Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andre Grey tweets...

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
which is ridiculous.

Depends. If someone simply said: "Is it just me or are there are gays everywhere?" - the main body of Gray's tweet - then it's hard to imagine the speaker being arrested.

But if the speaker also incorporated what Gray's saying with the hashtags, so "Is it just me or are there gays everwhere? It makes me sick, I wish they'd die" then it's hard to imagine the speaker NOT being arrested. And rightly so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
do you think he should be ?
If he hasen't (or doesn't) properly apologised, yes, I do.

It's not ok to say that gay people make you sick and you want them to burn and die. Do you disagree?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If he hasen't (or doesn't) properly apologised, yes, I do.

It's not ok to say that gay people make you sick and you want them to burn and die. Do you disagree?
its not ok no , but its a dangerous road to go down, he isnt specifically advocating violence against a given person is he , in fact he isnt ADVOCATING violence full stop, he is simply displaying his own immaturity and insecurities , it wouldnt surprise me if he is using it to mask that hes a little bit light in the loafers himself .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Depends. If someone simply said: "Is it just me or are there are gays everywhere?" - the main body of Gray's tweet - then it's hard to imagine the speaker being arrested.

But if the speaker also incorporated what Gray's saying with the hashtags, so "Is it just me or are there gays everwhere? It makes me sick, I wish they'd die" then it's hard to imagine the speaker NOT being arrested. And rightly so.
see my reply to trigaaar, if these people muslim troopsdemo.jpg werent arrested then neither should he be, if we started arresting people for displaying immaturity and insecurities then wed have half the country in prison.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm no expert on law and punishment but I'm sure in a lot of jobs if those tweets came out into the public he would be sacked but as we know football is morally bankrupt that won't happen.

In this instance I would suggest he attends a course of education, a very large fine to go to charity and many hours of community service. If he is not seen to be punished in some way then we're showing others that they will get away with it. This is too public now for nothing to happen.

No response from his club from what I can see....I see that according to the Indie a couple of years ago Robert Huth was given the sort of punishment you mentioned for transphobic Twitter comments

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
see my reply to trigaaar, if these people View attachment 77308 werent arrested then neither should he be, if we started arresting people for displaying immaturity and insecurities then wed have half the country in prison.

I don't agree. If someone suggests violence towards a group of people the police should act. It may be immaturity and insecurity driving it but if so those would be factors in a decision whether to charge and/or in mitigation post conviction. Immaturity is not a shield against the law. At the very least, someone speaking the words that Gray wrote should be interviewed under caution as the first step in the legal process.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
its not ok no , but its a dangerous road to go down, he isnt specifically advocating violence against a given person is he , in fact he isnt ADVOCATING violence full stop
He is saying gay people make him sick and wishing death on them. That's a homophobic hate crime and it's against the law.

What's a dangerous road to go down? Thankfully this country isn't tolerating hate crimes.

he is simply displaying his own immaturity and insecurities , it wouldnt surprise me if he is using it to mask that hes a little bit light in the loafers himself .
Being stupid isn't a free pass to commit crime.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if these people
attachment.php
werent arrested then neither should he be
They're different cases. It's a hate crime to say these things against ethnic mimorities, gay people etc, but it's probably not a hate crime to say the same things against British soldiers. I don't know if the people in your picture are breaking the law.

if we started arresting people for displaying immaturity and insecurities then wed have half the country in prison.
Started? People have already been imprisoned for similar hate crimes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
see my reply to trigaaar, if these people View attachment 77308 werent arrested then neither should he be, if we started arresting people for displaying immaturity and insecurities then wed have half the country in prison.

There have been arrests. A person who put flyers around doors in Derby advocating death for homosexuals was jailed for eighteen months. Other than that, a young Muslim who wrote that British soldiers in Afghanistan should die was also arrested (which was taking things too far as if he had said the same of the Taliban he would have been okay).

It's a question of what is free speech and what crosses the line. I feel sorry for Gray as he is clearly wanting in areas of social dialogue and needs education rather than derision. People should be given a chance rather than being hung out to dry. As for those above, I care little for them. But don't think that they always escape lightly.They don't.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Does anybody not know people who said awful things when they were young, but are in fact decent people who, looking back at what they said, would be embarrassed? The difference is that whereas people of my age could be a dickhead and move on, people of Gray's age have every example of them being a dick recorded. In fact there seems to be quite a bit of evidence to suggest that he's done well to turn his life around and move on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have no idea why clubs don't ban Twitter.

There is no denying what he said was wrong, however it was 4 years ago and he was a completely different person.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They're different cases. It's a hate crime to say these things against ethnic mimorities, gay people etc, but it's probably not a hate crime to say the same things against British soldiers. I don't know if the people in your picture are breaking the law.

Started? People have already been imprisoned for similar hate crimes.

I think the bloke in the front is walking a tight line. I do find such demonstrations offensive but I'd rather such views were out in the open. I wouldn't arrest them unless they themselves were acting in a threatening or violent way. It's a fine line really. I did support the arrest of those who were delivering flyers about homosexuals being put to death especially as a gay guy received one and lived in fear of his life.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The homophobic stuff is understandably getting all the attention, but I'm amazed more hasn't been made of the misogyny. He'd 'knees a girl in the face' if she proposed to him?

Nice

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the bloke in the front is walking a tight line.
I agree.

I did support the arrest of those who were delivering flyers about homosexuals being put to death especially as a gay guy received one and lived in fear of his life.
Regardless of whether a gay guy received one, it's against the bloody law.

They recently jailed an Islamic activist who was also a lawyer and tried to cleverly work around our laws, preaching hate just within the law. I think we need to have tougher laws to stop people like that.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The homophobic stuff is understandably getting all the attention, but I'm amazed more hasn't been made of the misogyny. He'd 'knees a girl in the face' if she proposed to him?

Nice

Yes. It seems to be the last acceptable prejudice. I retain the view that, as he seems to have changed for much better, it should be left with a counselling word.

A lot of other messages by people unknown, and obviously current, seem to have sadly gone unnoticed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it goes without saying we all think he's a ****, but you can't jail him just for being a ****. His other posts were against the law, so they're getting more attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here