Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray ' i may be dull like a week end in Worthing'

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Worthing weekends would certainly be more dull if Andy Murray with his dull drawl and bad haircut were to holiday there. The man is a personality black hole.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The British public on TV will be thinking of Worthing as the place Murray described though now, which I think is unfair.

If Murray mentioned a similar joke about Brighton with gay people involved, would NSC just looked at that as a harmless joke?

:lolol:

Oh. Wait. Are you serious?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The British public on TV will be thinking of Worthing as the place Murray described though now, which I think is unfair.

If Murray mentioned a similar joke about Brighton with gay people involved, would NSC just looked at that as a harmless joke?

You should start a petition.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Okay I admit Worthing is pretty dull, not many homicides, violent crimes, a pier not quite as good as Brighton.

But I sleep quite peacefully at night without too much noise:)

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Actually there is no such thing as bad publicity, Worthing born and bred and proud and its not and will ever be a Brighton, but a nice place to live and loads of Brightonians moving here as they can't afford Brighton. Only bad thing about Worthing is the awful council that can't see the future and I bet they don't see this 'Andy Murray' as a massive PR opportunity, but I am
Sure they will just sit in their ivory towers and reject a another project to improve the town, like Teville Gate?

Worthing has; fresh sea air for promenading, a lack of self-righteous snobs, a cinema with way more character than any multiplex, a modern swimming pool, great social clubs, cosy pubs, good restaurants, a pedestrian shopping street with easy access. Call it dull if you want, some are obviously content with living in cloud cuckoo land.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of my favourite things is walking along Worthing promenade all the way from Brooklands in the east right the way to Goring. For that alone, I'm in the 'not dull' camp.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Saying Worthing was dull is completely NOT what he said.

He was quoting someone who had said he was duller than a weekend in Worthing and said that that was a gross disservice to Worthing.

Having lived in Worthing all my life can safely say it isn't, and it's getting worse!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It even got a mention on BBC Breakfast, this is fast turning into the #worthingscandal

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

If jokes about gay people are homophobic, are jokes about Worthing, Worthophobic?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Either way, there is an opportunity now for Worthing Tourism bods (Visit Worthing, etc.) to go on the PR offensive and to create a campaign around this in the New Year.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if this causes the next great depression, pffft effing imbecile general public

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Having lived in Worthing all my life can safely say it isn't, and it's getting worse!!

I disagree. I was born and grew up in the town and couldn't wait to leave but every time I go back to visit friends and family, I love the place a little bit more each time and can see that there are Worthing folk who are going to great lengths to liven the place up. The people who put on the Charlatans gig at the pier, the St Pauls Arts bods, all the new pubs and bars with a much friendlier feel...I really like the place and if the council could do something about Teville Gate and the Guildbourne Centre once and for all then it could really be something.

I'm with Chris Evans. Worthing's a nice place.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
The guy, one of the most modest and self-deprecating in the sports world, was taking the mickey out of (a) himself, and (b) the Daily Mail. What's not to like?

Worthing took some collateral damage in the process, but at least got a mention.

Bill Bryson's latest book, "The Road To Little Dribbling", tends to damn the coastal strip with (very) faint praise, as well.

I don't miss Worthing at all, after living there for sixteen years, and looking forward to hopefully working until I die, to avoid having to retire to anywhere similar.

It's hard to realise your work and life potential when half the potential catchment area is under water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here