Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Annoying habits of your other half

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V brushes her teeth while running the tap and not using it, wasting water is really annoying. Plus she can't close any of the kitchen drawers or cupboard doors quietly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I find myself hoping [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] has some contribution to make to this thread.

OK, here's one.

Quite often when its late, she falls asleep on the sofa in front of the telly. We might be watching a film or a show. The lights are on. The sound is up, sometimes on the 5.1 surround with the sub-woofer. So with all this going on, I'll glance over and sometimes she'll have drifted off. I'll wander in and out of the room, flushing the chain, getting myself a drink, eating crisps etc, not a peep. I could probably start up a petrol powered lawnmower in the middle of the living room, and she wouldn't even stir. Of course this in itself is not in the least bit annoying to me.

But.

I sometimes like to read in bed at night before properly turning in. I have a small bedside lamp that gives off a dim glow, enough for me to prop meself up and have a read. In total silence. The only sound in the room is me turning a page, and my breathing. Now, if SHE'S in bed at the same time, all I get is:
"How much longer are you going to be ?"
"Turn the light out, I want to go to sleep"
"Are you going to be much longer ?"
*DEEP SIGH*
"I can't sleep with that light on, come on I've got work in the morning"
Etc.

So I have to either grumpily don my dressing gown and take my book downstairs, or give up, turn the lamp out and abandon my read completely. No matter the fact that she's perfectly capable of sleeping in a fully lit room, with a blaring telly, a chirping bird, doors opening and closing, me clumping about. She'll sleep like a baby. But put her in a dimly lit room where the only sound is PAPER TURNING and its apparently impossible for her to nod off in that racket.

I've challenged her on this, naturally. Her response ? "Its just DIFFERENT".

Sake.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Could be a long thread, and could also possibly a dangerous one.

But let's do it anyway. Little things your other half does that annoy, possibly quite irrationally.

I'll start.

If he's watching TV and I walk in and say something, he always has to pause the programme in order to address the conversation and reply. Even if I ask a single question that takes two seconds (like "Are you working tomorrow?"), he has to pause the TV so he doesn't miss anything VITAL in those two seconds. Then he looks at me for confirmation the conversation is over, and presses Play to carry on viewing. I could understand if it was likely to be a long conversation, but when it just requires a yes or no answer...come on!

I don't really know why this annoys me, but it does....nor do I know how he coped before Sky boxes existed... :)

I find it hilarious that this annoys you. Most women would be annoyed if a man didn't give them their undivided attention when they were being asked a question - at least from my experience.

Plus, and here's the kicker, most men know they have to pay attention so that they don't say yes to something that may come back to bite them in the backside at a later date!

In answer to your question, I found out something I do that annoys my partner. When washing up, I don't wash off the suds. I just clean it and then stick it on our draining rack to let it run off. Apparently no one else does this - they clean in the soap and then they wash it off before putting it in the drying rack... which seems like a real waste of time to me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Leaving sharp knives in the washing up bowl. I've asked her 100's of times not to do it. Although karma did strike earlier this week when she cut her thumb on the carving knife she'd left in the washing up bowl.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Calling from another room "what's this doing here ?" No mention of what "this" is or where "here" might be. I've taken to replying "everything has to be somewhere, blame physics".

Turning my music off when she gets in the car but complaining when I do the same to her music.

Delaying EVERYTHING if she gets a facebook or whatsapp message.

Messaging me to get something in the shop that I left 5 minutes ago, usually as I pull up on the driveway.

Talking almost non-stop through a TV programme we are trying to watch, then asking me afterwards "Who was the chinese bloke with the hat ?"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dumping his laundry on top of- but not in- the laundry basket.

I mean, why go to the trouble of taking your dirty clothes all the way to the basket, only to find it's too much effort to actually lift the lid up and place said items inside?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You will probably find one of the top annoyances for men is women talking over television. An ex of mine was so bad I decided to go to the cinema with her instead as you can't talk in the cinema............or so I thought.

People that talk in the cinema should probably be sectioned.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Calling from another room "what's this doing here ?" No mention of what "this" is or where "here" might be. I've taken to replying "everything has to be somewhere, blame physics".

Turning my music off when she gets in the car but complaining when I do the same to her music.

Delaying EVERYTHING if she gets a facebook or whatsapp message.

Messaging me to get something in the shop that I left 5 minutes ago, usually as I pull up on the driveway.

Talking almost non-stop through a TV programme we are trying to watch, then asking me afterwards "Who was the chinese bloke with the hat ?"

