Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Англия против Бельгии (England vs Belgium)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What absolute bobbins. Are you suggesting there's no difference between playing 3 group games and 1 knockout game ? You could fly halfway round the world, get royally shafted by the ref or VARS or chronic bad luck in your one and only game at the tournament, and be on the next plane home. And thats that for another 4 years. Terrible idea.

The need for three matches is to make it worthwhile for fans to travel to the matches and get tourist money into the hosting countries. The fans would love seeing elimination matches much more than the 3/4 dull match that England and Belgium played until it suddenly changed because the national side forgot it had to get a clean sheet if they weren't going to score in this match.

What is so much better about getting 2 dull matches and one elimination match?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The need for three matches is to make it worthwhile for fans to travel to the matches and get tourist money into the hosting countries. The fans would love seeing elimination matches much more than the 3/4 dull match that England and Belgium played until it suddenly changed because the national side forgot it had to get a clean sheet if they weren't going to score in this match.

Err...the fans DO get to see elimination matches. Thats how somebody ends up winning.

Only the fans of the winners don't get to see their team eliminated. But that is usually considered to be a GOOD thing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Personally I'm delighted. During this cosmopolitan sportsfest it is essential to sample the opposition specialities.

For the Tunisia game we gorged on Lablabi, whilst last Sunday we sported Panama hats.

Last evening saw beer, chocolate and lace.

Just making a suggestion list for Tuesday :whistle:

Lebanese like a bit of Lablabi, I've heard.............

Bottle of coke for Tuesday CO2 permitting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Look at it differently. If you are choosing to look at it as 'two completely different teams', then the PROPER team hasn't actually lost any 'momentum' at all. :thumbsup:

You're a half-glass-full kinda guy. Fair play !

Whichever ends up being "right", there is now no excuse for a fully rested first 11 to not absolutely race out of the tracks against Colombia. I suspect we'll get a decent idea within the first 30 mins whether it was the right call or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s not just about the fans though. The group stage makes it worthwhile for the teams and players as well. And you’re just judging it by England’s group. At least two group finales I have watched been fantastic viewing.....would you have rather seen Germany go out to Nexico in their first and only game or have seen the group conclusion on Monday night?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I think you've lost the plot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I definitely think Southgate made a naive mistake last night. If we now don’t beat Columbia, the Press will slaughter him for killing momentum. Had we played our strongest 11 last night and still been beaten then press would said ‘fair enough’ and Columbia match is still a win win even if we lose. But now...

Last night smacked of arrogance. England were like a fine dinner last night without enough cash to pay the bill. Bit like this chap (any excuse to play!)

cough Colombia /cough

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It’s not just about the fans though. The group stage makes it worthwhile for the teams and players as well. And you’re just judging it by England’s group. At least two group finales I have watched been fantastic viewing.....would you have rather seen Germany go out to Nexico in their first and only game or have seen the group conclusion on Monday night?

Both were excellent viewing but seeing as losing to Korea included losing to mexico its clearly the latter. Seeing Neuer wandering around aimlessly in korea's half then getting disposessed helplessly like a child by his father in the park and watching forlornly as Son scampered after the hoof upfield to stroke the ball into the unguarded net was one of the all time world cup highlights.

Annoyingly even when they're being comically shit the Germans do it better than us.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I still don't quite know how he contrived to miss that, but my disappointment about missing the game on Tuesday is tempered by my belief that we now have a better chance of going further into the tournament.

I might be at work, but football's coming home!

:goal:

So, how did we do? :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here