Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Another Argus classic

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It, like the Daily National papers,Local TV News, and to an extent, National TV News programs, are all a victim of the good old interweb and 24 Hour News on TV. Anything that is newsworthy is all over the internet almost as it happens. Printed copy is out of date before its even printed, let alone distributed. With rolling 24 hour news programs there is a constant demand for "live reports from the scene" every 15 mins. An in-depth report now runs for less than 5 mins and barely scratches the surface of a story. The loss of decent journalism in papers and TV has occurred at the same time as the rise of the internet, digital tv and the like. Cause and effect?

I've given the Argus the option of a couple of local newsworthy and public interest stories involving fraud, a local business, the Council and Sussex Police, complete with evidence to back up the story but they weren't that interested. In the same week they published some vacuous story about Katie Price and another about some local social media influencers who I'd never heard of. They are clearly targeting their articles at the lowest common denominator as far as their readership is concerned as their comments sections confirm on a daily basis.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Argus is not fit for bog paper, my local Rag (West Sussex County Times) is still hanging in there doing decent local journalism and even manages to do two separate editions (Horsham and South Downs).

It is probably a money spinner as I have lost count of times I have bought the wrong one and only realised when I got home! :lolol:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've given the Argus the option of a couple of local newsworthy and public interest stories involving fraud, a local business, the Council and Sussex Police, complete with evidence to back up the story but they weren't that interested. In the same week they published some vacuous story about Katie Price and another about some local social media influencers who I'd never heard of. They are clearly targeting their articles at the lowest common denominator as far as their readership is concerned as their comments sections confirm on a daily basis.

A friend gave them the story of very long sentences for GBH, following a Hove Crown Court case. Pretty nasty stuff by some louts out at the night, all verifiable through the courts. He spoke to some stuck up young ‘reporter’ who was clearly not going to follow it up.

Instead the Argus online that week covered “Is this the most expensive house in Hove?”, “Green councillors slam Labour BHCC administration”, “Driver criticises cyclists”.

All very deliberately chosen to draw a war of words from keyboard warriors.

Not a newspaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here