Why are you still with her?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Starting up a conversation in the room you've just left. Normally when you have a hot drink or food you want to go into another room to consume. Do you return to the room she is in? Or carry on to your destination with a her shouting how rude your are as she was talking to you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How long have you got?

SNORING. Not often thank goodness but if she's got a cold or has had a few (or has a cold and has had a few) it's like a ****ing 747 taking off. Inevitibaly it will be about 1am and I will be in lovely REM sleep. I'll huff off downstairs and sleep on the sofa in a sleeping bag. The next morning she will inevitably claim that I've not put the sleeping bag back quite in the right place in the cupboard under the stairs where NOBODY can see it.

"You didn't put the sleeping bag back in the right place"
"Yes I did, it's under the stairs"
"But it should be next to the iron"
"It IS next to the iron"
"Not exactly, it should be nearer the shopping bags"

:rant:

I thumbed up the bin comment earlier. If I am not around she will continue putting things in to the bin in the kitchen until it's at 110% capcacity. Then she will moan like BILLY-O if a single thing falls out of it during emptying. When I am in, however, she will not push rubbish down when it's less than 70% ful and will make pointed remarks about it until I change it. Again, I am happy to change the bin, but I'd prefer it to be at about 90 - 95% capacity. Any more than this, if I'm not around, then fill a carrier bag and I'll sort it out when I get in.

Also binge watching absolute TOSS off the Sky box. Instead of fast forwarding the ad breaks, however, they will be used to come in to the back room, check if me and my son are watching football or playing the X-box and make very loud noises about bed time and how boring sport is.

Finally - and this is probably the biggest one - leaving things on the stairs for me to take up as she can't be currently bothered to ascend them. Then complaining that there are piles of things lying about on the stairs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
WFH today so I treat Mrs Jakarta for Lunch at a Country Pub, spend a good 90 minutes over it, obviously talking about this and that.

Get home, go back to my Office, start up Laptop to check emails and get on with some work.

"Aren't you coming into the Lounge to talk to me"

"Why? What have you just discovered that you need to talk me about that you hadn't thought of in the last HOUR AND A HALF?"

Cue much stomping around the Kitchen (next to Office) with Cupboard Doors being banged shut - it is clearly my fault that I am not a Mind Reader. :lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'll hang three lots of washing on the line - within ten minutes my wife will go outside and re-hang it saying it will never dry how I'd hung it :eek:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Washing up and leaving half the food on the plates.
Being bad at ironing.
Talking through the sports report on the radio that I had been waiting for.
Going on a cleaning drive upon hearing that we are having a visitor. Usually starts 5 days prior, and ends the night before visitor arrival by cleaning the same things she cleaned 4 days earlier.
Driving - not understanding when to go in 1st or 2nd gear. We'll be coming up slowly to a r/bout, instead of putting it in 2nd and driving on, she'll put it in 1st and lurch us forward. Putting the hand brake on before we've finished moving.
Watching dross on TV - Bridezillas, Don't Tell The Bride, Say Yes To The Dress (and no, she's not watching because she wants wedding ideas).
Not understanding football - technically or emotionally.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The absolute best is, she works 18 hours a week but spends at least 25 hours telling me about it. Even though I'm not really listening (despite saying "yes" when asked "are you listening") it has all gone in via osmosis or capillary action or something. I can tell you the names of everyone she works with, the names of their families, where they live, where they drink, everything, despite only having met one of them a couple of times. I know about the stuff she repairs, when the delivery man comes (thursday), her boss's car (Mercedes), the problem with the aircon (too cold, but also too hot).
My brain is full of this nonsense.

I'd not be without her though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going on a cleaning drive upon hearing that we are having a visitor. Usually starts 5 days prior, and ends the night before visitor arrival by cleaning the same things she cleaned 4 days earlier.

A hundred times THIS......and....

We've got two lounges, which can be useful given I hate any reality TV programmes, and she hates sport. So, FFS STOP setting the Skybox in the room I'm normally in to record two programmes at the same time (both shite, obviously) because it means I can't watch another channel without cancelling one. I'll pop my head round the door to say 'you've done it again, which one do you want me to cancel recording this time ?' to which the answer is usually 'cancel both, I'm watching one now anyway and recording the other in here' :angry::angry::angry:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I used to have quite a number, but a couple of years ago my wife died and now I'm lonely. Appreciate your loved ones whilst there here, the things that annoy you now will be the things that you miss.

That being said, I can't bring myself to leave washing in the machine for a ridiculous amount of time in homage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here