

(I haven’t won it)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To me it's an obscene amount for a solitary prize. How on earth do you, or could you, spend that amount of money?

I have mixed feelings about this. The number of times I have waited to pay for one small item in the queue that deals with lottery tickets, and seen what I would describe as working class customers spending £30 or more on lucky dips, scratch cards, scraching them off, ordering more shitlings, collecting some winnings, and after 10 minutes or so shuffling off having swapped £50 for a fiver, makes me wonder whether social security payments should be reduced a bit. And then I think 'how condescending; these people have a right to spend their cash, whether from a handout or bona fide income, anywhay they see fit'. So, yes, it is a tax on the poor, but frankly I don't give a damn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd look at it this way:

1. Make sure close family all are looked after: mortgages paid and debts removed, plus money for their kids and future
  4. Pick specific good cause / charities I want to support, either with a large lump sum, or regular payments

How much goes to each would be worked out either 1 to 9 or 9 to 1, but would definitely involve a spreadsheet.

Thirty years ago my boss asked us youngsters what they would do if they had a million quid to spend, with the proviso 'not property'. We spent some time coming up with suggestions.

A few months later we found that he'd bought a farm in New Zealand, and a flat overlooking Lambeth Palace.

:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd look at it this way:

I’ve often liked the idea (pipe dream) of a nice place in the Austrian Alps. The hypothetical dilemma :lolol: is that we really like nice hotels, also sampling different places.

For my own direct family, a few £m would be enough if managed to last lifetimes.

I’d also like to help decent people who find themselves in a terrible financial hole eg can’t break out of poverty despite best efforts or need expensive C treatment. At the moment I do my best by supporting a load of charities in a small way.

….. then I woke up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’ve often liked the idea (pipe dream) of a nice place in the Austrian Alps. The hypothetical dilemma :lolol: is that we really like nice hotels, also sampling different places.

For my own direct family, a few £m would be enough if managed to last lifetimes.

I’d also like to help decent people who find themselves in a terrible financial hole eg can’t break out of poverty despite best efforts or need expensive C treatment. At the moment I do my best by supporting a load of charities in a small way.

….. then I woke up.

If you son the BIG one, you could always setup your own charity or fund to support these people.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hypothetically…

If a Brighton fan won it and then gave £50mil to Brighton to buy a striker.

Could TB just say thanks and spend it on a striker without affecting FFP?

Just wondering.

(I haven’t won it)

I am wondering if the odds on me winning this prize are higher than Brighton spending even £25 million on a striker ever.???

But then I would need to buy a ticket!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
If I won .............well that would be the monorail sorted!!

I think I would be a selfish in my donations and charity. What I mean is that I would give away the majority as I have a small family and friend circle and have modest needs. so call that £15-20m max

but I would give it to local things where I can see the benefit, so scout huts all refurbished and provided for so kids can use them for free, local football, cricket groups funded, tennis courts free, take over the local pub and refit it so its a lovely place to go, schools would want for nothing, repairs and planting basically oversee the area around where I would live so it was idyllic - although not sure if the council would be happy with me taking over (or would they...)

so in summary - Southwick would be like Shangri la and everyone in it would live like kings. Everywhere else can do one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd look at it this way:

I can imagine number 2 being an absolute nightmare. It's where I often think I wouldn't want to win over a certain amount - as you are guaranteed to lose friends and end up falling out with some people.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I can imagine number 2 being an absolute nightmare. It's where I often think I wouldn't want to win over a certain amount - as you are guaranteed to lose friends and end up falling out with some people.

Absolutely this! The issues around No.2 could be horrendous. The greater the win the greater the expectation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have mixed feelings about this. The number of times I have waited to pay for one small item in the queue that deals with lottery tickets, and seen what I would describe as working class customers spending £30 or more on lucky dips, scratch cards, scraching them off, ordering more shitlings, collecting some winnings, and after 10 minutes or so shuffling off having swapped £50 for a fiver, makes me wonder whether social security payments should be reduced a bit. And then I think 'how condescending; these people have a right to spend their cash, whether from a handout or bona fide income, anywhay they see fit'. So, yes, it is a tax on the poor, but frankly I don't give a damn.

Isn't it a bit condescending to assume that the 'working class' lookalikes aren't spending their well earned cash as opposed to spamming the benefits up the wall?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isn't it a bit condescending to assume that the 'working class' lookalikes aren't spending their well earned cash as opposed to spamming the benefits up the wall?

Not sure I follow. What I said was that people have a right to spend whatever money they have, from whatever source (bona fide income, as I said, i.e., earnings, or benefits) as they see fit, despite my irritation with, in my opinion, the folly of spaffing money on lottery tickets. I was criticising my knee-jerk condescension. Consequently this allows me to conclude that if this is a tax on the poor (as it is so often claimed), so what - it's the choice of the individual to decide whether or not to pay.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure I follow. What I said was that people have a right to spend whatever money they have, from whatever source (bona fide income, as I said, i.e., earnings, or benefits) as they see fit, despite my irritation with, in my opinion, the folly of spaffing money on lottery tickets. I was criticising my knee-jerk condescension. Consequently this allows me to conclude that if this is a tax on the poor (as it is so often claimed), so what - it's the choice of the individual to decide whether or not to pay.

My comment was aimed at the fact you assumed they were getting benefits just because they had a working class look about them?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My comment was aimed at the fact you assumed they were getting benefits just because they had a working class look about them?

I did say benefits or earned income. I thought I'd cover all bases :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think it's €220m but due to the exchange rate it's about £195m. It was lower in the UK but as the exchange rate has deteriorated then our top prize has gone up.

In Feb 2020 the rules were changed, every time the cap is reached and eventually won then the limit is increased again. The limit for the cycle that has just finished was €230 million (£195 million at current exchange rates). It now increases to €240 million. The overall maximum cap is €250 million.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It’s obscene that one ticket should win £195 million.

Nobody should win that much money, how many people would even be able to function with such a huge amount of money.
The top price should be capped at 10 million, anymore is an abomination.

Unless I won it, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here