Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another "electric" night at Anfield

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Liverpool fans are THE most overrated in the world, far more so than Portsmouth. If only it was a recent Sky phenomenon, but it isn't. The "it's another wonderful Anfield European night" rubbish has always been trotted out by lazy TV dullards, well before the Champions League and Sky were born.

Let's be honest, Real Madrid are in town for a competitive match - is there a club on the planet whose fans wouldn't be up for that? And of course, Liverpool were totally outclassed. Did their fans respond with encouragement? Er, no. Rubbish fans. I hate to say it, but Man Utd's support is ten times better. In my experience, Villa fans have the best fans I've ever heard. Admittedly, their numbers ought to be better, but they do generate a lot of noise even for nothing games where their own team is gash.

It's all a perception thing - I can't say I agree with you on Villa. I used to live in Moseley with a Villa fan and missing my Albion fix used to go along to the games for something to do in the late 90's. Being sat in amongst a load of Brummie accents was my personal hatrid and I never really had any emotional interest which is what makes live sport. The atmosphere at the time was no better or worse than the Amex is now. I remember a game they played against Sheffield Wednesday where the ground was silent apart from the Wednesday fans who totally won that battle. At the time, they had a good team as well (Dwight Yorke, Collymore). In the end, we went to watch Moseley Rugby instead. That was 20 years ago of course - Things maybe different now.

I'm not going into bat for Liverpool particularly. As a 40 year old I've been surrounded by more plastic Liverpool fans than I have Man Utd ones and I was delighted to see my idiot scouse neighbour completely gutted when they blew the league last year. I've also worked in the area and most of the locals are Everton fans, certainly in the office I was in (and a much better football conversation as well). I've tried to answer the question in my mind, Who has the best fans? and I can't come up with an answer - Every team has it's peaks and troughs. I just think that Anfield seemed above your average noise levels last year much more so than City who hadn't won the league for longer than Liverpool (when they won it a few years back) albeit judged through a crap speaker on my shit telly. I'd also admit that the Liverpool V Chelsea semi a few years back also seemed a cracking atmosphere. That, though, is not to say that the gushing praise heaped on those 'great European nights' isn't nauseating and over played. The TV commentator line is based on the exception rather than the norm.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The Liverpool fans were poor until they scored but the atmosphere was pretty good after that. A shame Gerrard scored as it papered over how absolutely awful he was all match.

Basel fans hardly drew breath from start to finish. Very impressive.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Another dent in the myth that Rodgers is a great up and coming coach. He isn't. He's full of sh1t sound bites and the media lap it up.

So who WAS in the envelope, Brendan?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone else you want to have a pop at?

to answer your questions:
Yes,
No,
Agree,
Disagree
Raising his hand was stupid but still not a red card offence.

"His fingernail touches his nose," added Rodgers.

Odd question. I didn't have 'a pop' at you, I just disagreed with what you had to say.

As for WCP, well, he's the gift that keeps on giving. I try to resist, but he just repeats the same old tired cliches again and again, and I'm afraid I find it quite annoying.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He had TWO looks over his shoulder. He clearly was going for the face. Was extremely stupid and a definite red. If a player swung for a player and missed, it's still violent conduct.

Funnily enough I saw it again after writing that & realised what I put was prob wrong as he does have a look just before it. I do think it was a split decision thing & he was trying to fend off the player but got his timing wrong. Silly thing to do though I agree!

Jan 30, 2008
Sums up modern day football fans in this country just don't cut the mustard, do they really think they're the real deal sitting on their arses after paying over the top prices for the privilege, couldn't make it up honestly ,football slowly going down the pan as a spectator sport in this country, it really is
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here